Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Thumbs up Sharkbite

I was in Home Depot last night picking up some odds n ends, and noticed that they're now carrying "Sharkbite" fittings. Cash Acme - Products - SharkBite® Connection System

these are the "push on" fittings that can connect cpvc, copper, or pex...similar to the "sea-tech" fittings that many have used.

they're a little spendy, but from what I could tell, not much out of line compared w/ sea-tech/watts. The do look more rugged...they've got at least some metal in them.

They had a neat little display with a "tee" fitting and short lengths of each pipe material that you could install and remove w/ the little removal tool. very quick and easy to connect.

anyway, just thought I'd post a heads-up. always good to have another option available.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
That's very good to know--thank you for the evaluation and report! We're going to have to do some plumbing work in our 310 and this stuff could be helpful, depending on what we find.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I used sharkbite earlier this year when changing out my water heater. It works on either copper or PEX, so it makes a great transition between the two. They are a little pricey. They work well, great for tight areas with limited access such as the bottom of a closet behind the water heater. :-)
I have removed them and re-installed them with no problems and if I recall, are rated for 200#.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I used sharkbite earlier this year when changing out my water heater. It works on either copper or PEX, so it makes a great transition between the two. They are a little pricey. They work well, great for tight areas with limited access such as the bottom of a closet behind the water heater. :-)
I have removed them and re-installed them with no problems and if I recall, are rated for 200#.
Dave
I have just completed the same installation. I could barely get my arms into the space available to make the water connections and probably would be still out in my coach cursing had I were using a wrench. The best advantage was when leaks kept appearing in the wrench-up connection to the tank. To retighten those it was a very simple disconnect of the Pex/Shark Bite to allow the repair. Pricey, yes. A happy connection, priceless.

Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Along with the lack of access in there, probably the best reason for me to use sharkbite was that I didn't have to stick a soldering torch in there and risk burning my trailer down around my ears.
Dave
Old 07-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I use them all, and I have tried the Sharkbite. Very similar to the Sea-tech, but more of a pain to remove. I have concentrated my inventory on the Sea-Tech as they are more available to me in the quantities that I need ( I don't get them from HD) and on occassion, I need to R & R fittings, so they are the one of choice for me.

Either is a HUGE improvement over any of the others.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Shark-bite/Sea-Tech for non-standard copper pipe size?

Would love to use the shark-bite type fittings. . . . BUT, our 75' 22' Argy seems to have a non-standard (by today's standards) copper piping . . . the I.D. of our copper fresh water plumbing is 5/8" . . . . the shark-bite 1/2" connectors are tooo small, 3/4" toooo large!

We have to replace our pressure regulator, plus a section of piping that has a break . . . .

Any suggestions for a 1/2" to 5/8" adapter . . . .

(and it's way too tight in the corner to even attempt soldering!)
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Zeigler , Illinois
I am guessing that your pipes have frozen at some time in the past, without bursting. The pipes get enlarged and the fittings won't fit. I had the same problem in my Caravel (although I had a split in the pipe) - couldn't just cut out the bad area due to the swollen pipes.

I wanted new plumbing throughout anyway . . . .
retronotold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Zeigler , Illinois
Whitelight, I didn't read carefully. Your situation with the broken section is exactly what I had. Even though I had only one split area, all of the copper in the system had swollen.
retronotold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
retronotold, thanks for this info . . . your'e right, that's exactly what may have happened to our trailer's copper plumbing . . . that's one of the great things about this forum . . . discovering others have had similar experiences! (and our trailer wasn't orginally plumbed with 5/8" copper pipe!)

yes, looks we're in for new plumbing as well . . . did a temporary fix for the vintage rally next weekend . . . . cut out the section with the split, then used a piece of reinforced PVC food grade hose . . . inserted between the two open ends of copper pipe, hose clamped in place. Works well when we use our internal water system.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight
. . . . cut out the section with the split, then used a piece of reinforced PVC food grade hose . . . inserted between the two open ends of copper pipe, hose clamped in place. Works well when we use our internal water system.
I would use 2 clamps on each end of the PVC. You might not get a 'round tuit' and get comfortable with the temp repair. Those hose clamps loosen with time.

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 07-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
and even better than that...you can get compression fittings that are 1/2" on one end, and pipe-thread on the other...into which you can insert a 1/2" pipe thread>hose barb. clamp the tubing onto the barbs...it'll hold better.

my water pump intake line was "as described" above...just a hose clamped onto a short stub of copper pipe. The only reason it held was because its a suction line. hoses clamped to copper pipe won't hold pressure for very long. but they will, if clamped to a barb.
anyway, I changed it over as I described...compression fitting (no room to solder in there! barely room to swing a wrench, either), and a hose barb. Even though it wasn't leaking before, I feel much better about it.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:35 AM   #13
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Was wondering where to find sharkbites withpout having to order on-line. Just ran the first line in the TW this weekend to start mapping the layout of the new plumbing. Took quite a bit of work to get the old copper out but it's all gone now! Seeing that the PEX tool is $100 and doesn't give a lot of room for using in tight spots I might have to go to HD. Not a place I like to go to but if they got them then so me it. The only thing I was not happy with when I was on the website is that there shut off valves are very, very pricey! A few of those and I could buy the crimping tool!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
... The only thing I was not happy with when I was on the website is that there shut off valves are very, very pricey! A few of those and I could buy the crimping tool!
what website were you on? I couldn't find them listed on the HD site....and I'd like to see a price list, to do a side-by-side comparison w/ the sea-techs...which are carried by Lowe's, btw. or at least, something that looks an awful lot like them, and is made by Watts, which bought sea-tech. funny thing there...they have a "sea tech" sign/brochure up in their plubming department...but nothing that actually "says" sea-tech on the label. whatever. they have expensive, plastic, snap-on fittings that will join copper, pex, or pvc.
just working from memory, it seems that the prices between the 2 are comparable. I think there was a larger variety of fittings with the sharkbites.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #15
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Her ya go Chuck-

PEX Tubing - Wirsbo PEX Tubing - ThermaPEX PEX Tubing - PEX Tube - PEX Pipe

Pricing and everything else! May just go with the brass fittings and crimp rings that they do in JC.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Was wondering where to find sharkbites withpout having to order on-line.
I bought my Shark Bites at my local Ace Hardware. They carry Pex also. Their web site is, acehardware.com.

Neil and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 07-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #17
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
I bought my Shark Bites at my local Ace Hardware. They carry Pex also. Their web site is, acehardware.com.

Neil and Lynn
Neil-

Do you have a part number? I just went to their site and got "0" in their search for PEX or Sharkbite.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Here are Sharkbite part numbers, I don't have the Ace numbers.
Straight 1/2" coupling is part # U008
1/2" Tee is #U362
Dave
Old 07-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
In the Home Depot ad today for the zip code 32404 (just in case it differs) they had several prices and displays for the shark bite fittings...

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
what website were you on?... I'd like to see a price list, to do a side-by-side comparison w/ the sea-techs....
Chuck, Cash Acme has a Price list on the site you originally linked.

http://www.cashacme.com/2006_Pricelist.pdf

It would be nice if these could be used for the propane supply lines also. I did not see any indication that they could be.

Steve
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote