Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
My concern is not whether or not Andy is making any money. It's about whether or not Airforums will come to a point, dramatically or incrementally, where a choice must be made between the forum members and the mothership. I don't think it would be anything as dramatic as Airstream trying to strong-arm Andy... but it could be something as subtle as the moderators having a gentle bias towards not offending the mothership.

Well, let's just hope Airstream decides to catch up with us.
Interesting observation and a well thought-out post. We have tried to cultivate a good relationship with the mothership for the benefit of both the membership AND the manufacturer of the products we have come to love. However, the old adage, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" applies here.

However that relationship goes into the future, I don't think you'll see a bias either toward or against the mothership. They'll either participate on our members' terms, or they won't. That's up to them.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
A big thank you

I want to thank Andy R, the posters and all of the volunteers who make this forum possible.....we have learned so much and have made so many wonderful connections that would never be possible without such a forum.....I am more of an Airstream fan now than ever.....sort of like they have crawled into my heart....albeit...we have a completely rebuilt vintage Airstream....so, for us, we have the best of both worlds...the look of the old with the conveniences of the new.....and we would never have known this was even possible if it had not been for this website. So perhaps the only way the mothership will profit from us is that all of those people who stop and photograph our shiny trailer might also want one immediately and if they want it immediately they might buy a new one....

I also appreciate the "be nice" rule.....and the way the moderators enforce that....I don't want to read rants or be allowed to post my own rants....so for me, this site is a blessing....thank you all. paula

PS: And if Andy R can make a profit, great for him....seems like a win-win to me.
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
Andy R, thank you for this website. I purchased a '68 AS last November. Found this website by pure luck. Your website has taught me, informed me, helped me beyound belief and at no cost to me. The education about Airstream renovations here is better than an education at Harvard (that is if you are a AS nut). We all should be saying thank you. You have provided us with information that can not be had anywhere else.
All because you purchased an old AS. If a subscription cost was necessary to keep this going - sign me up. PS, I sure hope you make some $$$ from all the work and time you put in.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #24
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for all the kind words. It's been one huge group effort and together we have created this resource.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamjudy View Post
All because you purchased an old AS.
Classic line! When people ask me how Social Knowledge got started, I simplify the story and tell them it was from a hobby. In reality it was aluminitus and my need for better tools to help facilitate the discussions. Once I saw the power of forums to connect people and knowledge I was hooked and never looked back.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Clicking on Ads

"ya wanna know how to stick it to a rich website hoster? don't click on any of the links! then he won't get paid! that'll fix 'em!"

Hmmm. I think I'll click on some ads.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thanks Andy, for everything..
From day one, when you invited me and others to your "new site"..
To the college blend of Psychology concerning the Online Disinhibition Effect and, Airstream ownership.
If I may list it..
The Online Disinhibition Effect

You Don't Know Me (dissociative anonymity)
You Can't See Me (invisibility)
See You Later (asynchronicity)
It's All in My Head (solipsistic introjection)
It's Just a Game (dissociative imagination)
We're Equals (minimizing authority))
Personality Variables
True Self?
Self Constellations Across Media
Altering Self Boundary
I enjoyed the thread's response as well.
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The relationships between Forum members is a big part of this Forum's success—for example, when we stayed at eubank's (Lynn and Maria's) campground I felt like I already knew them. Over time the relationships grow and that is as or more important than the knowledge about Airstreams.

But the relationship between the Forum and the company is very different. It is not just about Andy R. and the company, but about all of us and the company. Andy R. would have no clout at the company if there were not all the members behind him (he may not have much anyway, but that's because the company's still in the 1980's and blind to the present). Not too many years ago a corporation could control the conversation between it and existing or prospective customers, but that's not possible anymore. Airstream doesn't really advertise and it's marketing is very limited.

The public voice about Airstreams is this Forum and not the company. The company doesn't seem to have a handle on that, though some execs seem to get it. This is a revolution in who sets the company image—now we have the power as individuals and as a group. Word of mouth has always been the most effective advertising local advertising, now each mouth stretches all around the planet and everyplace is local.

It's a time of great change in communications and the rules, often unspoken, keep changing. Wikipedia now has to limit posts because it has become so important it can't afford to have lies and craziness on it. Who knows what's next for Forums?

Brasil? Always wanted to go there, still haven't made it. ¡Bom dia! My self study of Portuguese about 45 years ago has been reduced to about 10 words. Memory must have been good to have if I ever had one; can't remember.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
That's amusing... obviously Airforums.com and Social Knowledge LLC are the Area 51 of the Internet! Geez...
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX
Like the Area 51 mention, but I have 1 question,, Should it not be AirForums 51???

LOL Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #29
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Boa Noite Gene. I bet Brasil has changed a lot since you studied Portuguese 45 years ago. I like to say they skipped the 70s, 80s and 90s and jumped strait to today. It's an interesting place because they are modernizing very quickly but at the same time things are just different. Very eco friendly because they learned to live off grid because you could not always trust the grid to provide you resources. There is still great samba and lots of laid back people who love soccer!

I agree about communication changes going on in business right now. The big buzz is about twitter which is allowing companies to interact with their consumers but most companies don't have a dedicated social media outlet for their product (like AIR provides Airstream).

Maybe AIRea 51 is the right way to spell it?
Old 09-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX
Like the Area 51 mention, but I have 1 question,, Should it not be AirForums 51???

LOL Sarge
Great..~!
Let's bring up Google Earth and, check out the latest Airstream model..
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
Thanks to Andy and all the others who make this site the best resource for Airstream owners old and new. jk
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #32
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
53flyingcloud, thanks for the info about the Online Disinhibition Effect.
Online disinhibition effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are lots of interesting psychological factors at play. One that I often refer to is Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs:
Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think forums help fulfill needs in the social, esteem and self actualization categories. It's all very interesting stuff (at least to me).
Old 09-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
53flyingcloud, thanks for the info about the Online Disinhibition Effect.
Online disinhibition effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are lots of interesting psychological factors at play. One that I often refer to is Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs:
Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think forums help fulfill needs in the social, esteem and self actualization categories. It's all very interesting stuff (at least to me).
Andy,
Yes, it is very interesting stuff..
So many people of this world don't seem to have anything after the first two levels available for their basic needs.
Cheers..
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #34
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Wow, I just found the website everyone was talking about....talk about anti-Capitalism at its best!

Andy, more power to you for living the American dream. You've made mad cash and you're right now in a country where even plain-jane looking women are still phenominally gorgeous! What more could a guy ask for? If you happen to get the time, could you post a pic of the gigantic statue of Jesus....that is, if you're in Rio. I have a pic of my aunt there in 1957 (I think), when she was a stewardess for Air France.

BTW, for the curious, if you google "Airstream forums", the link to that tool's website is on page 2, fifth hit down.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I personally am glad to be a part of the forum. For the amount that I have donated, I have learned so much - a lot of value more than the yearly contribution. I, also, believe the site owner is not the issue, simply the method that Airstreams contribute.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #36
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Wow, I just found the website everyone was talking about....talk about anti-Capitalism at its best!
I don't get this? You joined in 2005 and this site sells advertising to generate income, very capitalistic actually! What did I miss?

Action
Old 09-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #37
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I don't get this? You joined in 2005 and this site sells advertising to generate income, very capitalistic actually! What did I miss?
I am pretty sure he was talking about the site that is so anti-AIR that was the reason for the original post of this thread. My guess is the owner of that site is probably one of the 20 people (with 10 or more posts) that was banned in the 8 year history of this community. It takes a lot to get banned here and those that do, typically spend their time spreading mis-truths about AIR, me or anything else they can do to try and disrupt things. The first time I read that page I felt violated and upset, it took me a little while to calm down and realize that stuff like that comes with the turf of managing online communities. Rather then get into a pissing contest, I felt it was more fun and productive to spend my time on something enjoyable.

FYI - I am not in Rio but I have been to visit Jesus on top of the mountain there, it's very impressive. I have to track down my photos from that trip.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #38
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

Action
Andy is right, I was talking about the other site.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
I notice this statement at the bottom of this site...
"Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC."
The mind begs an answer to a question.
Who is "Social Knowledge LLC" and, in what way are they connected to this Airforums?
Just a straight answer will do..
Sock it to 'em!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The truth about the Forum

OK, it's time to reveal the truth about who owns the Forum and just who Andy R is. Our "future space alien overlords" as termed by John Stewart, own this and many other Forums. There is no profit motive—who needs dollars on Betelguese 4? It is all about conquest. Andy R's real name is Zrgrough-vul-Krog and he is not in Brasil (proper spelling, see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...roper+spelling), but on the "mother ship" and I don't mean the one in Ohio.

Soon we will see "Airstream trailers" everywhere. Do not talk to the creatures in them even though their human suits are very well done. Do not wave at them or flash your lights on the highway because in their culture that is viewed as a threat and you will have your molecules disassembled. Especially beware Airstream motor homes—that's where the generals of the invading force are. It is best to surrender, however.

National Geographic had a article on what space aliens may look like: (Google Image Result for http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/photogalleries/aliens/images/primary/ET5.jpg. NG got it amazingly right.

I can only reveal this because there is no hope for the rest of you. I have sold out and been promised that I can rule over Colorado.

Gene

One actual photo is of Andy R and the other is of two moderators:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ET3.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	86785   Click image for larger version

Name:	ET5.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	86786