Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bye Bye Dinette?

Don't use it much, and it takes up space, what do you think of THIS for a 22 CCD? The arms fold down to make a single bed
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've heard that one a lot (no need for dinette or low use) and for some, it's true, but for a number of folks that have gone the route of a deleted dinette have come to regret dumping the dinette.

Looks like a cool sofa though.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Looks cool!

I did see on ebay a 22ft'r CCD that turned their dinette benches sideways, and made them into a long couch. Conversely, I think one of the front CCD sofa lounges would look cool there too. However, I think your couch/bed would be much cheaper and easier to do.

Do the legs interfer with the wheel well at all?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Fitting it in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Do the legs interfer with the wheel well at all?
Marc
That is the the question. I've emailed the supplier for height and distance between legs. I think I'm OK. Should know soon.

Tin Lizzie
Old 01-29-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi paula ford and others

that's an excellent, light weight, chic, match sofa. i have one that's 15-16 years old and it still is as versatile as ever. easy to recover, ratching arms are neat, single bed is surprising comfy. and the legs can be removed and painted/upholstered or shortened for many uses......

last time i recovered it had the arms included in sleeves so they are no longer exposed..

good choice!

2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi paula ford and others

that's an excellent, light weight, chic, match sofa. i have one that's 15-16 years old and it still is as versatile as ever. easy to recover, ratching arms are neat, single bed is surprising comfy. and the legs can be removed and painted/upholstered or shortened for many uses......

last time i recovered it had the arms included in sleeves so they are no longer exposed..

good choice!

2air'
With your fashion sense, as demonstrated by the elegant chapeau I thank you and appreciate your input. I'm very glad to hear it's held up that well.

T. L.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Where did I find it?

I got a couple of posts asking where I found the futon. Well I went internet shopping. Went back to get the sites for you and found that it had just gone on sale, with free shipping.

OK, I started a search on good old AOL typing in "modern daybed" - and found hundreds of sites. After looking at lots of black leather barcelona benches, etc. I stumbled on ones that had futons too.

Here's where I hit gold: www.futoncreations.com/metalframes.html
Did I mention it comes with 5 color combos? Of course it's in California.
I'm going to do a search for the brand name next. "Mali Flex Futon Set" - maybe I'll find it locally.

www.eurway.com and www.futonstore.com also have some interesting stuff.

G'night <--- this one is called ONLINE TOO LONG, and that's me
Old 01-30-2006, 02:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Aaaarrrggh!

Just found it at WalMart online for $188 - but only in denim...... but wait, I was wrong, they have it in the grey/black I like. About $70 less than others. I shop at WalMart - everyone does, but man they are eating the planet. I just want to find it locally so I don't have to wait a month and have it arrive damaged or in the wrong color. My usual experience tells me that they've made a cheaper version with a thinner mattress for WalMart. I think I'm going to pay the premium and get it from another supplier.

I'm going to bed. Really

Tin Liz
Old 01-30-2006, 03:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Zzzz.

If you stare at the sun long enough....

I found that they sell it at Target too, and they had reviews that said it wasn't well made. One had the legs break at the welds, another said the slats broke and the fabric got pilly.

Well I like the look, so I'll try to find something similar but higher end.

Tin Lizzie
Old 01-30-2006, 03:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That is sharp looking. Nice upgrade to the Mc Donald booth especially with the CCD interior. What have you done with your shades? Any desk mods?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner

Well I found this which appears to be better made, unfortunately the brick & morter stores are in Texas. Anyone who lives near one want to go check it out? Is the base solid metal? How high are the legs? How far apart are they? (Has to go over a tandem wheel well).

www.eurway.com and look under sofas, this is the alternate color

Tin Lizzie

Old 01-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We went the no dinette route and so far have not missed it. We do use a fold down table which sits in the aisle and can seat four when the sides are folded up. Most of the time it is just my wife, myself, and our grandson and we found we needed the extra seating and bed more than the dinette. A fold down dinette which converts to a bed was not an option due to the lack of comfort. You spend more time sleeping than eating.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bye Bye Dinette?

Greetings Tin Lizzie!

I can't say that I have ever missed having a dinette -- both of my previous RVs had one (a SunWay truck camper and a Nomad travel trailer). Neither of my current coaches have dinettes -- both came from the factory with the front lounge floor plans. The Overlander came with a wonderful, compact drop-leaf table that Fowler Interiors restored with a custom oak top as seen in the photos below:

The Minuet came with a Credenza table which while useful isn't as versatile as the free-standing table, so I purchased two of these folding wooden "sampler" tables at an Amish School auction in Wisconsin -- they were available in several sizes and I purchased the smallest (shown) and the next size larger that is slightly larger than the credenza table in my Minuet. I have found the smaller size to be quite versatile in my Minuet, and it is easy to stow in the tow vehicle if I need more space in the coach.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amish Table for Minuet -- folded view.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	18045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amish Table for Minuet -- top.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	18047  

Attached Images

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Look long enough and Ta-Da

I found a tremendous lounge in red leather at a Scandanavian furniture store today. Might be able to get it to fit. $2700.... Hmmmmmm.....

Well, back to reality check time.

Hey, have any of you checked out this website... made specially for the RV and marine industry
http://www.vehiclespecialty.com/jack.html

Now in nice orange ultraleather, that "jacknife bed" could be the one. Hi boys and girls, can you spell GAUCHO?

This might also be nice for the vintage folks who want an authentic look without the authentic smells....

Tin Lizzie