Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #6501
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I made freezer pickles yesterday, and this is one of three quart jars yield from a double batch.

I used regular cucumbers, split and seeded before going into the food processor, as they were plentiful and cheap while bulk baby cukes were not.

Were it not for a pandemic, I might have gone on a hunt for baby cucumbers, but just made do.

Yum. Two for the freezer, and one for the fridge.

Started up the Interstate this morning to take it in to have the check engine light scanned, and the check engine light was no longer on.

Took it in and paid the fee, anyway, as it seemed worthy to know why rather than something coming back to bite me in the butt at a later time.

The air filter casing or housing or some such thing had worked itself loose, so they tightened that and off we went to leave it at Don Owen for routine service and tire rotation.

State Farm is dealing with the windshield replacement, and that will occur next week.

I’d like to think I will get out again somewhere before the snow flies here in the Midwest, but we’ll have to see.

Maybe a trip up the river road in the fall...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7098EDA1-0289-40B3-B75C-480E0CF5FBBB.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	374914  
Old 08-04-2020, 10:23 PM   #6502
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Los Gatos , California
Your pickles look grand, Maggie! I have planned to make some myself, using your freezer pickle recipe, which is a variation of a recipe I've used for years. My garden is bursting with three kinds of cucumbers, so I will mix them up for a bit of variety in each jar!
WBCCI Member #5506
tlundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:49 AM   #6503
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They are really delicious, Tim.

When FaceTiming with my friend the other morning, she was baking bread and had just made a batch of orange marmalade, using this item I had never seen nor heard of.

Marmalades are very labor intensive, but this has all the tedious work done for you...dump in a pan, add sugar and water, and cook.

Thinking it was one of those things you can buy in Canada but not the US, she informed me you can buy this online from WalMart.

So, I ordered some and am going to give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8ABA6F6B-3384-4EC0-AC32-E80492AC67E5.jpeg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	374961  
Old 08-07-2020, 12:28 PM   #6504
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It has been a busy week, but things are starting to get pulled together, and my to-do list today is much shorter.

Weeds have been pulled in the beds all around the little house, and everything neatened up out there...amazing what can happen in 6 weeks of nothing but mowing being done.

Interstate has been serviced and pronounced fit, I have an appointment Monday for the water heater, one on Tuesday to get the windshield replaced, then the little buggy will go into storage for awhile.

Cataract surgery and all accompanying appointments are scheduled...the surgery cannot occur until November, because of the several month closure due to the pandemic my Dr. is now booked that far out.

I will be out of my contact lenses most of the month of October, required for 21 days before a pre-surgical appointment for something to be measured...lenses?

Meaning I will drive and conduct all my usual activities of daily living in eyeglasses, not worn more than very rarely for a only few hours since I was 16 years old.

I have never driven in eyeglasses, and don’t know that I will. Going to see how the depth perception and peripheral vision lays itself out in eyeglasses before making that decision...there is always Uber.

I know lots of folks who’ve had this done, and report it being uneventful, so I am looking forward to waking in the mornings and being able to see.

It’s Friday, so I’ve cleaned the little house, because that’s what I do on Friday mornings , and a loaf of bread is just out of the oven...because I am never really home from a trip until I’ve baked a loaf of bread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	576BC0F0-42E7-4954-B776-91E3BE7E3FE7.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	375129  
Old 08-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #6505
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
DW and I have both had cataract surgery in both eyes. The California desert sun is rough on eyes.

Doctor has done, at last count, an estimated 10,000 of these operations without issues. We had to figure it out when I asked him, he didn’t keep track and was a bit surprised at that estimate.

Careful measurements are to determine the size of the replacement lens and the diopter (power) of the lens. That requires dilation of your Iris and will interfere with driving back from that appointment. Get a designated driver for that trip.

Took two trips each, and they worked on our non-dominant eye first. Only pain was using a lot of eye drops for pain and healing and antibiotic. Messy to install by yourself.

Did need a designated driver to take us home after and wore a clear eye shield and dark sunglasses to protect the fresh incision for a few days. We took turns.

Our vision is now back to better than it was, can see better in the dark and now, a year or so later, need a new eyeglass prescription. Neither of us wear contacts.

I was surprised at just how much better I can see now.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #6506
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, thats what I am told by everyone...a simple procedure, just a complicated lead-up.

My son will go with me for the two surgeries, one eye at a time, a week apart.

I am looking forward to being able to see when I get up in the morning.

Maggie
Old 08-07-2020, 09:49 PM   #6507
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It was a huge improvement in our case. Worth the slight discomfort and eye drops.

I’m very eye phobic as it is, and eye drops just aren’t my favorite thing to do.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #6508
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So my MaMade arrived the other day, and this morning while watching “Meet the Press“ I made a batch of orange marmalade.

I would not have undertaken this from complete scratch, as in whole oranges.

One can, a 4lb bag of sugar, a little water, and 45 minutes or so in the kitchen.

Used up all my empty jam jars, and then some.

Going to give most of this away, starting with the largest glass you see...for which I have no proper lid ...to my son and his brood, who will make short work of it.

There is something immensely satisfying about completing something for which you have immediate, tangible results.

Whatever it is, there is the “I accomplished that.

One must take pleasure where one finds it. Small things are good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6758A0C3-5996-42E3-B3AB-6A2E6506E80A.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	375294  
Old 08-11-2020, 06:08 AM   #6509
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tevoert’s in Bloomington installed the new sensor on my hot water heater yesterday, and it should now be good for many years.

At the bargain price of $67.50 for 45 minutes work, and no charge to fix the connection on the solar extension cord.

The Uber guy who brought me home yesterday morning said he had been using Tevoert’s for his autos and RV for over 40 years.

I am sooooo pleased to have found thru Don Owen a network of small, local businesses who do a more reliably better job on my Interstate than Peterbilt and Cummins, and at a fraction of what the bigger guys have been charging me.

Doug always said “it’s a truck” about where to have work done, but those decisions now being mine I like having a face to face relationship with those whose hands are on my rig.

I’m sure he would approve, given some of my experiences since he’s been gone.

Get my replacement windshield here in a bit, then those things are done for awhile.

Treated myself yesterday to Chinese takeout from my favorite little place just a mile or so from me, and arrived to see they have created a little no-contact, pickup kiosk in what used to be their doorway entrance.

Made of unfinished plywood and the heavy, clear plastic we're seeing everywhere, payment is made thru a small slot, you then lift a small door where your food has been placed by freshly gloved hands.

People are finding ways to go on, adapt, survive. It’s what we do.

The school districts here had planned to open later this month with modified scheduling, now have decided to continue online classes and re-assess in October.

I actually had an in-person doctor visit the other day, masks required and no physical contact but my blood pressure check.

Next appt will be another telemed.

Life in a pandemic.

Finished this book last night, and it is a remarkable story based on real people and true events...tho the writing is not the best, in my opinion, it is well worth a read.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4D1BAF11-B274-4531-833E-879B24600DBF.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	375490  
Old 08-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #6510
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Years ago, while Doug and I were still working, we took a vacation to Massachusetts and Maine which included a week long cruise out of Camden, ME on the Schooner Lewis R French.

It was one of our most favorite travel adventures.

We had a return trip booked in early retirement, but a torn cartilage in my knee prevented us from going.

There has been an annual newsletter around Christmas each year, and we-then-I have enjoyed keeping up with the French and its crew.

When we sailed with them, maybe 15-16 years ago, Jenny was crew at that point but she and Captain Garth were already a couple.

They married a year or two later, and now have these two boys who since very early on have been learning the seafaring ways with their Dad.

Over the weekend I received their sailing-in-the-time-of-covid newsletter, including that they had, after much prodding, opened a GoFundMe account to raise money to help them stay afloat so as to sail another year.

So, I made a donation...because why not, and I’ve given to several worthy causes I’ve never before donated to in these past few months.

It is a difficult time for many.

I thought I would share the story and these pictures from their latest newsletter.

They are hoping to be up and running for next season, and if y’all are interested in a great adventure on an old wooden schooner, The Lewis R French Is captained by a very skilled and good man, and will be an experience you will not forget.

https://schoonerfrench.com/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2E54CEFA-2727-4003-BE17-13C9F88F722C.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	375543   Click image for larger version

Name:	0B15FF78-4AAB-4DA5-844C-01FC5EF4CC7C.jpeg
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	375544  

Name:	7CF9064A-D0D6-4AD9-868A-A89A49B6B415.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	375545  
Old 08-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #6511
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I made freezer pickles yesterday, and this is one of three quart jars yield from a double batch.

I used regular cucumbers, split and seeded before going into the food processor, as they were plentiful and cheap while bulk baby cukes were not.

Were it not for a pandemic, I might have gone on a hunt for baby cucumbers, but just made do.

Maggie,
This is interesting, I’ve never heard of, or considered, freezing pickles. May have to clean out the freezer to make room but I will be trying it when my cucumber plants produce this fall. Same with the orange marmalade. We have some type of wild sour orange tree on the side of our property and I tried to make up a batch of eatable marmalade this year. It’s a lot of work from scratch! After adding way too much sugar I gave up on it tasting like the real thing, but it is good added to my Greek yogurt. I don’t eat much jam and jelly myself, but as you say it makes a nice gift, and my mother eats it on her French toast every Saturday so I will order the Mamade and give it a try. But first I intend to use up the rest of the mangos I froze at her house last year and make some jam.

Sounds like your travels were satisfying and enjoyable this year, if not as complete as planned. Making best of this pandemic is all we can do. Take care and enjoy your time at the “little house”.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #6512
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
. . .
. . .
Thanks for the recipes. I was surprised that it is OK to freeze the glass jar. I guess the vinegar-base brine does not expand the way water does when frozen?

Is there crumpled up wax paper at the top of your jar, as one of the clipped recipes calls for?

Our family would make pickles from small cukes, based on a WWII recipe using [pure] Saccharin, instead of sugar, which was rationed during the war. Dry mustard and many chunks of fresh horseradish root too.

A large pickling jar was always sitting on the kitchen counter, and the small "culls" from the vines would just be rinsed and tossed into the jar. You had to use a large spoon to find the older ones, which were yellow from the mustard. Or if you wanted a crunchier fresh one . . . no prob.

Good memories . . .

Thanks again,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #6513
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Carol and Peter!

I have never used waxed paper at the top of my jars, but do always leave at least 1/2”-1” headspace at the top for expansion.

I have also made over the years many, many jars of freezer jam of various sorts, frozen successfully in jars.

In my early days, these pickles were frozen in quart plastic containers, but I have gotten away from most plastics in recent years.

When I had a garden I used my own baby cucumbers for these pickles, which are the best, in my opinion, but large ones seeded make a fine product, as well.

I’ll bet, Carol, that when you taste these you will say “hmmm, I’ve eaten these somewhere before”.

It’s the dressing made with apple cider vinegar that I especially love.

The orange marmalade is thick and delicious, and was just kind of fun to make. Tho you could can it, I have stacked it in the back of my frig where my friend says it will keep well for many months.

I’ve been cleaning and sorting and ridding out this week...took almost all of my “good blacks” from my work days and dress up dinners out with Doug to one of the good thrift shops here in town.

Someone who is working where dress attire is required at times, and/or who lives a life I no longer live can hopefully put them to good use.

Took another big bag of more casual clothing to Goodwill, and this morning cleaned out my cupboards and below sink cabinet in my bathroom.

Garbage pickup is tomorrow, and it’s time.

Bought a quart of outside trim paint yesterday while in Menard’s for a filter for the AC/furnace, and early this morning began touching up trim.

I have steel siding, so there is very little needing painted, fortunately.

Needs to be done, and I’m in the mood for doing it.

Going to my sons for dinner this evening, and cookies are just out of the oven to take with.

I’m having a small coffee and am ready to set a spell.

And that’s all from the little house.

Maggie
Old 08-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #6514
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Maggie,
As I follow your busy day, I realize that you get more done in a day than I do in a month.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #6515
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Julie, and great to hear from you!

Doug would say of my to-do lists and energy level, “it’s a mixed bag”.

There’s a place for all of us, is the truth, and if we were all the same of whatever sort what a boring place it would be and nothing would be accomplished on many levels.

Stay safe down there.

Maggiw
Old 08-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #6516
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the recipes. I was surprised that it is OK to freeze the glass jar. I guess the vinegar-base brine does not expand the way water does when frozen?

Is there crumpled up wax paper at the top of your jar, as one of the clipped recipes calls for?

Our family would make pickles from small cukes, based on a WWII recipe using [pure] Saccharin, instead of sugar, which was rationed during the war. Dry mustard and many chunks of fresh horseradish root too.

A large pickling jar was always sitting on the kitchen counter, and the small "culls" from the vines would just be rinsed and tossed into the jar. You had to use a large spoon to find the older ones, which were yellow from the mustard. Or if you wanted a crunchier fresh one . . . no prob.

Good memories . . .

Thanks again,
Peter,

At one time glass was the only thing used for both freezer and refrigerator storage containers. I sure wish I had the nice thick glass containers my mother had during my childhood. Like Maggie I have tried to eliminate plastic in my life, and so I freeze food in canning jars all the time. The only problem has been from overfilling and using jars that are too old. Yes, I’ve broken a few but I fully intend to continue using glass. Crumpled up wax paper may help to keep from overfilling the jars and I think I’ll give it a try.

Peter those pickles sound very interesting and if you’re willing to share the recipe I’d like to try them as well.

Thanks,
Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #6517
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Maggie and Carol for the details about freezing glass containers. I will dig out that WWII recipe in the next few days.

I just discovered this Backyard Brine line of pickled stuff made about 5 miles away from us:

https://www.backyardbrine.com/

The local paper wrote them up, and the nearby IGA carries the line. Lots of unusual flavor combo's, and the quality is top-notch.

Cheers,
Old 08-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #6518
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug turned me from a tea drinker into a coffee drinker, soon after he moved into an apartment a block from me about 8 months after we started dating.

He would walk down early each morning, we would have a cup or two of coffee together, visit, and start our day.

In widow life, I have long since given up a full sized pot, and gone to the little ones that make two good sized mugs full.

However, the one I’ve had the last year or so does not keep coffee really hot once brewed, the second cup needing to be microwaved and tasting just...off.

So, looking at somewhat better coffee makers, I like the idea of one cup at a time, but hate the idea of those little plastic pods.

I found this item by Hamilton Beach, and have had it 10 days or so.

https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Hamilt...A-Catchall_PLA

You put your own grounds in the little basket, pour your mug of water into the receptacle, push a button and it makes a really good cup of coffee.

Takes less than 60 seconds to set it up, and another minute or so to brew.

I ordered two extra little grounds baskets, so that I’m not dealing every morning with a wet basket for my second cup...and because sometimes there is company for coffee...also cute little paper basket filters made for a Java-Jig, which fit the permanent filter on this nicely and because I like better the taste of coffee that goes thru a paper filter...not so much the sediment in the bottom of an unfiltered cup.

Cute, no?

It would look very nice inside an Airstream, and in particular my Interstate, tho it’s really too big for the latter.

I’ve joined the cup-at-a-time coffee world, on my own terms, and I like it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1D85F389-9374-4F75-98AB-E8B977CD8420.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	376242  
Old 08-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #6519
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks Maggie and Carol for the details about freezing glass containers. I will dig out that WWII recipe in the next few days.
. . .
Here is the recipe I followed . . . from just before 9/11 . . .

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m092501.htm#3

I actually found a printout of that page in an old box.

His archives are still active:

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/archives.htm

. . . although the last copyright date I see is 2015. Lots of weird down-south and homey recipes IMO.

Have a good weekend.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #6520
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Morning coffee while reading my online subscriptions to the New York Times and the Washington Post always includes the column in the Post by Carolyn Hax.

Some days more relevant and applicable to whatever in my life than others, this morning she is responding to a wife dealing with COVID safety issues and a saboteur spouse.

The wife has moved out, and wants to know how to move forward.

Carolyn responds...

You don’t even try to. Sometimes, not knowing what to do next is a step in itself: the one where you stay right where you are until you can envision what a sensible step after this one would look like.

Thank you, Carolyn.

Get up every day, do what must be done, your part, your responsibilities, etc., and trust that in the quiet....if you pay attention, allow yourself and your thoughts and feelings to still...you will find your feet, and a path will always lay itself out.

And sometimes, as you see a light at the end of the tunnel, you realize you are in a different tunnel than when you started...that’s all part of it, and it’s okay.

I believe this, and rely on it, especially in recent years.

Carolyn Hax. A good thing.

I was struggling a lot with whether to reschedule the trip with the grands to Glacier...with a pandemic ongoing, ya know...but when I got online and saw that Amtrak is waiving change and cancellation fees, it seemed a sign to go ahead.

The kids want to go, and on the train. So, we’re rescheduled for next year, and hopefully it will occur.

Puttering inside and outside the house, tending to and tidying up this and that, continuing ridding out, having dental work to replace a failed veneer with a crown ...nothing too exciting going on, but I’m finding plenty to do.

Needing to be home partly because of the pandemic, also to set aside time for extended dental appointments and the lead-up to cataract surgery in early November, not using the extra time at home to take care of things I have been putting off would just be...wrong.

It’s a gift of time, right???

Maggie