Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2020, 08:01 AM   #6281
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The view up from my chair yesterday afternoon.

We’re having near perfect weather, and dolphins have been just off the beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77CA7403-AD9C-4E94-9116-CAE599DC0FAE.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	362975  
Old 03-10-2020, 10:50 PM   #6282
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hi Al, and thanks for that tip!

Those sound exactly like what I need, and it might even be worthwhile to replace them all with ones that have that light.

I’ll look for them!

Maggie
One source:
https://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-00.../dp/B0000TX800

One caution - Something on the circuit has to be turned on for the LED to illuminate.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:12 AM   #6283
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ahh, I’ll try to remember that, and thanks.

Maggie
Old 03-12-2020, 05:39 AM   #6284
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hard to believe there are just a few days left of my annual pilgrimage to Edisto, and we have had absolutely glorious weather this week.

Such a beautiful and peaceful place, it feels like a second home to me.

I was a little concerned that the site I was able to get for this stay would be a bit like being in a fishbowl, but it hasn’t been.

Everyone passing by when we’re out speaks, lots of people stop to chat and admire the rig, and a couple from Canada came by the other day who had admired my accommodations when I was here last year, inspiring them to trade in their pop up van for...a PleasureWay.

I’ve passed out quite a bit of the HistoriCorps literature they sent me, as many couples retired for awhile are interested like me in having purposeful travel, and projects they can do together.

A retired couple from Massachusetts just a site up from me are in a 20’ van they beautifully built out themselves, and we have spent a fair amount of time visiting and sharing food.

He is one who loves to pore thru the piles of shells here, looking for blackened bits of metal, petrified sharks teeth and other oddities, while I am more into the shells so when I found about a 3” piece of Indian pottery out there yesterday I passed it on to him.

I think that’s the first piece of that I have found here on this beach, and the design on it is different than what I saw at Botany Bay last year.

History under our feet.

I haven’t cooked my entire stay, heating in the microwave prepared entrees from King’s...this week I’ve been eating Lasagna and Artichoke Chicken Casserole.

Absolutely delicious.

Went the other day to fill water jugs and make a stop for a few things at the nice little grocery down here, and treated myself to lunch at McConkey’s Jungle Shack, always a favorite of Doug’s and mine.

They have an outdoor deck, where Lily is welcome and they bring a bowl of water...she loves it.

Had to go there at least once.

Watching the coronavirus unfold around the world and in this country, it is difficult to predict how my own and loved one’s lives will be affected, yet I have a deep sense of foreboding about it and feel certain there will be an impact.

My medical social worker daughter in NY, who does community based care for a hospice unit, got an email the other day telling her entire team to see patients but otherwise work from home until further notice...and to anticipate that going out may eventually be restricted.

I feel no sense of panic, but it’s a bit like watching a train wreck in slow motion, as it’s still coming, not really “here” yet.

We need to do what we can as individuals to slow the spread of this virus, protect those most vulnerable, and keep from overwhelming our health care system...most particularly, our finite resource of ICU beds and respirators.

Six years ago today, we made the decision to remove the machines after 3 days on life support, Doug died, and life as I’d known it for 27 years changed forever.

He’ll soon be gone longer than the 6 1/2 years we traveled together.

It does get easier to carry, is the truth...mostly peaceful coexistence with the past, and those who were in it, can and does come if you work on it, that’s my experience.

Get up, keep going, do your part, work on being forward facing, and have faith that a path will lay itself out. It always does.

I don’t always feel him close to me, but he still communicates, and clearly, on occasion...telling me something, giving guidance, his words come into my head as certainly as if he were still alive, and I know without a doubt that they are from him.

And I’m grateful.

Rest In Peace, Doug.

Maggie
Old 03-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #6285
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thinking of you today on this difficult anniversary.[emoji257]

Hard to believe that it has already been 6 years.

You have had quite the journey in the last 6 years. Thank you for sharing as many of us have learned a lot.

Grief is a price for love. One most of us are willing to endure to have all the incredible times.

I think that most of our loved ones would want us to continue "our" dreams and hopes should they be gone before us. Doing so is a whole different story.

Blessings to you both.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:04 AM   #6286
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

There are at least a half dozen BVans here this week...another Interstate, a RoadTrek, PleasureWay, Travato, the beautiful self crafted one just up from me.

Many people returning here for their umpteenth time.

It is that kind of place.

Maggie
Old 03-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #6287
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have done a good cleaning of the Interstate this morning, the usual inside chores plus the areas beneath the seats in front and took everything out of the rear area to remove dog hair and wipe down.

Lots of breeze here, temps very moderate, sun is shining...a good day to clean.

And, I drove to the dump to empty my tanks, then to the city water access to fill my water jugs for the trip home.

I still have probably 20 gallons of fresh water in my tank, but may not do a campground all the way home and don’t want to be caught short.

The coronavirus epidemic is an ever present threat looming, kind of like a severe storm system on the horizon that hasn’t made it to you yet and you don’t know exactly what it will look like when it is actually in your face.

I am not at all panicking, but aware, and it being out there will guide me as I make my way home.

Our Governor has closed all schools in Illinois beginning on Tuesday, and my son says the grands will then continue with classes online.

Stopped at the BiLo here before coming back into the campground this morning, the parking lot full and almost everyone carrying big packs of toilet paper.

No antibacterial wipes to be found, but Isopropyl 70% alcohol buy two, get one free, so before they were gone I got my three and shared them here.

Going to put half a bleach tablet in a gallon jug of water and use that to wipe down cans and anything else that comes in from the outside, and make a stop at a WalMart after laundry tomorrow to pick up a few things that should get us home.

All you can do is all you can do.

Stay safe, everyone.

Maggie
Old 03-15-2020, 03:45 AM   #6288
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Stay safe my friend. The realities of winter and the virus thing are keeping us at home until we see how this pans out.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:07 AM   #6289
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gerard, and thank you.

I think that sheltering in place is wise, and is what I plan to do once we are home.

Take care.

Maggie
Old 03-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #6290
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We pulled out of Edisto Beach shortly before 7:30 am, and by 10 am we’d gotten to Charleston and had two weeks worth of laundry done up...all the bedding, of course, as even with air-outs and Febreze everything smelled like Lily , plus the rugs.

Everything sandy, dirty and odorous, but now not.

The laundromat was busy at 8:15, lots of traffic in Charleston and no sign of coronavirus effect, until we went into a WalMart after the laundry.

Lots of empty shelves throughout the store, none of the coveted items like hand sanitizer, and the place was busy.

I grabbed another 20lbs of Pedigree for Lily, also snagged some more coffee...because it was there, tho supplies were dwindling, and it is a critical item for me.

The women near the door who check receipts had rubber gloves on, and I also noticed signs on the doors that new temporary hours are 6am-11pm, probably so they can stock shelves overnight.

We are in a WalMart near Augusta for the night, where the parking lot is full of shoppers.

I’m done shopping for awhile, have enough of the essentials to get by for a couple of weeks, and we’ll see what things look like then.

Maggie
Old 03-16-2020, 05:17 AM   #6291
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We were down early and slept hard last night, tucked away in this lot with only one other RV in sight and far enough away that I felt comfortable turning on the generator this morning to run my little coffee pot and turn on the Optional Heat feature on my AC unit.

One of the things I really appreciate about this particular Interstate, tho I seldom use it, is that the TV plugs into a 12volt outlet in the rear area, allowing me when I have signal to watch my favorite NBC news without a source of electricity.

Lily has had a run and rip around the back area of this lot, taken care of business, and we are waiting for daylight to get back on the road.

I do feel there will come a time when movement, period, is restricted for a time in this country.

I am glad we will be home in a couple of days, and will be able to do that there.

Stay safe,

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01E08FB8-D20D-4A0F-8741-66AB034BD624.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	363362  
Old 03-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #6292
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have an appointment first thing in the morning to get the lines blown out and winterization done, as lows in the 20’s are coming at home and I just can’t muster the energy to winterize...again.

There is lots of traffic on the roads, plenty of trucks, no overt indication of the virus spreading and the warnings to stay in.

Maybe everyone else is heading home, too. I have seen lots of RV’s from northern states heading that direction.

Getting up early to check the news and then on the road as soon as I can see in the mornings, I have to admit I am preoccupied with what is happening in our country, also the world, and can’t wait to stop in the afternoon so I can check the news feeds.

Sometimes I can get an NPR station on the radio while driving, but mostly I cannot.

Cases of this virus in Illinois almost doubled since yesterday, and they are popping up in counties surrounding ours...so it is just a matter of time.

We have stayed at WalMart parking lots the last two nights, tonight in a campground so I can have a real shower and dump my tanks in the morning.

Stopping for fuel and coffee, using an antibacterial wipe for the gas pump and then again on my hands when I get back to the Interstate, I have hopefully kept myself safe.

If I get sick, I want to be home when it happens, as my son is there to take care of Lily.

Tomorrow, the little house.

I still have a lot of firewood, and everything else we need for at least awhile, so we will hunker down and watch from inside.

I’m supposed to take the Interstate back in to have the battery tray replaced, but will not be surprised if non essential businesses are soon closed.

Stay safe, everyone.

Maggie
Old 03-18-2020, 06:56 AM   #6293
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for all the updates, Maggie, safe home.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:45 AM   #6294
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Peter.

This quote is from a recent NYT editorial, and it aptly describes my feelings...

Every time I get a news alert on my phone, I hear James Earl Jones’s voice in my head, saying, “Mother of God.”

Stay safe, folks.

Maggie
Old 03-18-2020, 10:08 AM   #6295
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
St Lawrence , Pennsylvania
You may want to investigate getting Sirius XM radio for the vehicle or just the smart phone app if you have unlimited data on your smart phone.

There are so many options with IHeartRadio, Radio.com, or TuneIn radio apps for a smart phone that also that broadcast the sound for the TV networks such as Fox, MSNC, CNN.

You could also listen to your favorite local radio station-almost all have some internet presence.

If your decide to acquire SiriusXM, always barter with them to get a better deal.

For about $100 per year, I will defer other wants just for it.
rjmaype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #6296
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Glad that you are home safe Maggie.

I listen to MSNBC using the app Tunein. It works fine and it is free.
For music I listen to Pandora. It is free also, but I do pay $5/month for it to be add free.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #6297
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for those suggestions, both of you.

My brain feels a bit fried, and it looks like a hurricane has occurred in my house.

Tomorrow...I will create order out of chaos.

One of my superpowers.

Maggie
Old 03-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #6298
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Unpacked, finished unloading the Interstate, and ran the vacuum cleaner in the little house...order reigns, once again.

Have a fire going, as I bought extra wood last fall and it is sooooo comforting on a chilly, rainy day, especially with all that is going on right now.

First thing this morning, I put vegetable beef soup into my crockpot...nutritious comfort food, and will feed me many times.

Stay safe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2650B3BF-EE21-4349-AA5F-D43B6380ED56.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	363516   Click image for larger version

Name:	6BF0912F-F4B3-4B7B-B192-507D2B7D2A76.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	363517  

Old 03-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #6299
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Chicago Tribune has just announced our Governor will be ordering a shelter in place for the entire state, effective tomorrow.

Essential travel, only.

I got the Interstate in for the new battery tray they had ordered for me, and an oil/filter service this morning, then to storage, just in the nick of time.

Pulled all food items, toilet paper and paper towels out of there and stored in the little house.

Hunkering down, Level II.

Stay safe,

Maggie
Old 03-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #6300
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When things are tough, make tea.

The ritual, itself, is soothing and comforting.

We don’t know what things will look like at the other end of this, and the light we finally see at the end of the tunnel may be in a different tunnel than what we are in now.

Get up every day, be responsible, do your part, trust that the light will eventually show itself, a path will lay itself out, and we will come out the other end.

Some will struggle through this more than others, we should each do what we can, where we can, with what we have to give.

Deep breaths.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CE6013F7-55F0-4F8D-9427-95B6A3B399C1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	363575