Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
lakeland , Florida
Send a message via AIM to nursematt
Warning if selling your RV

Just wanted to let my fellow rver's know about a little Scam that was tried on me. Chime in if you have had the samething happen to you. The situation: Selling rv posted on internet. Get email from someone saying wanted to buy it. period of 2 months went by and got another email saying sending check for "deposit" with balance upon "inspection and pickup". The "deposit arrives a wk prior to "closing" and inspection. The very next day get a call and email with a sad story and request to "immediately" sent money to someone else, with many apologies for asking this task. Well needless to say I didn't fall for it. Started checking on the check, contact person the money was supposed to have the money western union. The party never told us where he was from or any personal info. Envelope the deposit arrived in was from nigera. Got many request with "person waiting for the money". "send the money", etc. Finally able to chase down the bank and of course the check was fake. Just wanted everyone to watch out for such Scams. So watch out for people sending checks with too much money and asking for a refund immediately knowing the check would not be processed in time to get the feedback.

Matt
nursematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thanks for the heads-up Matt!

I have heard of this scheme, but have never been a victim of it.

Oh, and WELCOME to the Forums!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Scam

A friend of mine had the same thing happen. She was selling a boat. Got the same check. She almost depositied it in her account but decided to wait on her husband to get home. Good thing she did. They wanted her to ship the boat to Fla. She contacted the local police. So while the check was clearing, these thugs would get a free boat and she would be stuck with a bum check! Its sad that there are some people that would fall for it. She didnt even notice the check was from California and the postage was from overseas. Good thing her husband has a little more wits about him,lol! Im glad you caught it in time.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Matt,
They have been doing the same thing on automobiles for several years now. It was only time before they spread out to other items. Thanks for the advice.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
If there even a mention of Nigeria, it is a scam.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
As with everything, if it smells....

Buyer beware.... Seller beware....

"Horsesense" needed!

If it smells like hosesh*t, then it very likely is!

Just my .02 cents

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Another variation of the same scam is where the buyer needs the unit shipped overseas. They send you a (bad) money order that is several thousand more then the sale price. They ask you to wire the additional money via western union to the "shipper".

Two weeks later the bank tells you the money order is a fake, the money you wired is gone and no one came to pick up the trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
If there even a mention of Nigeria, it is a scam.
Come on you guys, how could you fall for it. It is not just Nigeria it is England and multitude of other countries and different scams. HAVE A BIRD IN YOUR HAND, CASH THE CHECK FIRST. They also hit small businesses to purchase large quantities of goods. Had a guy from Chad who wanted 2000 NGK spark plugs and he was to send me a check but he needed them right away and asked me to ship them the day I get the check. I told him that it would be much quicker if he wired the money to my bank [not directly my account] after which he hung up the phone. "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I get those requests for parts in my e-mail almost daily. I reply back just to play with them if I have the time. Get them all excited by asking shipping and packing requirements, re-checking product numbers, etc.

Then I tell them that the shipment is ready to go, but I need a letter of credit from their bank or a wire transfer to mine, not the credit card that they wanted to use.

Strangely, I never hear from them again!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That happened at a tire store I worked for. A person called on the phone, and wanted to purchase 100 tires for shipment overseas. Payment by credit card over the phone. Shipped to Morocco. Yeah, right, hold your breath while I do that...
Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 AM   #11
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
"Off-ice shore angling"

I call it "Off-ice shore Angling" done from the office as implied....

I usually try to get them to accept items of barter like Pigs, Hogs, Swine, Pork sandwiches, pickled pigs feet, ham hocks, etc. They seem to lose interest but it is fun while it lasts.

It is amazing how long these fish will stay on the hook. I have them up and down with despair. About the time they get mad with me, I ease up act like I am still interested in the deal and get them back on the hook only to play some more. Whohooo, Fish on!
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Boatdoc hit it. I'm happy to send anything anywhere provided that the buyer wires money from his bank to mine. That'll get you dropped faster than a hot rock!

I did sell a non-existant horse once to a Nigerian to be used in a movie. I don't know how he was going to get it to Africa, but he paid me $7,000 for the non-existant horse! Would you believe he sent me a counterfeit check? I was shocked!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:36 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
I did sell a non-existant horse once to a Nigerian to be used in a movie. I don't know how he was going to get it to Africa, but he paid me $7,000 for the non-existant horse! Would you believe he sent me a counterfeit check? I was shocked!

Roger
Roger, I'm appalled!
I would have sent a dead horse, with shipping charges due, to wherever the scammer wanted it.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Be very wary...

I am involved with audit and security issues for large credit union board as pro-bono effort, and stories are really sad today... It is probably safer to assume any "Deal" involving overpayment, remote shipping, overseas buyer or more than two parties (you and the buyer..) is more likely fraud than not. Here are a few more things to be very careful about...

1. Cashier's Check can be cashed or deposited at bank, and you'll get credit, but some take as long as 2 weeks to fully clear or come back as phony.. No matter what the story, if check is ultimately bad, your bank or credit union will hold you responsible for the money.. Asking your bank if check is good before depositing doesn't change outcome... You should identify bank and find contact information and call them yourself to get feel for prospects.. (A good crook will have phony phone number of friend printed on phony check..)

2. Counterfeit Postal Money Orders just as common as counterfeit bank and cashier's checks... Anyone with a laser printer and some computer skill can create one...

3. Also be careful with wire transfers.. Giving someone else all your bank wire info can lead to a wire "withdrawal" rather than deposit, and money lost by wire is lost instantly and forever... If you're going to accept or set up wire, talk carefully to your banker, and ask them how to do it most securely...

4. Few local law enforcement agencies can or will deal with these scams.. Local Police, District Attorney, Postal Inspectors and FBI have all declined to even listen to sad stories.. You are likely on your own...

5. If you do get big bundle of cash, don't worry about IRS and just fill out the Currency disclosure forms when you deposit it.. Happily the Comptroller of Currency doesn't share info with tax people... Failing to fill out forms can lead to more problems...

As they say on Hill St Blues re-runs... "Be careful out there..."

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Yes, worry about the IRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
5. If you do get big bundle of cash, don't worry about IRS and just fill out the Currency disclosure forms when you deposit it.. Happily the Comptroller of Currency doesn't share info with tax people... Failing to fill out forms can lead to more problems...
Any business who receives $10k or more in cash is required to file Form 8300 with the IRS and the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. This would include financial institutons.

________Tom (Soon to be a retired Internal Revenue Agent )

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I swear these folks that pull this stuff really need to be hung from the nearest tree. What is it with Nigeria that a good number of scams start there anyway??
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Here's another one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Susie is a single mother who found a "work-at-home" opportunity on a lonely hearts website. She sent in her address, DOB and SS, and was hired as a consolidator and shipper for a foreign company.

Pretty soon lots of merchandise starts to show up on her doorstep. As instructed, she packs the stuff up and sends it off to Nigeria, or Romania, wherever. Her employer will re-imburse her later for the shippng cost.

Little does Susie know that all the merchandise was paid for with stolen credit card numbers. The vendors assumed the customer was safe because it was a U.S. street address.

Next, Susie receives her first paycheck. It is for more than her salary, so she has to send back the excess from her personal account. You know how that one turns out.

Now the police show up because the merchants who have been sending stuff to her house want their money. Susie is off to jail for her unwitting part in this fraud.

While Susie is in jail, the scammer is having a good time with the credit cards he got using her DOB and SS number.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thats so sad...I take back the hang from the nearest tree and submit, public executions for them instead.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Scam the Scammer

If you want to see how to scam a scammer go to Dumbentia -Scamming the Scammers and click on Sister Lillian and the Convent of Blood. This is one of many.

de Jon AC4XE
ac4xe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
What is it with Nigeria that a good number of scams start there anyway??
A couple of reasons. First, Nigeria is a very poor country, and the people there think that we all have millions of dollars in the bank, and we will never miss the few thousand they take.
Second, Nigeria has a very weak government and judicial system, and criminals take full advantage of it.