Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If I had an engine I cared about, I would not run WVO in it. Biodiesel is a much better alternative. WVO will eventually cause all sorts of problems as gums build up on rings and other mechanical parts. Biodiesel conversion of WVO will produce fuel superior to conventional diesel. I have done a lot of research on this. It takes work to do the conversion but how much are you saving running WVO if you ruin a $5000 engine? I got rid of my diesel and am happy about that.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I got rid of my diesel and am happy about that.

Perry

I dunno' - I just bought a new diesel car, and am now running three diesel vehicles (four if you count my Kubota tractor!), and with almost a million miles in diesel vehicles, I couldn't be happier. There's a reason why, despite the higher initial cost, half the vehicles sold in Europe are diesels. But you DO have to think about them differently, care for them differently, drive them differently.

My research and somewhat limited experience tells me that not all engines like biodiesel - not because of fuel properties, but because some of the fuel system seals, gaskets, etc. get degraded by it. Not to say it hasn't happened, but I've never personally heard of anyone running WVO having issues with stuck rings, valves, etc. - but then again, everyone I know doing this is super careful about fuel filtration and because of viscosity issues, you do have to start on regular diesel or biodiesel (if your fuel system will tolerate the bio) and then flush the pump(s), lines, the whole common rail or piezo injectors, etc. with "normal" fuel again at shut down. It's sort of a pain to operate and costly to set up ... but then again, IF you can get your basic fuel free or nearly so, operating costs are low. And if it's from a renewable resource (mostly corn), it at least appears to be more nearly carbon neutral and clearly reduces foreign oil dependence.

Now if we could just get the price per gallon of "dino" diesel fuel more nearly in line with refining cost as compared with gasoline, I'd be a really happy camper!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Older diesels may do fine on B20 or even higher, but many newer ones (EPA Tier 3 emissions control or higher) will not. My Interstate, which has a 3-liter Mercedes turbo-diesel meeting Tier 3 specs, clearly states in the Mercedes Sprinter owner's manual, to use no more than B5 biodiesel. B20 will hurt it in a variety of very expensive ways.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I do still have a Kubota tractor that is diesel and it has been trouble free but then again I bought it new. It also has none of the EPA BS that has caused a lot of issues with more modern diesels like the EGR coolers on the 6.0L Fords. I would not have anything that uses DEF. Yes biodiesel can cause seal problems. It also cleans any crud out of your fuel system and can clog filters.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote