Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Batesville , Mississippi
New guy needs help

I have inherited a 1995 Classic 36, low miles, good shape. I am having trouble with chasis battery discharging. Replaced battery still no go. My father had the alternator replaced, however even though the alternator is charging enough to keep the engine running it will not last when the motor is turned off--not charging the battery. There is a #8(I'm guessing) red wire that is in the area of the alternator, but it is not connected to anything. Can someone tell me where this wire goes or is there a wiring diagram available somewhere. I really would love to utilize my new toy. Thanks for any help.
Casey Lipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Casey,

Congrads on becoming the proud owner of a classic, and welcome to the forum.

There could be many things that are causing your battery to discharge, including the fact that it might not be charging at all. You could have a bad battery (even new ones are sometimes bad), same for the new alternator (these things are known to eat alternators, have yours checked), a bad isolater, improper hookup., bad grounds, dirty connectors or terminals, a paracitic draw somewhere, loose belts, and a number of other things. It is really hard to determine what your problem is with out more information. How long until the battery is discharged? Have you fully charged the battery first? Pictures would be nice.

Also, there are a number of threads here in the forum dealing with just what you are experiencing. Do a search on "alternator" or "charging system". There is even one about that red wire you are talking about if memory serves me right.

I am by far no expert on this topic, but I have had the same problem at one time or another. There are many really bright and talented folks on this forum, and I am sure that one of them will be able to help you. But do some poking around in here and some inside your MoHo and come back with more insight, it would really help.

Today being Saturday, many folks are out camping and might not see your post for a while. Just keep at it and let us know what you find.

Good luck,

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote