Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2002, 06:34 PM   #1
Krazykraut

Are all Airstreams invisible?

I put 8000 miles on mine MH and have yet to see any other Airstream MH or Trailers on the road. Are they like the Sailboats I look at from my house, never leaving the docks. I have a 26 ft Wellcraft, I have been taking out in the gulf for the last 15 years and never seen any sailboats out there.
Did see a Airstream Vintage trailer semi permenant docked at the trailer park in florida for sale.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
KK,

I have been wondering about that as well. I am not sure what the numbers are but as far as A/S trailers I feel there were a lot more of the larger ones built, (27' and over) and they seem to attract more of the live-in crowd and hence they aren't pulled around much. Out of sight out of mind? Of course that is just my observation. As far as motorhoms go I don't think there are many of them period. I have heard that WBCCI membership is down so maybe A/S ownership in general is waning. All this SOB crap on the market today, hybrids, trailers with garages on the back, I've even seen a trailer with a rear porch on it at my local A/S dealer the other day, looked like a freakin' beached houseboat. I am only 37 and yearn for the old days already!! I see the new A/S has a slideout now, hope it helps them out on sales.
chas
Old 12-04-2002, 07:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

In my town of 180,000 I only know of one other one besides mine. It's a 19 footer (but not a Bambi) and I go out of my way sometimes just to drive by her and take a look. We took a 1200 mile round trip to the Texas Big Bend last month and I saw two A/Ss and both were vintage and parked behind farm/ranch houses.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
One lucky weekend......

at the end of September I saw 7 on the road between Cleveland and Indianapolis! One of my neighbors has a 67 sitting there rotting away, he won't sell it. I know where there are 3 more in a 20 mile radius that get used regularly. A local RV dealer has one for sale, in the used lot. They are out there, you just have to look!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Questionable

CHAS

Quote:
I have heard that WBCCI membership is down so maybe A/S ownership in general is waning.
You might have something here but, you sure couldn't tell it from the thickness of my WBCCI membership book..

I can agree with the fact implied that not all A/S owners are members of WBCCI, but not that A/S ownership is waning..
ciao
BTW, I really like the way your unit turned out..Very nice work~
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 08:02 AM   #6
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
On our 10,000 trans-continental odessy this fall, we saw only a handful of A/S trailers rolling on the highways and NO (NONE) Airstream Motor Homes on the entire trip spanning 67 days. Wonder where the motor homes are ????
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 10:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The motorhomes are in sunny Florida, not enjoying the freezing weather, I hope.

But sometimes, they are invisible, just like the invisibile things they run into.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 11:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
The uniqueness is precisely why we started the MH rally to begin with! You never see the MH's. We had seven (7) at Mystic Springs earlier this year. I am shooting for 21 in 2003! It was amazing to see 7 in one spot at the same time.

As for the trailers, I saw 5 on my trip to and from Cedar Key (Florida) over Thanksgiving. One owner waved out the window and I felt bad I didn't wave back in time. The WBCCI rallys are the best place for trailer spotting. Usually a bunch.

I did see one Land Yacht MH. I could not put a date to it as I was driving my own MH at the time and was suposed to be watching the road. My guess would be early 90's LY 36' rear EW queen. Tag Axle. Bright blue stripe instead of the darker blue and red of the later years but I didn't get a good look since I was driving!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 12:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
My summer trip up the Appalachians and down the east coast 2000 miles, we saw 0 AS motorhomes, and only a few trailers. I have seen only 2 on the road in the past year.
My wife even gets excited a bit now when she is the first to spot an AS on the road.

Right on Fred, that's why the Mystic Springs rally will be a growing "don't miss it" annual event!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 01:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Guitars-

I too live in Garland. There are a few A/S around here, but not many. Most are stuck in a storage lot somewhere out of sight.

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:17 PM   #11

In my neck of the woods, you can spend your entire life on the road and never see one

Ron
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 05:29 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Common as Jack Rabbits here....

I can think of 10 or 12 in town off hand, excluding ours (two or three abused and worth nothing more than parts). 8 or 10 in the RV storage for Fort Bliss and 2 or 3 more being used at the campground next to it. On Wed. going south into El Paso on Rt. 54 my wife and I saw a 31' headed north. Saw another 31' headed south on 54 two or three weeks ago. One of our club members takes his 21' to our overnight and three day outings. Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 06:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

AS sightings

My wife and I have created the AS call-out game similar to "slug-bug"...we even include movies and TV. Our kids, 6 & 2, have even gotten into the act.
While on our trip from St. Louis - Mt. Rushmore - Grand Tetons - Yellowstone- St. Louis this September...I/we only saw 1 MH, 7 (seven) TT on the road and 4 (four) TT "in the yard"...saw a couple of Avion "in the yard" also.

Recent movie we saw with the kids w/ AS TT - -SNOW DOGS. And who says they don't have anything good in the movies anymore?See if you can spot it while watching.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 08:36 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Oopppps.....

Guess I should have mentioned this in the previous post, 1 is a MH,sometimes in the driveway and sometimes not so I guess it gets used. Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 09:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
WBCCI

53 Cloud,

Thanks for the comments on my Argosy. Feels good to get it "over the hump" as far as the intensity of work. Now I am down to the petty things like curtains and a rear window awning.
On another note, I agree that I may be off somewhat in my analysis of the "Invisible A/S" syndrome, I am known to enjoy a beer or two while perousing ( is that a word?) the forum and at times it can cause the creative juices to overflow.

( I need to check that word!)
chas
Old 12-06-2002, 01:08 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I can't attest to years past and current numbers, but when you produce 15 trailers and 6 motorhomes a week (the figures the factory gave us in the summer of 2001), you aren't going to get a lot of production over the course of a year. Figure model changeover and other holidays, and if production of the trailer line stays at 15 per week, that 750 trailers a year based on 50 production weeks. Now thats not a lot of new trailers to spread across the entire nation.

I heard though that this year has been a banner year for Thor overall, and that Airstream has been at full production.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 01:27 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
When I was at the factory a week ago, we were told they want to up production to 20 trailers a week.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 09:23 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Cool

Hi All: We have a 1988 345 classic, we travelled in it for 18 months mainly up and down the Atlantic coast and across canada. The last few years we have not used it much, BUT this Feb. we will be heading south, so be on the look out for us and WAVE WAVE when you spot us. It is true though that so few mh are seen on the road.

Happy travels Howard and Ann
howardann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 10:58 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Well I for one was also somewhat surprised by the lack of Airstreams on the road. The most I saw on my recent journey back home was 5 AS parked at Circus Circus in Las Vegas. Three of which were parked together and left together - one newer Bambi, and did see one MH. Occassionally, we would see one AS trilers or two at a campground but only counted three on the road - always traveling in the opposite direction I was. My road home included down route 1 of the Orgeon coast, through San Fransisco (yes, did the golden gate bridge as well as downtown San Fran). Then I headed through Bakersville,CA, stayed one night - and Las Vegas. Then cut through across interstate 10 and stayed at Fredrricksberg, TX (in the middle of nowhere - a totally German town)... Then did New Orleans, Kingsland, GA, my hometown Charleston, SC and then the ride home to PA....
Old 12-07-2002, 12:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Where I'm staying, there are: one 2001 Land Yacht MH, three 70's model TT, one 80's TT and one 90's TT. A park down the road has about four TT.
I've seen more A/S TT & MH's on I-95 between Daytona & Palm Beach, than on my entire trip back from BC.
John
p.s. I bet AZ & NM have more A/S TT & MH's than any other region of the US.
John is offline   Reply With Quote