Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Any info on Hooker headers?

Although my mechanics know that we can use Thorleys with a little mod, they recommend Hookers. They are twice as much, but are better quality and no mods needed. They also suggest Flowmaster pipes/muffler. All told, about $1200. Good, or should I drive 1 hour to Camping World and do the Gibsons?

I'm clueless.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 04:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
As long as they are heavy wall tube I don't think there is a lot of difference. Headers are designed for an rpm range, are the Hookers lower rpm longer tubes?

The biggest thing I would expect for $1200 is stainless steel headers, pipe, and mufflers. That is real steep for plain steel.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I pretty much told them that I want Thorleys installed, the model 303Y, and they said Ok, but that I would have to get the Flowmaster stuff with them at the same time. I don't know what the material is, but they said it would be 600+ dollars installed (Flows included) plus what it costs me for the headers on my own. So that's about 900-1000 bucks. The 1200 was with Hookers.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Headers

I like Thorleys. Why do they need modification? They're on many, many Airstreams, including mine. Putting any headers on is nasty work. The Flowmaster series 70 muffler is $100. The Thorleys are @$300. Pipe is pipe. I know Norcal mechanics like money, but I can't see more than 4-5 hours, even if you have a broken bolt or 2. Shop around.
fangthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 06:46 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
I have had car with headers before and have had the hookers as well. When it comes to needing performance they are great. Headers do have drawbacks though. Unless properly installed they are prone to leaking and sometime will still leak or burn out early. If I was looking for reliability and longetivy I wouldn't consider headers but go back with stock cast manifolds. Thats just my experience in the past. They may be making headers with better materials now that im not aware of.
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote