Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Neslon , British Columbia
Making New Coil Mattresses Work?

I am looking to find a way to make pocket coil mattresses work. We are averse to foam mattresses (aging spines + foam can be so hot in the summer). Anyone have any experience with this? We have found a potential source at "AB Lifestyles" if we find an affordable 19 ' renovated Airstream.
andrepiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Fwiw we found the stock 7" foam mattress in our '16 FC to be hot and not very supportive (you'd sink in, then it was hard as a rock.)

We recently bought a three layer 11" "Denver Mattress" Supreme. It sleeps much better, and does not cause the aches and pains we had before. We really like it so far.

Might be an option to look into if the coil option does not work out.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrepiver View Post
I am looking to find a way to make pocket coil mattresses work. We are averse to foam mattresses (aging spines + foam can be so hot in the summer). Anyone have any experience with this? We have found a potential source at "AB Lifestyles" if we find an affordable 19 ' renovated Airstream.
What do you mean by "make pocket coil mattresses work"? Either it fits the available space or it does not.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I had these people make a custom pocketed coil mattress for my boat. Not cheap, but oh so comfortable. I'm glad I did it.

http://www.comfortcustombedding.com/
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Wray , Colorado
Heres another source that says they can make any kind any size all made in america. http://www.militarysupplyhouse.com
We haven't ordered yet so can't vouch for the company but think were gonna.
Agradad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Schaumburg , Illinois
Good evening..
I believe that (andrepiver) is asking about "making the mattress work" possibly refers to the queen size mattress that is in the rear of the AS and has on corner cut off at a angle to create some clearance. perhaps the request could be a little more specific to the size location, orientation of the mattress, and the model and year of the AS.
After that, there can be more helpful answers. We are here for you.

"Peace in our time"
pressdr
Pressdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Due to weight, particularly in lifting the bed, if your does lift - to allow storage, as well as trailer weight you might consider a Sleep Number Air mattress. Each side has its own setting. My husband needs a soft mattress. I prefer a more firm one. That is what we use and are satisfied.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
Original Mattress Factory

OMF did a great job making an inter-spring mattress for our twin beds but they weigh about twice as much as the original foam mattress.
MaiziesGang is offline   Reply With Quote