Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2004, 06:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Disappearing Posts

Do posts disappear? How does this happen? Are they retracted or what? Just wondering.
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Is there a particular post you are looking for?

We move posts all the time. Usually these are threads that start out in the wrong place, like "Water Leak" would be posted in the "How to use these Forums". That is the most common ones that are moved.

Sometimes I go into the Restoration sub-forum and do major housecleaning and move treads to their proper category. Sometimes it just gets away from me and I try to play catch-up.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Sometimes I delete my own posts because the link doesn't work , wrong info , wrong spirit , or just to make you think you are losing your mind
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Sometimes I delete my own posts because the link doesn't work , wrong info , wrong spirit , or just to make you think you are losing your mind
Problem with deleting is if your the originator of that thread it will delete all the responses. So if there is some good information in replies that others have made coment too then do a edit on the post so that the info others are using is not lost.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Didn't know that. Kind of powerful that delete function. Only delete my own misguided prose and don't think I did a thread. Now that I know I will not do that, unless I'm having a really bad day and everyone is disagreeing with me, and it's clear I'm wrong.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:39 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Problem with deleting is if your the originator of that thread it will delete all the responses. So if there is some good information in replies that others have made coment too then do a edit on the post so that the info others are using is not lost.

Ammmm.......

Not quite. If your is the only post in a thread you started you should be able to delete it. If anyone has responded the system should stop you from deleting the thread. You can blank out the original post, but not delete it. If your post is the second or later one then you can delete it.

Moderator hat on:

We would prefer that you not delete whole posts out of a thread. This can cause confusion if it has been there for a while and has been quoted. If you wish to correct yourself, go ahead, the post will show it was edited. Some members actually place a line that states on edit:

There is no harm in editing to better clarify a point, etc. We want you get the information you need as well as share the information you have.

Moderator hat off
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Lost post while editing

I had just finished writing a long post. When I hit submit I got the you are not subscribed message. When I logged in ( I had already done that ) my thread was gone. Is there anyway to recover it?
GiaPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I delete my own posts often. It happens when it becomes a double post, as in I hit "save" but it took forever until I was convinced it was waiting for me...then displayed a double post. Or I make two posts and decide I can edit them down to one more pithy <snarky> response.
Or, after reading my post, I decide it's not relevant enough. Zap!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:28 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Recovering "Lost" Post

Hi GiaPK:

Sorry to hear you lost your work. The following may help if you are using a Windows based laptop or computer.

Next time, when you submit and get the error message, type "CTRL + Z". This is a command to your operating system to step backwards in the order of operations.

If your message reappears, left click in the body of the message and type "CTRL + A" (select all) followed by "CTRL + C" (copy).

Then log back in to Air Forums, navigate to the thread to which you want to post, open the "reply" window, click in the body of the window, and type "CTRL + V" (paste).

To avoid timing out there are a couple things you can do--when logging in to a site click "remember me" if that option is available and click "Preview Post" every so often. Doing so "hits" the server, telling it you are still an active user resetting the timer.

If you are writing a lengthy post, especially with many photos or other graphics, you might consider composing it in a word processing program first. When you have it ready to go, log into Air Forums and cut and paste from the word program. This works great if your photos are resident on a photo sharing website like Flickr that generates BB code links to your photo. Not so much if you use the on-board photo sharing function--you will have to paste in your text and then manually add the photos using the "Manage Attachments" feature.

I'm not an Apple user, but I would imagine there are similar commands in the Apple world so perhaps an Apple user could fill us in on the appropriate recovery sequence for Apple machines.

Been there and done that!!

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaPK View Post
I had just finished writing a long post. When I hit submit I got the you are not subscribed message. When I logged in ( I had already done that ) my thread was gone. Is there anyway to recover it?
If you have left the error message page then no. If it happens in the future (Windows user) click on the back arrow button in the top left and you should be able to go back one page. If that doesn't work, try a right-click on the back arrow to see a list of previous places. Your entry was probably the second from the top.

You should stay logged in all the time (remember me) or you will get timed out and lose a long post. As others have said, you can just use a text editor then copy and paste into the post window.

One other thing, while you're in the message, use CTRL-A and CTRL-C to copy your text BEFORE pressing Submit or Preview. Then if you get an error message you will still have all of your text in the buffer and can paste it into a text editor to save.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:27 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post
Hi GiaPK:

Sorry to hear you lost your work. The following may help if you are using a Windows based laptop or computer.

Next time, when you submit and get the error message, type "CTRL + Z". This is a command to your operating system to step backwards in the order of operations.

If your message reappears, left click in the body of the message and type "CTRL + A" (select all) followed by "CTRL + C" (copy).

Then log back in to Air Forums, navigate to the thread to which you want to post, open the "reply" window, click in the body of the window, and type "CTRL + V" (paste).

To avoid timing out there are a couple things you can do--when logging in to a site click "remember me" if that option is available and click "Preview Post" every so often. Doing so "hits" the server, telling it you are still an active user resetting the timer.

If you are writing a lengthy post, especially with many photos or other graphics, you might consider composing it in a word processing program first. When you have it ready to go, log into Air Forums and cut and paste from the word program. This works great if your photos are resident on a photo sharing website like Flickr that generates BB code links to your photo. Not so much if you use the on-board photo sharing function--you will have to paste in your text and then manually add the photos using the "Manage Attachments" feature.

I'm not an Apple user, but I would imagine there are similar commands in the Apple world so perhaps an Apple user could fill us in on the appropriate recovery sequence for Apple machines.

Been there and done that!!
Thanks so much . I won’t let this happen again.
GiaPK is offline   Reply With Quote