Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Our '69 tradewind

posted the cleaned up version of the AS. In the coming weeks, new flooring, rest of cabinets and fridge removed for refinishing, and new appliances coming in. Lastly, rebuilt side goucho and U shaped dinette up front instead of the missing twins. But Electrical and waste water are done, all new pex fresh water and new tank going in this winter.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
great work!

congrats on the start of a great reno! It looks great so far, please post more photos as the time goes on.....

Renee
dnrtheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I looked at your pictures. It looks great. That looks like a factory rebuild!
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
more photos posted

well have more photos posted from today. Floor is virtually finished (still need to do inside the bathroom wardrobes). Kitchen cabinets are back in, and the new doors are on. AC install is finished and the walls/ceiling have their finish coat of paint (the PO had already rattle canned the interior "cheap paint silver". Just got the cabinet doors and bathroom doors back on this afternoon, still need to do so more work on them, not 100% happy with the stain match from panel to panel. Weatherstripping windows and doors this month and finishing up all the screens. Winter project will be the couch, dinette, and fridge cabinet (all demo'd by the PO).
Old 09-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
You have certainly done a nice job of your trailer so far. It will be a lot of fun once it's done and you can get out and enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the finished version. Am I correct in understanding that it will debut in the campgrounds next spring?

Barry
Old 09-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
yeah, it better be, likely won't be 100% done with the polishing, but mechanically finished and interior finishes. Either that or we'll be in a tent.

we're still deciding on exactly how we want to do the dinette, seen many variations on here, just haven't figured for sure what we like best. Can't wait to have those cabinets in and the appliances, will start to feel whole again in there.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Finally some progress

Well after a couple months of crazy work schedules and tight paycheck months, we saved up enough to work on the next phase, getting the cabinets built and appliances on their way. (January 1 we get to order a new fridge, range and hot water heater)

Last couple days the dinette and goucho frames are in. Still have plenty of carpentry left then it gets turned over to the Mrs. for the soft stuff. New freshwater tank is in but not fully secured down yet.

Its finally starting to feel like a camping trailer instead of a cargo one! New Intelipower installed, so now the 12v works, and all the 110 is checked out and screwed up wiring from the PO repaired. Decided to create a 1 foot storage area and shelf along the front for all the pillows, bedding etc. Will have two removable counter sections to access that area.

Here's a few new pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1299 (Small).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	51319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1296 (Small).JPG
Views:	185
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	51320  

Old 12-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
VERY nice work. It's exciting when it gets to this stage and you can feel and see it coming together. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Merry Christmas

Barry
Old 12-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Smile interior cabinets work day #7

Well another bit of cabinet work (we're much slower than we were before our one year old) finished and the kitchen is almost ready for appliances which I get to order on Monday. Brand new Dometic 2652 refrigerator, Suburban Range and new water heater.

I was able to carefully remove the sink window frame (plastic) and repair all the cracks with fabric and abs cement (wow it worked well), then some epoxy fillers on the finish side. Lastly filled the voids in the back with foam-in-a-can to provide more support where the roller shade latches to hopefully limit further cracking. With that in I can finally install the backsplashes.

We decided since the entire fridge cabinet had been tossed by the previous owner and that the fridge itself was going to be replaced that a single door unit with a small freezer wasn't very practical for a family airstream and decided to go with a double door unit. We loose most of the spice rack and minimal useful countertop (its still there just really tall).

the extension of the roof locker face frame will allow us an area to mount the on-off switch for the new water heater, and perhaps a switch for a couple fans in the fridge scoop. Does having these fans make a difference on the newer models? I'm not sure if the reduced air flow area when they are off out weighs the positives when they are on. Easy to install now, harder to add/remove after the unit is installed. Advise is appreciated.

Have to stain the face frame on the fridge cabinet and on the front storage area and install the counter nosing as soon as we get that ordered from outwater. Once the stain is dry I can also finish installing the end of the kitchen roof locker which I had to extend to meet up with the slightly wider refrigerator cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1398 (Small).JPG
Views:	154
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	51686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1405 (Small).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	51687  

Name:	IMG_1407 (Small).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	51688   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1410 (Small).JPG
Views:	131
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	51689  

Old 12-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
You have done an outstanding job so far. It's nice to see the fruits of one's labor at the end of the day/week/month. What a great rig this will be to get out with the family camping this year.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Barry
Old 12-30-2007, 11:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
We're getting more and more excited about it, but still tons to learn, and can't wait for it to warm up so we can get working on the outside as well. We've learned a lot from these forums and other members forums. How do we ask a moderator to change the title to "our 1969 tradewind" so we can keep updating the thread with new info as we progress?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons
We're getting more and more excited about it, but still tons to learn, and can't wait for it to warm up so we can get working on the outside as well. We've learned a lot from these forums and other members forums. How do we ask a moderator to change the title to "our 1969 tradewind" so we can keep updating the thread with new info as we progress?
Pop an email to any of the mod's and ask them if they will do the change. Janet, Mel, and many others are mods.

Your energy level on the trailer resto is contagious.

Keep it up and you'll have the rest of us out in the cold rather than waiting till spring....

Barry
Old 12-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
haha well I'm excited to work on it, but not enjoying the teens outside (average of 17-19 degrees each day) and with no propane hooked up yet I'm just heating the trailer to about 50 degrees with a little 110 ceramic heater (I do all my staining and varnishing in the garage). All the cutting, sanding and assembly though is taking place out in the driveway, snow and all. BUT I had this last week off work, and there is going to be a sudden reality check on the 2nd when work resumes and my AS projects go back into evening only mode for awhile. I'll email them on the thread title. Thanks for encouraging words!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Question junk it or save it?

Now we're excited. Ordered from Palomino parts a Dometic 2652 fridge in the black frame, a 22" direct ignition black range and a direct ignition 10 gallon Suburban water heater this morning. Said we should have it within a week. Man-on-man I can hardly wait!

My question is on the propane system. I have 2 new tanks installed ready to go. With the shutoff valves at each appliance off I've pressure tested the lines with the regulator removed and no leaks over a 12 hour period.

The regulator I know nothing about, a Marshall model 230. Shows signs of being outside (rust on the screw heads, discoloring of plastic parts). Unsure if it works or for that matter how to test it to see if it works other than hooking it up. New hoses are in order either way. Is this worth testing/keeping or should I replace with a new model?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1430 (Small).JPG
Views:	132
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	51827  
Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Question appliances are here, but have questions

New appliances arrived yesterday, so took the afternoon off to get started (I couldn’t help myself). Refer slid right into the cabinet, but had to relocate the electrical with a low profile box. All attached, wired, just need to rerun the gas supply through a new hole as the old is directly below the burner (now patched) and just no way to run the pipe safely. As soon as we get a little warmer I can stain the face frame of the cabinet and the door skins (its 14 degrees outside right now).

Range turned out to be 1.5 inches shallower than the original , shame on me for assuming the measurements, but at the point of the counter didn’t know we were going to replace range so used old counter as a template. New range otherwise fits great, so having a 2” piece of steel cut and powder coated black to match and will use as a filler panel. Going to make the final connection on the gas and its ready to go as well.

Water heater - so we hadn’t worked inside the water heater cabinet or the wardrobe next to it yet other than basic cleaning. The soon to be closet for my wife had a pvc pipe wine rack installed (yeah just as upscale as it sounds) which after removing with the trusty sawzall found some rot closest to the outside wall of the water heater in the next bay. That was last night, so after working on the refer and the range to day I decided I better see what mess was under there. I finished removing the water heater to find a 8” or so area around the gas line rotted completely away. Solid wood very close, and looking in was surprised to see all the outriggers and frame look as if they could have been painted yesterday (no rust at all). There was no seal around the gas line coming through the bottom of the Bowen heater, so guessing the water just followed that gas line hole into the plywood. Will have a small patch to install but rest of wood is solid and unstained. I have to do a jog in the gas line inside the belly pan as the fitting for gas on the new suburban WH is directly above one of the stabilizer jacks. Will at least have access to make the jog (about 8”) while I replace that small section of floor. Also was able to remove the last traces of the copper from behind the toilet area.

Will be able to check for leaks and fire things up as long as the new lp regulator and hoses arrive before the weekend.

Two questions:

1. Is it worth (or is it possible even) to rebuild the old water pressure regulator? I need to get a replacement plug for the screen as it was cross threaded and the cap was softer (thankfully) than the cast housing. Would guess any rubber parts are long since compost. If not worth rebuilding are there good quality replacements available? Camping world units looked rather cheap in comparison to the old one.

2. Should I use rubber hose (I was thinking 5/8 heater hose) or something else where the gas lines pass through the belly pan and floor? Appears the sleeve that crumbled was at one time rubber.

Thanks for the advice. Here's a couple pictures of what got done
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1439 (Small).JPG
Views:	114
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	52576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1440 (Small).JPG
Views:	122
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	52577  

Old 01-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Red face

Any suggestions? thread was disappearing into the abiss.
sure would appreciate advice from some of the veterans.

-Scott
Old 01-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons
Two questions:

1. Is it worth (or is it possible even) to rebuild the old water pressure regulator? I need to get a replacement plug for the screen as it was cross threaded and the cap was softer (thankfully) than the cast housing. Would guess any rubber parts are long since compost. If not worth rebuilding are there good quality replacements available? Camping world units looked rather cheap in comparison to the old one.

2. Should I use rubber hose (I was thinking 5/8 heater hose) or something else where the gas lines pass through the belly pan and floor? Appears the sleeve that crumbled was at one time rubber.

Thanks for the advice. Here's a couple pictures of what got done
I'm not an "expert" but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once...

1) I wouldn't bother attempting to rebuild. Try your local hardware stores, they should have a suitable replacement. I simply use one that screws to the hose inlet. Not the cheap plastic one, but a quality built brass one. I actually got it at Wal-mart.

2) Definitely use something to protect the gas line. Rubber hose should work fine, or a flexible putty material to protect and seal.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thumbs up $$$$

So first mistake, Wife and I purchased the AS so we could have an affordable, safe, and good looking means of camping with our new family (2 of out 3 ain't bad I guess).

Today installed the backing plates bearings etc on our new axles from Inland RV. 4 new Goodyear Marathons C's are in route to us as well. So we figured out that our tax return, spent on axles and tires alone well exceeded the purchase price of the entire trailer! Saturday they go in, and with them a better ride to not beat the tar out of all the work we've done inside, and good brakes bearings and tires. Camping season is coming fast!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1546 (Small).JPG
Views:	135
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	55564  
Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
On the water pressure regulator I purchased a couple of brass ones from the local RV repair place. I installed one permanently on the inside of the water inlet. The other I have on my hose on the end that goes to the faucet so I don't do damage to my water hose (again). Silly me had it on the other end and at one CG many moons ago the pressure would surge. No issue with the trailer part having the one installed inside but it sure did a number on the hose.

It is amazing how quickly the rebuild costs can add up. I had the benefit of having just sold an SOB for a lot more money than I thought I'd get for it and what I'd paid for it five years earlier (like Airstreams the fiberglass trailers of the 70's are appreciating in value) and that funded the rebuild of the Airstream quite handily. I went about $300 over what I'd sold the other trailer for so pretty painless.

If I were to do this again I'd be buying a late model SOB wreck to salvage appliances and all the small stuff you need to complete a modernization. It's amazing at how the little stuff adds up so quickly without you realizing it.

The pictures look good. From the look of it you will be out getting your payback pretty quickly.

Barry
Old 03-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thumbs up Axles are in

Axles are in, not a bad job, just a couple hours and they fit like a glove. Only 2 blunders...

1. Didn't put the trailer up on enough blocking to account for the new height of the axles. Ended bottle jacking up the trailer at between the wheels on the axle mounting plate (on the frame) and deflating the tire to cheat some.

2. In the process of putting the second axle in I got my hands into some not quite dry por-15... so I'm gonna look like a guy that doesn't was his hands for a week or so.

New tires didn't get here before the axle swap, but will go on later this week. Measured 21.25 inches from the ground to the bottom edge of the wheel well trim before, and 24.25 afterwards, so a full 3 inch lift even with the inside loaded down with all our camping gear, and tons of tools etc.

Tomorrow I'm either going to tackle the gas lines now that I can fit under the trailer or get back to polishing. got side tracked and went to dinner and never got a final picture of it on all 4 tires, but can post that another day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1549 (Small).JPG
Views:	104
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	55824   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1552 (Small).JPG
Views:	96
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	55825  

Name:	IMG_1553 (Small).JPG