Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Stevensville , Montana
Smile Is it a 1960 or a 1961

We have a Tradewind Land Yacht with model # 24-TS-S-0550 on the side also on a separate tag is 11-18-61 SantaFe Springs, Calif. My question is, is this a 60 or a 61? I saw on Airstreams site a list that didn't include Tradestream in Land yacht for a 1961 24 footer. It's all a lttle confusing to me. Any help?
WadenMichell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
This may be helpful. Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

It's a table showing Airstream makes and models by year. Looks like there were Airstream Trade Winds from '59 onward a couple decades.

You mention 11-18-61 - if that's correct, could that be a 1962 model? Brad mentioned earlier on this thread that July was the cutoff date for new trailers. Maybe there's another number somewhere with more info?

Good luck.
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #23
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Yea! Another one surfaces. It is unusual for the Airstream plant to put the actual day on the ID tag. The date you listed is probably from the State of California Housing tag. Sometimes these tag dates differ for what ever reason. The closest number in my Registry is 24T SS 0547 with a manufacture date of 11/60 on the lower right corner of the ID tag. This was a CA plant made trailer. Given this info, I'd say yours is a '61 model although the CA Housing tag is dated a year later.

Check your ID tag and see if it has 1160 stamped on it. I'd be surprised if it didn't. Good find and post some pictures. There's quite a number of us TradeWind owners here on the Forums with 133 on my Registry and we all love to see pictures.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadenMichell View Post
We have a Tradewind Land Yacht with model # 24-TS-S-0550 on the side also on a separate tag is 11-18-61 SantaFe Springs, Calif. My question is, is this a 60 or a 61? I saw on Airstreams site a list that didn't include Tradestream in Land yacht for a 1961 24 footer. It's all a lttle confusing to me. Any help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceEgg View Post
This may be helpful. Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

It's a table showing Airstream makes and models by year. Looks like there were Airstream Trade Winds from '59 onward a couple decades.

You mention 11-18-61 - if that's correct, could that be a 1962 model? Brad mentioned earlier on this thread that July was the cutoff date for new trailers. Maybe there's another number somewhere with more info?

Good luck.
The Photo Archives list the last 1961 California Tradewind as 24TSS0649 and the first 1926 California Tradewind as 24T(D)SS0554, so there is a typo in their information. I checked some old information from Fred Coldwell the previous VAC Historian, and he had written that the 1962 California Tradewinds began with # 24T(D)SS0650.

This suggests that 24TSS0550 is a 1961 model, but that 11-18-61 date on the other plaque is inconsistent with the typical July to September model change over. Perhaps as stated, that is a MHMA or other housing plague or something else not put on the trailer by Airstream. A photo would help.

As for the "Landyacht" designation, Airstream literature does seem to indicate that this trim level was added for 1962, but it is very common for their literature to trail actual trailer production by several months, so it is entirely possible that actual Landyacht production started during the 1961 model year. Of course, this is just speculation, since I have no data to back it up.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Stevensville , Montana
The pics of the 196?' tradewind

I braved the sub-zero temps in MT this morning to check out serial # on the trailer and took a few pics. As you can see I was wrong in the location of the year it's actually under the ser.#. It does have the other plate which is Dept. of Calif. tag you all suggested too. The month day and year are stamped with a darker blue behind them not sure if maybe the first owner may have done it themselves or what the deal is. We got original warranty and a electronics spec. of the closets. If you look real close in the lower corner of the elec. spec. by item it says 1960 24ft, I know it could be a previous years' copy but thought it was neat anyway. Also above the ser.# plate was a potted metal Masons symbol we removed just thought it was interesting. Sure makes you wonder where all these beauties have been huh? We've gutted it and are waiting for last weeks 50+ weather to return so we can seal it. You know what they say about MT if you don't like the weather wait a while! We purchased her for $600.00 and have been gettin nickled and dimed on her ever since. Someday it'll pay off though!! Sure enjoy seeing all the pics. and reading all the great info. THANKS!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	550.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	121224   Click image for larger version

Name:	574.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	782.4 KB
ID:	121226  

Name:	563.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	755.1 KB
ID:	121231   Click image for larger version

Name:	565.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	121236  

Name:	553.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	121237   Click image for larger version

Name:	564.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	121238  

Name:	568.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	121239   Click image for larger version

Name:	576.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	920.0 KB
ID:	121240  

Name:	578.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	830.1 KB
ID:	121241   Click image for larger version

Name:	577.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	867.3 KB
ID:	121244  

Old 02-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
wow

I'll be of no further help figuring out if it's a 60 or 61. I'm stumped too, and cast my vote for a '60. A few comments...

It's a beauty. What a steal for $600! Just pipe a heater and throw some sleeping bags in there and you're ready to roll!

That electrical diagram you showed blew my mind. I've seen numerous posts on this site asking for that exact thing and have not yet seen one posted. Already saved the image since that's pretty much the exact electrical config for the outlets and lights in my '59. Perhaps if I get frisky one day and decide to rewire everything I'll at least know where to look now. Thank you so much for posting that.

I sealed my trailer for the first time this fall - I'd recommend using a dental syringe for the seams. Just squeeze some polyurethane into the syringe, and maybe cut a little larger opening in the tip. It yields a much better (smaller) bead and is less messy to clean up. Four months into the Oregon rains and still no leaks.
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Stevensville , Montana
The sleeping bags and heater not a bad idea except she leaks like a sievearound windows. Plan to fix that by syringe or tape and force method depending on whichever works best for us thanks to ALL the posts for the ideas. Visited Oregon a few years ago, tried the backberries right off the coastline (YUCK unless ya like salt on yer berries, live and learn) beautiful country though! Just made a copy of the elec. schematic since its in pretty rough repair and apparently a little hard to come by.thnks
Old 02-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadenMichell View Post
I braved the sub-zero temps in MT this morning to check out serial # on the trailer and took a few pics. As you can see I was wrong in the location of the year it's actually under the ser.#. It does have the other plate which is Dept. of Calif. tag you all suggested too. The month day and year are stamped with a darker blue behind them not sure if maybe the first owner may have done it themselves or what the deal is. We got original warranty and a electronics spec. of the closets. If you look real close in the lower corner of the elec. spec. by item it says 1960 24ft, I know it could be a previous years' copy but thought it was neat anyway. Also above the ser.# plate was a potted metal Masons symbol we removed just thought it was interesting. Sure makes you wonder where all these beauties have been huh? We've gutted it and are waiting for last weeks 50+ weather to return so we can seal it. You know what they say about MT if you don't like the weather wait a while! We purchased her for $600.00 and have been gettin nickled and dimed on her ever since. Someday it'll pay off though!! Sure enjoy seeing all the pics. and reading all the great info. THANKS!!
Thanks for the photos, with the date on the Serial Number plaque I have to assume it was put there by Airstream. It is clear that this trailer is not a 1960 by that number as well as the serial number. If it is indeed original to your Airstream (and not added later), the wiring form may have been originally created for 1960, and continued in use in 1961-2 without any changes.

Your Tradewind is either a 1961 or 1962 Tradewind. It is a 1961 Tradewind according to known serial number information, but that November 1961 date would suggest it is a 1962 model. I can't understand this apparent conflict.

There is one more telltale sign you can look for that is not visible in the photos you posted and that is the wheel well opening shape. Most/all 1961s had the same center peak wheel well shape that was used in 1959 and 1960, but most/all 1962s had a flat topped wheel well opening like those used in 1963 and later. Let us know what shape your trailer has.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Pacific NW , Washington
I just purchased a 59'! 24D0213

Located in Seattle and planning a complete remodel.
dgreen78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #30
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
actually you bought a 1960
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #31
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
In all actuality, that is a 1959 model made in California somewhere around March of 1959. The ID tag should have a 3 digit stamp on the lower right corner indicating this date. The zero is the first of the four digits for the sequential number off the assembly line. It is the 203rd TradeWind made in the CA plant. Congrats and post some pictures when you can. This is a new number for my registry so am anxious to see it. How kool!!

Sorry Frank. You were close.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #32
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
you better correct RJ Dial's site then. "O" is "O" for Ohio on that page not "zero" for Oh, ho ho"...
I
Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #33
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Sorry to correct you but the wording is right. The breakdown of the serial number shows the 'D' in the third position of the number designating the bed layout as Double. This is the CA serial number configuration as shown below in the lower section of the graphic, specifically the last line as it is an early TradeWind. Ohio used a different configuration as demonstrated by the upper series of numbers.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IDnumbers.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	126230  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I stand corrected...
Old 04-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Cupertino , California
Looks like I missed the club by a month.
I have a Tradewind with a 24DS S 0574 and 1 61 under the serial number.
CLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Golden Valley , Minnesota
New #?...

Guessing you might not have this # yet, 240194D. I just picked her up from the original owner's son. This a real time capsule, not an expert but it appears completely unmolested.

Thanks to everyone for all the information you provide.

-Sal
SalandViv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #37
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome Sal. Congrats on your early TradeWind and thanks for posting your number. I have added it to the registry and I also want to tell you yours is the first one listed for a mfg. date of 1960. The number before yours is 173 and is listed as a 1959. Somewhere between yours and number 173 was the new model year. Every little bit of info helps us understand. Does yours have the goucho /couch up front?

Now how about some pictures? I'm sure we'd all love to see your new-to-you TradeWind. I know I would. Let us know if you have any questions.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #38
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
There must have been a Minnesota Airstream dealer that was very good at selling his wares in the late 50's / early 60's because I have 11 TradeWind's that are still in Minnesota listed on my registry. And that's just TradeWind's. I wonder who this dealership was. Anyone have any dealership markings on their trailers?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Golden Valley , Minnesota
I'm looking at the original key fob from the dealer- Hart Trailer Sales, Long Prairie and Twin Cities MN... "Airstream - Mallard - Shasta". These guys are your culprits I believe.

The original owners bought it from the Long Prairie location (lived 30 minutes away in Alexandria, MN).

Funny backstory- we have a small summer cabin in Alexandria and I had a '73 TradeWind we used as overflow space, weekend office, bunkhouse, ect... so I went up to the cabin last weekend to sell the '73 so I could start looking for something smaller to use for some "real" road camping and found the '60 parked in the woods about 200 yards away from our cabin. Long story short, I chased down the owner and made him an offer- perfect timing because they were clearing the property and needed to move it along because they wouldn't have any covered storage any more. It had been stored in it's own garage until the last couple years.

I'll gather up some pics and some questions and return but not till we open the cabin for the summer... it's suppose to snow tonight though so who knows when summer will return to the Frozen Tundra.

It came with the original large manila envelope from Airstream, OH addressed to the owners with the appliance and electric brake manuals and warranties. The trailer warranty is actually still on the wardrobe door.

Oh- and yes, it's got a goucho.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
SalandViv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #40
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Brad, I actually have some history on Hart Trailer Sales. This is transcribed from my wife's uncle Mark Doane's Journal.

I use Mark Doane as my Airforums ID, in his memory.

To set the stage, he and Aunt Gracie are sitting on the shore of Lake Mille Lacs, in their 1952 Silver Streak Clipper. Enter Don Hart.

"The Airstream Tradewind"
from the Journal of Mark Doane

In July ’58 at Shore Acres, where Clipper I was parked, came a salesman, Don Hart, of Long Prairie, Minn. to describe the new Airstream for ’59.

It has self containment features such as septic tank, pressurized water system, double sink, separate lavatory, shower, double lighting system, forced air heat, water heater and so on.

After that day we spent our spare time often describing to each other the virtues of the trailer home as compared to an automobile. We could not decide on a trailer or a new auto.

Finally we just quit talking about it.

At Christmas time, day after, we went for a ride to Long Prairie just to see what a 24’ Airstream was really like. We came, we saw, and we liked.

We bought it. Got $1800 for Clipper I on the $5100 new dream.

Al came down and got the Clipper I, after we had feverishly unloaded about 16 ton of stuff. We hated to see our faithful friend leave the family and we hoped she would get a nice home.

We now had to wait until April 4, or 3, 1959 for our new “Clipper”.

But on Gracie’s birthday, Feb 24, ’59 we were in Long Prairie and stopped “just to see” if it was there. It was, and Gracie said “This is ours, I just know it”.

It was, and we spent an hour in it trying to comprehend what it would be like on the road and at the lake. We were really excited, like two 5 year old kids.

Soon as we got home the Exec starts planning on what she will need in the new trailer. I begin to wonder if 24 ft. was going to be big enough.

Later we met the L. Williams family on West River Rd (116 Ave. N), and there was the Clipper I, showing its new occupants the same friendly comfort we have had from spring, 1953 to Dec. 1958. We were in her and nothing had changed.

Now we were really anxious to get our own Clipper, but we decided to follow our plan of April 3 delivery.

Notes:
Shore Acres is a campground on the shore of Lake Mille Lacs, near Onamia Minnesota.
Clipper I is the name of Mark and Gracie’s 1952 Silver Streak Clipper.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
early tradewind, tradewind