Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2020, 11:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Bend , OR
1969 Airstream Tradewind

Well we finally did it, my wife has always dreamed of having an Airstream and after having our second kid we outgrew or 1985 13' Scamp Trailer aka the rolling tent.
Purchased it with a good log of history to it but not the total maintainence. Front has some dings but the PO owned and semi-lived in it for 5yrs in Cali, before that it split its life bw two owners in Texas. Now it calls Central Oregon home. Its definently walks a line of 80s upgrade/fixes with most everytjing being original.
We had planned on just "remodeling" the interior; but after diving head first down the rabbit hole I've yet to see the bottem. We've put a few hrs here and there for the last 4weeks and this is the result so far. We have slowly started to gut the interior and with each layer I see more and more than needs done. Front Gaucho removal revealed a very subpar floor patch with a half full (for 7months) freshwater tank put on top and the leak never fixed (front R window? Or a poorly sealed belly pan). Pulling the subfloor found the old multi room home of a Rat or squirrel that takes up the front door side and previous water pooling. Thankfully the frame isnt rusted too bad and will just need a good brush/wheel followed up with some sealant. At this point most would go belly off but my skills and lack of an inclosed place is holding me back.
Since the bathroom seems to be another common floor replacement spot; coupled with the PO said the water system wasnt tested back in Feb/march 19 bc there was a leak behind he shower. Leak so far stems from 2 broke drain pipes from when I have found so far.
I'm planning on pulling all of the patch work copper/rubber piping and modernizing with PEX.
-list to do so far: floors, plumbing, windows, reseal most key leak spots, update lighting interior and exterior, tuck trailer brake wiring, reseal and rivet portions of the belly pan, rebuild front and Kitchen, build bunks in place of closet.
-things at the bottem of the rabbit hole?: new furnace, stove, water heater, fully remodel of bathroom, remove antenna and replace with AC?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200217-212959_Facebook.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	361285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200217-213009_Facebook.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	361286  

Name:	20190531_145252.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	361287  
RalliartOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:16 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Bend , OR
Progress

Had ankle surgery which slows the process of reno demo but Some pictures of Demo:
Its clear that there has been some custom additions and fixes by POs; took 4! Different bits to deconstruct the kitchen amd the stove sat ontop of a cinder block. Pretty sure that easnt factory. There are more screws than rivets holding stuff together.
Front sub floor and panels removed and eviction notice pass due for the nest. Looking through the wing rails (sorry for terminology) looks like the problem ended where I largely have the floor removed.
As far as I can tell the leak came from the Front R window where it looks like some one jackknifed it into a tree leaving a dent that has broke the seal on it. Is there a way to removed dents without replacing shell pieces and best way to fix the window structure? I'll try to get a picture of it TMRO along with bathroom Demo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200212_162106.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	361288   Click image for larger version

Name:	14369.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	717.6 KB
ID:	361289  

Name:	14376.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	361290  
Old 02-17-2020, 11:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
If you have pieces of the belly pan to reattach, I would suggest you drill out enough rivets to take a peek inside. You really want to make sure your frame is in good shape. The outriggers (cross member pieces outside the frame rails) tend to suffer the most if there are problems. The cross members themselves (between the frame rails) are also at risk especially around any tanks/plumbing.

Any insulation under the floor is bound to be in rough shape. Depending on your planned seasonal use you might want to take the time to replace or just remove. It can be a problem for retaining moisture and causing problems.

Look forward to watch your progress.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Oh the memories ... Check out my build thread for some ideas of what you're embarking on . Although the thread is not complete at this time it will give you some insight .

We just sold our last Casita after not using it for over a year , The Trade Wind is just too comfortable .

We will be in Bend in June and would like to get together .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3 Casitas3:4 i.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	361291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1039.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	495.7 KB
ID:	361292  

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	361293  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Congratulations on your 69 Tradewind and welcome to Airforums.

It looks like it is in decent shape. The frame exposed in front looks good. I would just go ahead and wire brush the exposed frame, prime and paint it, install new flooring (in 3 sections) and install a new water tank.

Lots of good renovation threads to study up on.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Bend , OR
Thanks Dan! Ready for the adventure!
Since it seems these do not have a fresh water tank drain besides pumping it dry is there a recommendation for adding a drain? If the current tank salvageable if water was left in it for 7m? The pickup pump is brand new, with the bump itself looking like the original that has been pretty well maintained. The tank had a good amount of algae build up in it, will rinsing/pressure washing, bleach and a tank clean do the job?
Its unlikely we will use the full water system to its full potential. To the point if there is issues in the rear I may remove both tanks and just have a "black water" tank for the whole system.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Bend , OR
Finally got back intk the trailer after returning to work. It also coincided with some moister...good news nothing from windows up is leaking! Bad news the seem bw the wall and bananna(?) Has leaks in bout 5 different places up front. With it the belly pan needs to be replaced. Bathroom deconstruction continues and renovation continues. Hoping to make some progress with the corona virus furlough.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200314_113511.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	363269   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200314_113519.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	363270  

Old 03-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Bend , OR
Hope everyone is doing well during this time. Its been chaotic at our home with my wife working in the med field and me trying to telework and be daddy daycare. Found some time to do some work, and the rats strike again. Two of the 3 wires are chewed up, brake wiring? Would explain why i kept getting an error check wiring and blew 2 fuses on my truck for lights.
Should get the last floor piece in this weekend and will continue bathroom demo, removing the furnace and reseal the banana/wall trim piece if it stops raining.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:14 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Bend , OR
More more

Well with all the time at home and talking through things we decided to go full gut shell on renovation. Interior is out, found some of the common issues, floor was so rotten in the rear you could see into the septic hose box and outside! Every drain and vent pipe was cracked in half and when removing the copper piping i found numerous splits and leaks at connections. So glad we decided to move forward with a full gut job and not just get it ready for camping for now.
We decided to put our Trump money into the trailer, which means new fridge, the old one was supposedly operation but that thing had to way 130lbs! New stove simce the OG had screwed random screws into the side to hold it into place and it was sitting on a cinder block. We are going to switch to a composting toilet and removing the furnace for now(pretty sure its an original death box.

Question: the original piping has a vent above the sink and one back where the shower use to be. With going to only a sink do I still need to vents or can I remove one?
Old 04-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartOR View Post
Well we finally did it, my wife has always dreamed of having an Airstream and after having our second kid we outgrew or 1985 13' Scamp Trailer aka the rolling tent.
Purchased it with a good log of history to it but not the total maintainence. Front has some dings but the PO owned and semi-lived in it for 5yrs in Cali, before that it split its life bw two owners in Texas. Now it calls Central Oregon home. Its definently walks a line of 80s upgrade/fixes with most everytjing being original.
We had planned on just "remodeling" the interior; but after diving head first down the rabbit hole I've yet to see the bottem. We've put a few hrs here and there for the last 4weeks and this is the result so far. We have slowly started to gut the interior and with each layer I see more and more than needs done. Front Gaucho removal revealed a very subpar floor patch with a half full (for 7months) freshwater tank put on top and the leak never fixed (front R window? Or a poorly sealed belly pan). Pulling the subfloor found the old multi room home of a Rat or squirrel that takes up the front door side and previous water pooling. Thankfully the frame isnt rusted too bad and will just need a good brush/wheel followed up with some sealant. At this point most would go belly off but my skills and lack of an inclosed place is holding me back.
Since the bathroom seems to be another common floor replacement spot; coupled with the PO said the water system wasnt tested back in Feb/march 19 bc there was a leak behind he shower. Leak so far stems from 2 broke drain pipes from when I have found so far.
I'm planning on pulling all of the patch work copper/rubber piping and modernizing with PEX.
-list to do so far: floors, plumbing, windows, reseal most key leak spots, update lighting interior and exterior, tuck trailer brake wiring, reseal and rivet portions of the belly pan, rebuild front and Kitchen, build bunks in place of closet.
-things at the bottem of the rabbit hole?: new furnace, stove, water heater, fully remodel of bathroom, remove antenna and replace with AC?
In my opinion, your priorities are;
1-fix leaks
2.replace furnace- the old one may kill you and your family
3. replace water heater- they get real hot...can set your camper on fire
4. after these items that can kill you are addressed, then fill in the blanks as you see fit......Airstreaming is great fun!
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Bend , OR
We are ditching the furnace and might not put a new one in since we mostly fair weather camp. Going to go with a different layout that might move the new fridge to where the furnace is since there is a vent, propane line and power.

The original heater is long gone the PO put a tankless heater in it that appears in good shape, I'll know more when I pull it this week.

We are finally getting some nicer weather so I can start resealing things and see if I can get the leaks knocked out.
I also need to pull the belly pan and replace good portions of it.

The adventure continues! If I dont need two vents I'll close one of then up. The cap for the rear vent needs completely redone anyways, chrome upgrade
Old 04-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Are you going to add a/c ? If so I highly recommend the Coleman Mach 8 It blows front & rear with the return air on the center bottom . It has a low profile 8" and is quieter then the Dometic.

We made the mistake of the Dometic as it's return air hindered the air flow to the front to next to nothing . It blows out the sides, back and bottom great but it is so noisy .

As for vents I replaced the originals with MaxxAir remote controlled 9 speed vents with the built in rain lids . Found the best price at Amazon .

WBCCI #6269

Old 04-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Kingsville , Ontario
I covered our vent

ERdoing entire interior as per Bosses instructions, so cut some nice shaped patches. Might use the old fridge vent for woodstove at door, if it is positioned correctly, should find out in a bit. So do what you want, patch, replace, vents are good to have though for composting toilets, fridges (3-way) etc... God Luck !!
KZGoodchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Well its been 3 years since the last progress update.

Curious minds what to know what’s been happening.

WBCCI #6269