Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1950-1955 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #121
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Well darn I arrive in New Mexico on the 28th of February - so no open house for me - thanks for the invite.
During a blizzard I moved into my airstream - well it's been tough. The coldest temps in three years here in Michigan - looking forward to New Mexico that's for sure.
t.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #122
4 Rivet Member

Cold, yes. I found my trailer is good to ten below (so far), but at about zero I really like an extra 1500watt space heater that can run all night. Keeps my feet from freezing to the floor in the morning. If I really stock the stove before sleep and then turn it down I can still get coals, but it seems almost as easy to let it go out and start again since I need to take out the ash... It also makes more smoke (more polution) running a cool fire like that. Make sure you get a CO monitor, there is a good one that shows levels down to 10 ppm (no alarm until 30ppm for an extended time) but it's nice to see if any is in the room. Hope you are keeping warm.

Carlos
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Hi Carlos,
Hope you're finding yourself warm and starting up some good work in New York.
It's just crazy cold here - it's all pretty but too cold for me. Mostly spend my days in the airstream but my nights, for now, are in the little apartment I have for the next few weeks. I don't believe the little cod could keep up only because of things like no gasket on the door - when I return to Michigan in the Spring I'll find warmer temps and ready for the next work load of installing the solar, gaskets etc...love it! I do have a CO monitor but not the one you mention - also I think your advice of insulation under the seats, bed and counters made a difference. Attached is a shot of moving my trailer down the road to it's new home for the next few months - total blizzard.
Good to hear from you.
Theresa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file-5.bin.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	31880   Click image for larger version

Name:	file-10.bin.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	31881  

Old 02-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #124
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Sometime ago I purchased a 1980 g-wagon from eBay to tow my flying cloud – finally placed the two together. Oh what a sight!
Never buy a car without looking it over first is what I whisper to myself now. It’s a good-looking vehicle even though it’s been in the shop, well quite often, more than I’ll admit - but a great ride. When ones mechanic loves working on your car with such enthusiasm it often feels painless when writing a check…or checks - I’ve become pals with David www.europeanauto.biz – check out his sight he’s a greaser which is just one of my dreams.
Full timing hasn’t been easy in such cold temps – missing gasket on the door is currently not helping - the door becomes iced so I pound my way out or chip away before entering – a space heater would help – learned to get dressed in less than 5 seconds in the morning – for sure next winter I’m heading south looking for warmth and blue sky.
The other evening after dinner with a friend I arrived home late and on top of the hill, my little place with it’s outdoor light on and puffs of smoke from the chimney – one of the prettiest sights to me.
Theresa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as_gwagon.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	32344  

Tags
1953, flying cloud