Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hey Kaine- welcome to the site, do you have your own thread going? Post some pics!! And thanks to REDNAX for the specifics on getting to Padre- is fuel and such really cheaper down there? This post is also a LAST minute request to any and all in the greater Denver area to join us in Glacier Basin campground, in Rocky Mt. Nat. Park, sunday and monday nites- that's July 6 and 7. We'll also be in Moraine Park campground (also in Rocky Mt. Park) the nites of July 22 and 23. You can look for sites at Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov., or call 1-877-444-6777. We'd also like to camp at a lake for swimming sometime this summer, in this general part of Colorado- maybe Lake Granby, to the west, or just Boyd Lake down by Loveland-? or Pueblo Lake state park- anyone been there? Looks like Bozeman was a lot of fun- woohoo for you guys!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #162
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
well we had a nice time in Rocky Mt. Park, both campgrounds. Only saw one other AS, some nice folks from Texas. Had to take apart the shower valves, there was some junk in there from the installation that was preventing the rubber washer from completely sealing, resulting in dribbling. Easy enough to do, I think that was the only repair. But- did notice a rain leak from the curbside vista-view, or at least that's where it appeared inside. Went up with a ladder back at home, and did not see any obvious leak spots except a side-seam of the skin, on top, with a couple fairly wide spots, so shot some sealant in there, and waited for the next rain. Still a leak, so went up again, and sealed a few rivets holding the awning on, and re-sealed the window itself, which was pretty thoroughly caulked already, I thought. I also pulled the awning down about 6", and propped it in that position, to see if I could narrow down where the leak was coming from. This put the awning mostly over the vista view, and sure enough, no leak a couple nights ago from a big rain. So now the awning is back up, mostly above the vista view, so we'll see what happens next time. I see now how exasperating these things can be! Otherwise, all systems work great, the shower was a luxury after a hike and bike ride, and ice cream in the freezer was nice too. I see InlandRV is having somewhat of a sale on their front-window rock guards, might have to look into that if I ever want to actually pull this thing down the highway very far. No interesting pics to post- so, adios. -tim
Old 09-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #163
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Leak fixed, knock on aluminum. I think it was seeping in from the small vista-view next to the door, maybe pooling there from the rolled-up awning. I added a small bead of clear sealant to the gray plastic "gasket" that fills the gap between glass and metal frame, works for now. Need to weatherstrip the entry door while weather is nice, not really looking forward to that awkward job. Would also like a little trip in the rig before winter hits, a hot spring sounds nice...
Old 09-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #164
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Leak fixed, knock on aluminum. I think it was seeping in from the small vista-view next to the door, maybe pooling there from the rolled-up awning. I added a small bead of clear sealant to the gray plastic "gasket" that fills the gap between glass and metal frame, works for now. Need to weatherstrip the entry door while weather is nice, not really looking forward to that awkward job. Would also like a little trip in the rig before winter hits, a hot spring sounds nice...
Takes 30 to 45 minutes to replace the entrance door gasket, when you use a wire wheel in an electric drill, to burnish off the last of the original gasket.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
OK- just got back from our 1st real trip in the coach- a 900-or so-mile tour of north-central Wyoming, and I have to report on how things went: Great!! No problems with the AS at all, all systems worked super (especially loved the hot showers after a play day), and the Suburban performed flawlessly, if a little weakly on the really steep passes. But 1st or 2nd gear had plenty of power, and overall mpg was about 13 I guess, with severe headwinds for a 1/2 day and the steep, 20-mile uphill on another. Watched the Palin-Biden "debate" in a $100k 5th wheel, which had fluted columns and crown molding throughout, not to mention the full-size side-by-side fridge and the King bed! Weighed 20k lbs.! It was nice to get back into the silver cocoon after that experience. I'll post a few pics, see if you know where they are...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120-2079_IMG.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	68888   Click image for larger version

Name:	120-2072_IMG.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	68889  

Name:	120-2066_IMG.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	68890   Click image for larger version

Name:	120-2052_IMG.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	68891  

Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I see Thermopolis, and then a scene from Close Encounters, the Devil's Tower.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #167
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Right you are- and I recommend both places. Devils Tower camping is $12 a night, or $6 with the right Federal access card (seniors, volunteers, etc) and is a very nice campground. We stayed 5 nights there. The pool pic is of Fountain of Youth RV campground near Thermopolis, with it's own huge soaking pools just seconds from your coach door- for $30 a night. The 1st pic is a free 10-day-limit camping spot next to a rest area on I-80 about 30 miles west of Laramie, and the 3rd pic is of Leigh Creek Campground (Nat. Forest) in Tensleep canyon, our favorite of the trip- right on the river, quiet, shady, and free. Wyoming has some very beautiful and interesting spots, though they seem to be scattered at quite some distance from one another unless you're up in the northwest corner. The only other silver coaches we saw on the trip were in driveways, yards, or storage areas.Here's an old Avion we saw.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	120-2069_IMG.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	68912  
Old 12-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #168
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Got the skinny on Olympic rivets from Aerowood, so ordered some from OutofdoorsMart, at 31 cents a piece- they're only about 21 cents from VTS or Inland, but you have to buy 100. Also grabbed a new window latch, some more hatch gasket, and some polish/wax. They have quite a selection of stuff, and I liked their pricing. I heard gas might get to $1 before the economy gets over it's panic attack- quite an opportunity for those with the means, and time, to get back on the road a little!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #169
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Okay, then, 1,243-miles at 13 mpg at $1.49/gl = $142 fuel. And downhill all the way to the Rio Grande Valley. And if I didn't mention it earlier use US-281 once south of San Antonio even if it is a little farther -- a much better road than 77, quieter and more scenic. Cut off at the exit nearest the town of George West from I-37.

The Anodized Giant is finally out of storage as summer/fall just too hot to work outside for long. Went by Bob Thompsons' house to see his painted Airstream (nice thread on that) and the seam sealing work as mine needs a football field length of sealer. Still trying to figure out how to get 1,300 square feet of anodized aluminum clean . . . and reading these long threads by you A/S owners as you tackle stuff I hope never to have to do in order to get sparked.

Keep the pictures coming, love all those places!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #170
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Okay, then, 1,243-miles at 13 mpg at $1.49/gl = $142 fuel. And downhill all the way to the Rio Grande Valley. And if I didn't mention it earlier use US-281 once south of San Antonio even if it is a little farther -- a much better road than 77, quieter and more scenic. Cut off at the exit nearest the town of George West from I-37.

The Anodized Giant is finally out of storage as summer/fall just too hot to work outside for long. Went by Bob Thompsons' house to see his painted Airstream (nice thread on that) and the seam sealing work as mine needs a football field length of sealer. Still trying to figure out how to get 1,300 square feet of anodized aluminum clean . . . and reading these long threads by you A/S owners as you tackle stuff I hope never to have to do in order to get sparked.

Keep the pictures coming, love all those places!
By my rough calculations, you have a 65 foot trailer???????????

A 30 foot Airstream has a little less than 600 square feet.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #171
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
"1300 square feet of anodized aluminum", not floor. Anyway- thanks, Rednax, for the driving tips down to your neck of the woods. I am thinking of doing just that in Feb. or March, and am hoping that gas will stay bottomed-out at $1.50 till then. Would love to do a big loop taking in the hill country, Padre Island, Big Bend, maybe even get to Monterrey, Mexico. Good luck on the seam sealing, and if you clean/buff the "Giant" feel free to post a pic of it here! -tim
Old 12-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #172
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
By my rough calculations, you have a 65 foot trailer???????????

A 30 foot Airstream has a little less than 600 square feet.

Andy
Exterior: (35' x 9') x 4 (sides, top & bottom), plus ends at (8' x 9'); less some for curves & windows. Conservatively overstated.

Tphan:

If you're considering some routes, I'd be glad to give you my take on them.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #173
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Thanks, Rednax, for all the tips on driving routes, sights, campgrounds, etc. Hoping to see your part of the country maybe in Feb./March, and have some Tex-Mex with you!
Decided to get a different WD hitch set-up, after learning more about them here, AFTER I impulsively bought one, of course. I just sold my 10,000#/1,000# trunnion-bar hitch and just bought a 6,000#/600# round-bar Reese-Cequent. This much more closely matches the weight of the trailer and tongue, and will hopefully provide for a little softer ride for the old girl.
Also sent back the Gorilla Lock, and went with the DT Max. Security coupler lock. Again- research first, then buy, not the reverse- duhh! The Gorilla would work fine on a flat-flange coupler, but not all locks seem to work on these old rolled-flange couplers. The DT is supposedly universal- all ball sizes, all flanges. Live and learn....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	120-2098_IMG.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	73593   Click image for larger version

Name:	120-2100_IMG.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	73594  

Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #174
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Gillette , Wyoming
Wyoming

tphan,

I have been to each of those places, fountain of youth is great. I drive from Gillette to Cody, right past leigh creek all the time. But the best campground I have been to is called the Medicine Lodge State Archealogical site near Hyatteville. It is about 30 minutes north of Tensleep, and if you ever get another chance up here, it is the best. I will hopefully pulling my new to me 74 tradewind there in June. I will post some pics. Will you be going to the Rocky Mountain Rally in Laramie? I was born in Laramie, and my mom gave a speach at the 1969 rally. If you are interested, I have 30 years camping in Wyoming and know some of the best spots from everywhere except the SW corner. Top 3 that I have been to would include medicine lodge, it is great!

"Listen, do you smell something?" - Dr. Ray Stantz
mickeymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #175
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Wyoming

Hey Cassidy- I knew we should have gone to Medicine Lodge! Looked at it on the map several times, looked at it on the website, but for reasons of time/distance, didn't take the turn-off from hiway 16. Will do it next time! We can't attend the Laramie rally because we are not members of the club, otherwise we'd be there for sure. Which chapter are you a member of? Cost? I would definitely like any and all suggestions about Wyoming camping spots, including the area between Sheridan and Powell. Feel free to PM me with this, if you like, and ask away about Colorado if you plan on coming down. Will post a pic of a memento from our Wyo. trip, have another larger one in the AS! Saw them at the State pool in Thermop, bought them online after we got home. Later- tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	121-2128_IMG.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	78497  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #176
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
double axle

Well I went and did it, ordered 2 new Dexters today. First, I weighed my trailer at a local truck scale: came in at 4,380 lbs total, not loaded for travel (food, etc.), no water in tanks. Figure the tongue weight to be around 400 lbs., so really only 3,980 lbs. on the axles. The original axles were rated to 2,800 lbs., and the original stock trailer weight was 5,550 lbs. I'm going to use 3,000 lb. #10 Dexters, which will give me 400# more total capacity than the old ones. These have 10" electric brakes, same as what Airstream is using on new, similar weight, coaches. Going to re-install the shock absorbers, and try the EZ-lube hubs, which uses a zirque fitting and a grease gun to keep the bearings greased. I have to give thanks here to Luke, of Luke's Maintenance & Repair Company in Ft. Collins, Colorado, for walking me through the final stages of the order specs, and actually placing the order for me. How he had time for this, while mostly being under other Airstreams getting new axles, I don't know- but Thanks!! Very helpful and straight-up guy, and got an excellent price through him. So- the journey continues on the modernization/rehab of the 37 year-old landyacht... foto from Lathrop State Park, Colorado, Spanish Peaks in distance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	121-2162_IMG.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	80164  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #177
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Good luck with your new axles. On my 1967 the axle install was very straight forward. I enjoyed the chance to see the inside of your trailer. I am jelous of your wood working skills. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #178
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hey John- enjoyed meeting you and Helen,too, at the Resto Rally in Albuquerque. That weekend was a good test of window gaskets, how did yours hold up? Any trips to Colorado planned for the summer? -tim
Old 05-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
So you pulled the trigger per say. Luke's a good guy, keep us posted on the outcome.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #180
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Will do, Kip- and sure enjoyed your obvious expertise at the rally. Good luck with your renovation- she's going to be something! -tim