Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2006, 09:37 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
plugging away

hi- and thanks, Dawn. We may go with a bit more sedate formica, and then get color from curtains, rugs, and upholstery. I do like the burgundy, just think now that 2 countertops may be too much? Anyway, finally solved the bedding foam issue, I went with a queen-sized bottom layer of 2", 38# foam, with a top layer of 2" memory foam on my wife's side, and 2" of 28# foam on my side. This gives us a 4" thick mattress with a firmer side for me, plusher side for my wife. It's super comfortable!! Also got most of the alum. backsplash up yesterday, will probably fashion some kind of birch stand-off on either side of the fridge vent, and cover the face with more alum. I want to leave the countertop as deep as possible, not divided like it used to be with the tambour thing. Today I will edge the sub-countertops with maple, put a few more ledgers in underneath, and be ready to glue down the formica when it comes in. Still wondering what type doors to make for the kitchen cabs, what type hardware, latches, etc. Want to keep them light and simple-? So- gotta go and get after it- Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	114-1488_IMG.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	21802  
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
chickened out!

hi all- well after thinking about using a bold-colored formica top, I totally chickened out and went with a mottled beigey thing called "antique roca", made by wilsonart. It's VERY "safe"- not like me at all. I don't know what happened... Now I HAVE to use some bold color in curtains, upholstery, rugs, etc. to liven things up a bit. Also enclosed the fridge vent with maple sides, alum. front, copper brackets. Next: finish up the shower curtain, decide on what kind of cabinet door hardware, and what kind of doors. Will have a few drawers up top- BUT- I'd sure like to find some hardware that latches these things really securely for traveling- I'll search around but if anyone knows of nifty, chrome, latch-able pulls, like on some older coaches- please let me know? Will also build a little angled cabinet for the oil-radiator heater that came with coach and is in great condition, puts out a lot of heat. Electric. So- ideas on cabinet hardware-anybody?? thanks- tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	114-1492_IMG.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	21963   Click image for larger version

Name:	114-1494_IMG.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	21964  

Name:	114-1495_IMG.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	21965   Click image for larger version

Name:	114-1496_IMG.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	21966  

Old 06-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #83
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I like it, Tim. You're getting a nice deco-modern effect mixing earthy natural colors and metal, and you've avoided that "gotta curve" mindset that Airstream had in the seventies. And, goodness, you actually have space to PREPARE things in the galley. It looks like luxurious, humongous space to me.

I am concerned, though, that if you want to use the trailer for more than a weekender, you may want to change to a full-size fridge. Have your plans considered that?

As for your effort, I have nothing but praise. This is turning out gorgeous, and I like your do it once, do it right mentality combined with the craftsmenship required to achieve it.

Well, I looked at all the pictures again, and I had to go back and edit. I think you're creating the "organic Airstream." I look at the cabinets in mine, and the pattern repeats over and over again. It's sort of like they wanted the impression of any small area to be related to the larger space, but the user shouldn't think about it. He should think, "Sumptuous," 70's style.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
heater cabinet with TV ledge

Hi- and Thankyou, Lamar! Your fridge comment is something I've thought about, as I would love to one day spend a fair amount of time in this thing, during Colorado winters, somewhere south and warmer. But I just couldn't bear to fork out another grand for a new, bigger fridge, when this one is in very good shape. I also definitely wanted the counter space, which a tall fridge would diminish. So, the compromise (my life is full of them) is to also take along a big cooler , mainly for drinks and veggies, which can take up a LOT of space. It's hard to cram everything you're used to in a house into 150 sq. ft., so prioritizing gets pretty important here, based on lifestyle. I may regret it- it wouldn't be the first time. Today I built the little cabinet that holds the radiator-heater, which came with the coach and works great. I suppose a smallish flat-screen tv could sit on top, or a beer. I think I'll re-install the hinged countertop thing that was mounted next to the cooktop, maybe with an alum. top to set warm pots on, or cold beers, still thinking on that one. Still gotta find some good, latchable cabinet door and drawer hardware- didn't see much on the internet. Well- time for dinner- tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	114-1498_IMG.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	22049  
Old 06-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
bath and shower curtain

hi- finally figured out a way to hang a shower curtain around my moveable shower pan. I just put up 7 s-hooks, plumb up from the pan, to hang the curtain from when showering. Afterwards, take the curtain outside for a bit to dry, slide the shower pan back under the bed, and it's gone. I hope this works OK, and we're sure going to enjoy the queen bed that it makes room for. I know- kind of unorthodox and strange, but works for us. There is also a separate curtain just to hide the whole area from view- will post pics of both. Other than that, not much going on- still looking for nice cabinet hardware that latches positively, and have to make the doors and drawers. Saw nothing I liked at Lowes or HD, just the magnets and roller-catches. I don't know, maybe those catches would be ok-? Hasta luego- tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	114-1499_IMG.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	22175   Click image for larger version

Name:	114-1500_IMG.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	22176  

Old 06-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
a curtain!

hi all- still plugging away at it, we bought some fabrics for curtains and gaucho at Jo-anns 1/2 price sale a couple weeks ago, and my wife has the rear curtains made, of which I have 1 up. Am using stout copper wire for the curtain rods. All 3 rear curtains are the reddish-orange fabric, with embriodered foo-foos, and up front will be of a more gold color, with burgundy-red gaucho upholstery. So I finally get my red fix! Today my plumber friend comes to connect my sink to the pex and test my gas line- IF he shows up... well, better get out there- tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1513_IMG.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	22894  
Old 06-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
gaucho marx

hi- have rebuilt the front gaucho just the way it was, I like the pull-out bed idea. Made new doors and frame below, will recover this original upholstery but re-use all foam as it is in great shape, and comfortable. Also got in a couple doors for under-bed storage in back. still waiting for my plumber-friend to show up.......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1514_IMG.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	22903   Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1515_IMG.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	22904  

Old 07-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
the boudoir...

ok- the bedroom/bath/wardrobe area is about 100%, finally. Well, Jane will make a comforter cover and THEN it's done. Will start on cabinet doors soon, finish up gaucho, figure out a music system placement, a few dozen other odds and ends and she's done! No plans to polish at this point, unless I get REALLY bored. It just looks like so much mess and work and I would rather do almost anything else. But never say never, I guess.-tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1521_IMG.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	23236  
Old 07-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
deadbolt is in

hi- am glad the scary job of cutting in a deadbolt is done AND that I did not screw it up- I followed from memory the process details outlined by another forum member, and then measured everything 50 times before actually getting the whirring hole-saw near my baby... I also reinforced around the guts of the thing, inside the wall, with a bored-out wood block so I could really tighten up the screws. A little sealant around the outside, and I feel much better about keeping unwanted visitors out of the coach, at least through the door. And, about keeping the door shut during transit- I've heard of them somehow opening up when only closed by the latch. There is easy access for working on these things, at least where I placed mine, by just taking off the trim ring from the lower window. Nothing in the way in there, just fiberglass. Adios for now- tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1523_IMG.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	23462  
Old 07-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #90
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Tehachapi , California
Hi Tim,
Nice job, looks good-Now all you have to do is pray they don't use the time proven "universal key" method and just bust out the window with whatever and reach in and unluck the thumblatch- On second thought hope they do- The fragile aluminum door handle paddle was broken off of mine and the A/S handle cost me over $500- I think the window glass would have been cheaper and easier to find in the long run- But after seeing how unwilling A/S is to sell to me direct, I can't be 100% sure of that-Take Care -dan
borisnovas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:11 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
keyless entry...

Hi Dan- of course you're absolutely right, door locks only keep honest people out, or at least very ineffectual thieves. I just tend to think that making it harder at least weeds out the lazy, or uncommitted ones. The shotgun that I will have rigged to the window glass will weed out the others! Sorry about your latch paddle- Was there a deadbolt on your coach when someone decided to try to get in? It seems to me it would be a deterrent. Did this happen on your property, or in a campground? Well, I got my cabinet doors made finally, but not the drawer fronts yet. Yet another trip to HD, maybe the last??!! I'll post my remodeling expenses when I'm done, might help others to decide how far to go. Hasta luego- tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1524_IMG.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	23601   Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1525_IMG.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	23602  

Old 07-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Estes Park Rally

hi- just a final reminder that this weekend there is apparently a get-together for the Denver unit WBCCI here, at Elk Meadows Campground. I'm not seeing too much about it here so maybe nobody is even going-? I'll wander over tomorrow, sans coach, to hopefully meet people and see some coaches. I'm not a member of WBCCI, just another curious, friendly enthusiast. Not much news on my end, finally got some material for the drawer fronts, and the sliding curtain clips came in from OasisRV, so can finish those too. My wife is saving the re-upholstery of the front gaucho for last- it's a bit intimidating, at least to me.Pic of front curtain, and last night's great storm and rainbow. Have fun with your projects, and travels- tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1532_IMG.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	23793   Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1530_IMG.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	23794  

Old 07-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Thanks for letting me crash your party!

hi all- just wanted to thank the great people from the Denver chapter of WBBCI who had a rally in Estes Park this last weekend for letting my wife and I join them for a while (happy hour!)- what a nice bunch of coach owners. Thanks to Patrice for the invite, Zippo Ray, Ray and Nina Velasquez, Margie, and the others whose names I'm a little fuzzy on... Hope you all enjoyed your weekend and will come back! -tim
Old 07-25-2006, 03:37 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
OK- drawer fronts done

hi all- finally attached the drawer fronts, and pulls. Used a pop-out front below the sink, with plastic sponge or whatever trays. So- A few more curtains to go, finish the gaucho and find a placement for stereo speakers (maybe in the gaucho ends?) and then go spend a fortune on a gas-guzzling truck so we can actually use this thing! I'd love a '72 tow vehicle, IF it were refurbished to like new. Anyone out there got one?....-tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1540_IMG.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	23902   Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1541_IMG.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	23903  

Name:	115-1542_IMG.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	23904  
Old 07-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #95
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
San Juan Capistrano , California
Tim, you're doing a great job!!!
Congrats.
Ron
surferstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #96
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
looks fabulous!

say, could you post a detail pic or two of the overhead cabinet doors, and how the slots work?

I just re-read your whole thread again...all this work, and no mention of installing a grey tank?

one other thing: what did you use for a finish for the birch ply? looks great...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
thanks!

thankyou, Ron and Chuck! As you both know, it is a labor of love, and always nice to hear someone else likes your choices! anyway, I will post a pic of the sliding doors (formica) and the slotted piece of wood that fills up the former channel. I just made 2 saw kerfs in it, the kerfs being 1/4" deeper or so in the TOP one so that the formica can slide up into it, then down into the bottom shallower slot and still be captured by the top one. No grey water tank but I did build in a diverter valve in the waste plumbing to allow for dumping greywater from the kitchen sink into the black tank- either for wal-mart type camping, or just to be able to now and then flush the black tank with soapy water. Pic of that too. I used regular old polyurethane finish, voc based, satin-gloss. 2 coats generally, fine sanding inbetween. I'm helping a friend fix-up his '73 (I think) Avion, it's remarkable how different the details of construction are- the axles, and floor/frame, are completely different- as well as windows, door, rivet spacing, exterior skin- pretty much everything. It appears our AS's are easier to work on- for which I'm thankful!-tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1546_IMG.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	23922   Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1548_IMG.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	23923  

Old 07-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow!

Great work Tim! Looks absolutley FAB! How'd you make the black tank?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
black tank

hi all- marc, I re-used the existing black tank after scrubbing the nasties out of it and wire-brushing the sensors so they register more accurately (hopefully). It appeared to be in fine shape, but I did have a new galvanized holding pan built, and new L-bar to hold all of it to the frame. I also put in all new gaskets in the dump valve, and lubed the moving parts. Re-used the original toilet, too cheap to buy a new one I guess. So it's a mish-mash of old and new, and I'm at approx. $9k total cost, definitely NOT including my labor which would bring it up to Exxon-Mobils latest quarterly profit figure. At least. Vaya con plata- tim
Old 07-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hi-ho silver

hi all- I helped a friend remove his A/C unit from his '71 Avion, and we patched the roof hole. He noticed that it would soon get way too hot to touch, from inside, while left bare alum. But after painting it white, like the rest of his particular roof, it was 50 degrees cooler. I don't understand why this is so, but do understand why AS now paints their roofs white and doing so on older units, especially without A/C, might be worth considering. Why does white stay cooler than bare aluminum? I would think shiny aluminum would reflect as much as anything else, but am obviously wrong. I guess this may be why all the sob's are white too. Probably won't do it though, as I like the look of the all-silver bullet too much. You too??