Old 11-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Insulation for walls

In my estimation what is lost through the skins kind of makes attempts at uber efficient insulation run up against the law of diminishing returns.

I used regular old fiberglass insulation, but I put wood over the aluminum on my 72, it is notably better at slowing heat transfer than my stock 75.

The forty year old fiberglass insulation I removed was perfectly fine. I was going to have the trailer spray foamed, but no contractor would return my call. In the end I am glad none of them did because the foam I think would have ended up being a PITA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1415757482.858821.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	893.2 KB
ID:	226301

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Kinglake , Victoria
I think I just found the ideal insulation material. Thermacork:
Thermacork
But I guess the price is just too steep.
So are you suggesting I might as well not put any insulation? OR just some plastic foil? I'm taking the fibreglass wool out at the moment and counting the mouse nests! Their urine is eroding the c-frame!
Why is fibreglass wool considered toxic to breathe in when mice apparently made a great living in it?

Old 11-12-2014, 01:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Mice don't live long enough for it to be an issue. People do.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Insulation for walls

I think that there is little proof that fiberglass insulation is toxic.

I used fiberglass and if I build another trailer I will use it again. Not only is it an adequate insulator, it helps quite a lot with sound transfer.

Another thing I like about fiberglass is that it doesn't really burn or add fuel to the fire.

My trailer had no infestation in the walls, and still, suppose a person uses something else, who is to say that if mice infest, they wont infest whatever is in the walls?

Just sayin....

Old 11-12-2014, 01:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Insulation for walls

[QUOTE=J. Morgan;1539003]I think that there is little proof that fiberglass insulation is toxic.

http://www.lung.org/healthy-air/home...iberglass.html

In my reading of this text, the only thing that might be toxic in fiberglass insulation is styrene..... Which if present is present in small concentrations.

What is foam insulation made of?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
spray foam is the only way to go

For remodeling ("green" or otherwise), closed cell spray foam is my first choice, open cell my second. Batt insulation my third.

Comfort and energy saving is not just about R-value - drafts and cold spots due to air leaks at cracks, and from settling of batt insulation, is quite noticeable. On old houses with lots of leaks and previous remodels, spray foam is amazing. No comparison. People notice the differnce just walking in the room after it is done.

If you do the research and ignore the hype and scare mongers, you will find that the new foam products have no out gassing after they cure.

DIY kits are available.

The advantages over any batt product in an RV are even greater.
  • good sound barrier.
  • fills cracks and crevices
  • 100% fill of all open cavities.
  • No loss of R-value from "stuffing" fiberglass into small spaces.
  • seamless air barrier - eliminate air leaks
  • high r-value
  • pest barrier and poor nesting material
  • will never sag or settle out
  • will never absorb moisture or water (any batt product that traps air well traps water well!)
  • cost difference over fiberglass is minimal in RV

Adding a thin thermal break on the ribs will help out more.

By using teltale holes, you can even fill exisitng empty wall cavities.
Foam It Green
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Fiberglass is not toxic unless you breath the dust from it. It is an excellent growth media for mold and bacteria as well as any other batt insulation. It traps odors from same.

Perry
Old 11-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Cheech and Chong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SlvrBelle View Post
I have been looking at using hemp. Seems to have an R value at about 3.7 per inch. Like that it is natural. What do all of you think of hemp as a viable option?
Cheech and Chong invented this technique
Google Image Result for http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/drugs-border.jpg
Old 11-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I would suppose that a leak is going to cause issues whether fiberglass or foam is used.

I have seen buildings where the bottom of the roofs have been spray foamed. When leaks happen, and they do, the water emerges no where near the actual leak.

Everything is a trade off in one manner or another.

Then we have the issue of future changes and repairs.....

I am not against spray foam I just don't think it is always the best solution, especially in an Airstream where the insulation is bypassed via conduction through the aluminum structure.

As far as spray foam stopping air infiltration, if the shell of an Airstream is problematic in this regard, there are problems bigger than the choice of insulation is going to fix.

And like I said, trying to find a contractor willing to spray my trailer was problematic, and the kits available for DIY were expensive. By my estimation it would have cost me 3k or more to buy enough product to do the walls of my trailer. Not worth it for my build. That would have been my single biggest expense.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
As far as spray foam stopping air infiltration, if the shell of an Airstream is problematic in this regard, there are problems bigger than the choice of insulation is going to fix.
If you plan to use your Airstream in the winter, and will heat with a propane-fueled furnace, then you NEED air infiltration anyway. You're never going to turn your Airstream into a Thermos bottle no matter how well you insulate.

And of course insulating the walls doesn't help you with the door, the windows, the roof vents, the belly pan, the storage compartments, and all the myriad other places where heat can get in during the summer or get out during the winter.

The principle of diminishing returns applies. When you spend more for better insulation than you would spend in propane to heat the trailer without the better insulation insulation, you're wasting money. So my recommendation is, do a good job of insulating, but don't obsess about doing a great job of it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #25
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you plan to use your Airstream in the winter, and will heat with a propane-fueled furnace, then you NEED air infiltration anyway. You're never going to turn your Airstream into a Thermos bottle no matter how well you insulate.

And of course insulating the walls doesn't help you with the door, the windows, the roof vents, the belly pan, the storage compartments, and all the myriad other places where heat can get in during the summer or get out during the winter.

The principle of diminishing returns applies. When you spend more for better insulation than you would spend in propane to heat the trailer without the better insulation insulation, you're wasting money. So my recommendation is, do a good job of insulating, but don't obsess about doing a great job of it.

That's the best advice I've heard yet. I use my AS all seasons... Propane is cheap and if your plugged in, space heaters work great. I've found and sealed air leaks coming in from around the fridge and also up from under the bed via the storage compartment. Fixing those and ensuring the insulation around doors and windows is doing It's job and in good shape.

I'm amazed at what people obsess over.... It's a trailer, a damn good one and it beats the poorly insulated tent I used to camp in 😏

Mark,
The path not taken is the one I take.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The furnace (if installed properly) will not consume combustion air from within the coach. The combustion air comes from outside. Thus the reason for 2 holes in the skin. One for exhaust and the other for combustion air.
If the combustion chamber is faulty CO could be emitted into the coach. CO detectors are recommended.
We always have a window cracked in the berthing area when sleeping. Even when the outside temps are approaching 0.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 01-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Terrace , British Columbia
I am using this insulation in my rebuild. EnergyShield Wall Insulation - Insulated Sheathing | Atlas Roofing
Except the stuff I am using is foil on both sides.

I am using a flexible spray foam for the seams along the ribs.

I am going to add a foam sill gasket to the ribs for a thermal break after it is sealed up.

I am at this stage in my rebuild right now.
You can follow my progress here.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...-94006-17.html
Old 01-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Has anyone ever performed or know of a thermal analysis (i.e. ASHRA type model) of an Airstream?