Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Thor was created after the two friends purchased Airstream and wanted to expand in the RV industry. I believe the four letters are those two people's initials.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I am trying to attach some pictures of the mods I have made to my trailer but they all say invalid file when I try to upload them. They are about 57KB each and are JPEG files. Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong or what I might try to find out?
Thanks
Ron
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Booneville , Mississippi
I agree!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Rich, that is one of the things I like most about the new Airstreams. They are so bright and open looking. Mine is like stepping into a dark cave. Cozy and depressing at the same time.
I just bought a 1978 Sovereign and the interior was in really good shape...but we have spent most of our time trying to add light to this long, dark, aluminum tunnel! LOL
Heath Pannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Something for Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipKS View Post
I like my cave with fuzzy walls. That said, I would also like the 'wallpaper' part of the walls to be shiny aluminum. Oh well. Someday, perhaps, after the most uncomfortable sofa in the world is replaced, I'll initiate a renovation in the kitchen/bath area, and make it the way I want it. As far as quality is concerned, while some of the fit and finish with the valance's is questionable, I'm happy with my '99. It was all original when I bought it as a well lived in 11 year old, and still functions well now.
As some have mentioned, the joy of the Airstream family and history IS the wide variety combined with the handmade-in-America mystique. We, too, like our dark wood and fuzzy walls. We looked around for quite a while before we found "our" dream Airstream, well cared for by the P.O. We admire diversity in interior decorating styles. That's why we enjoy The Canopener every year so much.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Hey, there's nothing wrong with different tastes. But the aluminum is what makes Streams different. I like to see that same look when I step inside. But to each their own. I don't mind the wood look on the partitions. The light "wood" contrasts nicely against the aluminum in my Sport. Too bad it isn't real wood though. But I am glad they use decent plywood instead of OSB. Maybe I should peel off the fake coating. I wonder if anyone has done that with the newer Streams.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Thor was created after the two friends purchased Airstream and wanted to expand in the RV industry. I believe the four letters are those two people's initials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
I could be mistaken, but didn't Airstream create Thor?
Yes and yes, in 1980, they then started acquiring other brands. Thor actually has a decent business plan compared to Fleetwood. If your brand gets taken over by Fleetwood it is just a matter of time before it will be gone. Thor manages to maintain brand identity.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan guy View Post
I am trying to attach some pictures of the mods I have made to my trailer but they all say invalid file when I try to upload them. They are about 57KB each and are JPEG files. Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong or what I might try to find out?
Thanks
Ron
Try using TinyPic.....if that works try contacting a Mod....or not.

Bob
Old 07-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile feathebedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Wasn't Thor tool co. factory in Aurora Il. a copy rite name? They made some fine electric tools. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Here are some modifications I have made to our 2007 Classic Limited. This has some dividers to make the cabinet above the sink more useful.Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet over sink.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	191280

This change was to use space under the sink that AS had blanked out, probably because it was more cost effective to build it the way they did.Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet under sink.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	191282

I added a microwave because they had not done so in their top of the line unit. I also added a spice cabinet like the one that was in our 1996 21'.Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave and Spice Cabinet.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	191281

Larger view of microwave. Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave and spice cabinet2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	191283

The upper part of the pantry was not very useful because you could not see, nor reach what was in the back. I added pull out shelves to resolve this.Click image for larger version

Name:	Pantry with pull out shelves.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	191284

Here is the picture showing the shelves pulled out.Click image for larger version

Name:	Pantry with shelves pulled out.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	191285

I have one more modification planned at the present time. Again it was something that was in our 1996 Sovereign. The space above the refrig is just blanked out. I drilled a hole in the side of the space through the wall of the adjacent closet and inserted a flexible scope and saw that nothing was preventing me from using this space so I will tackle it next. It will be a good place to store wine glasses.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Morgan Guy, isn't that space above the fridge blanked off so the fridge can vent out the roof.

Some earlier models had different interiors with the fridge mounted further away from the shell, allowing ventilation behind an over-the-fridge microwave. Ours has an extra exterior vent door for the fridge to allow a microwave over it.

Overall, all the niches and crannies are used pretty well but everyone finds ways to customize a bit. Or a lot, we are considering replacing the dinette/side lounge assembly with more comfortable recliner chairs because we are traveling six months a year. Not something I would recommend for weekend/vacation campers. To each, their own.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
The ventilation for the fridge is at the back of the fridge. The space on top is just dead space. I will box in the part I want to use and it will have no effect on the cooling. The tricky part is cutting out the face without making a jagged mess. Have to do that slowly.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan guy View Post
The ventilation for the fridge is at the back of the fridge. The space on top is just dead space. I will box in the part I want to use and it will have no effect on the cooling. The tricky part is cutting out the face without making a jagged mess. Have to do that slowly.
I thought the vent door at the back of the fridge was to draw cooling air in, and the the vent above in the roof is to let the cooling air out.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
in a motor home is saw a recess above to fridge to store mugs. i thought it was a great idea with minimal impact to the fridge ventilation.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Fridge Vent

Remember, when making modifications, that the enclosed area behind the fridge should be sealed as it is the "exhaust system" when the fridge is running on gas. It therefore needs to be completely sealed except for the vent in at the bottom or side and the vent out at the top or side.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Others would say when Beatrice Foods bought them in 1969/70... WTH does a food company know about building travel trailers?Aaron
A similar example -

Fresh out of college, my 1st job was with Tenneco Inc. in Houston - in the age of the "conglomerate" company. They owned a huge natural gas distribution & sales company and a well run oil company. To be trendy (read that as becoming a comglomerate company), they bought Newport News Shipbuilding (think aircraft carriers, as well as normal ships), J.I.Case tractors, Monroe shock absorbers and even an almond growing & sales company. They were proud to call themselves "diversified". They really thought a manager that was good in the oil patch could manage a ship building company. Or that a manager from the tractor company could make intelligent decisions running an oil company .

Last I heard, whatever remains of Tenneco was a pitiful shell of a small insignificant company.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Cabinet Over Refrigerator

I had said in an earlier post that I would add a cabinet above the refrigerator similar to the one that was in our 1996 Sovereign. I have done that with one exception, I left it as an open cabinet instead of installing a door. You have to be careful working in this area to avoid getting gas from the fridge combustion process from getting into the trailer. I very carefully caulked every seam as I was installing it. The front dowel rods are removable to make cleaning the space easier. The space behind the cabinet ends at the vent going to the roof and should make the exhaust gases flow easier with less turbulence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-31 15.09.24.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	192547  
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
very nice! if you made it out of aluminum it could be a bread warmer ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
very nice! if you made it out of aluminum it could be a bread warmer ;-)
looks great just the way it is..make me one :-)
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote