Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Post 39>Quote Russellt, "I've had some drawers come off their hinges entirely. I'm going to epoxy them to the frame myself. "

That's familiar to me. Had a similar experience with our 2012 23 FB Flying Cloud. We had ours for only 3 weeks and a couple of trips when the upper doors at the hinge started coming loose. I checked the screw length and there where twodifferent lengths. Took them all out and bought longer screws then used PVA glue to set them, no problems from then on. I believe that while in production the shorter screws must have been mixed in with the correct screws. Anyway I was able to use a longer screw which probably should been installed in the first place.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:11 AM   #42
TowingTom

2018 27' Globetrotter
Santa Ana , California
Question Lack of Airstream Quality Control!

We have owned our 2018 Globetrotter since Dec 31, 2017 & have encountered several issues indicating lack of Airstream quality control. Door lock failed on delivery day upon arrival at home requiring return to dealer for repair. Tongue power jack failed at dealership when we picked it up from door repair. Rear overhead speaker did not work, one wire not connected & speaker tab bent 180 degrees. Woofer mounted with 90 degree brackets on slanted face, brackets broke on first trip. Microwave cabinet misfit due to lack of locking screws in drawer slides. Screws fell out of bath mirror latch. Screws mounting chrome handle on bottom drawer under sink stripped. Driver side windows near table can not be set to lowest open position and opening rods lock in detente requiring someone opening window from outside to free them. Construction debris left in out of way places such as stripped wire insulation behind woofer & overhead speaker. Half eaten sandwich in overhead bin. Battery cable alignment prevents battery water inspection. Two interior door rivets broken off. No apparent QC!
TowingTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:37 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Bolivar , OH
My bathroom mirror latch screws also stripped out on way back home to Ohio since my last post. Otherwise we had a very uneventful 1200 mile trip home to Ohio.
Samstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:03 AM   #44
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samstu View Post
My bathroom mirror latch screws also stripped out on way back home to Ohio since my last post. Otherwise we had a very uneventful 1200 mile trip home to Ohio.
In general how does one go about repairing a stripped screw?

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post

Thanks!

For a stripped screw into the plywood, you can either try a longer screw (risk of punching through the opposite side of the plywood and protruding through the laminate if you go too long), or you can try a larger diameter screw the same length as a quick fix on the road. A more robust solution into wood might be to carefully drill out the hole with a flat bit (I would use a block of oak as a guide bushing) and glue in an oak dowel. You need to wait 24 for the wood glue to cure, and then drill a pilot hole for the appropriate sized replacement screw. This is a more robust repair that has less chance of future failure. If it is a blind area in a cabinet, another approach is to reinforce the area by gluing in a stringer pice of oak (assuming there is space for such an approach). There is no simple answer without specific layout of the area in question.
Kodiak2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #46
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowingTom View Post
......Half eaten sandwich in overhead bin......

That’s got to be the funniest QC issue ever. I thought I had heard it all, until now[emoji23]. Talk about rushing it off the assembly line? Poor guy had to eat lunch on the job and didn’t get to finish. I read a separate post where the poster took some trim off in the bathroom of his fairly new trailer to begin a solar install, only to discover an entire section of the black tank vent pipe missing. I guess the pipe guy left to eat in the lunchroom but the trim guy keeps working and eats on the job? Maybe he’s the sandwich culprit?

BTW, what kind of sandwich?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #47
TowingTom

2018 27' Globetrotter
Santa Ana , California
The sandwich was mystery meat on maybe rye or maybe those were mold spots! No forensics were done! We are now concerned that our second hitch jack is failing or is high pitched sqealing and rapid banging sounds normal?
Old 04-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #48
TowingTom

2018 27' Globetrotter
Santa Ana , California
Tongue jack Failure! Warranty?? What Warranty?

Tongue jack failure, Oh My! The screeching and banging noises I mentioned in my last post have advanced to complete jack failure to operate more than two inches! As we all know 2” ain’t enough to getter done! If not for a helpful fellow rv’er we would still be stuck in Blythe’s 100+ heat. His floor jack plus blocks allowed us to raise the tongue just enough to slide the ball into place. This Sat morn fail caught us 3-4 hours from anywhere we might get repaired! Scottsdale A/S service was closed and reported 1 week to order a jack and questioned our warranty (2018 purchased new from AS Orange County, Westminster, Ca! OCAS said their Las Vegas store could not help but if we drove the 4 hours + back to Orange County “they would look into it”! They did not recognize the failed Lippert jack as an Atwood jack post 2017 buyout! We await their decision to help
Old 04-29-2018, 06:13 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post

Thanks!

Break off a tooth pick or two in the hole and put some wood glue in it. Then reinstall the screw. Don’t over tighten it.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Russellt,

We're sorry to learn about the issues you described in your 2018 27' Globetrotter. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Hey AS... Since the new 2019 that I've ordered is hopefully coming soon I wonder if feedback from here is being addressed in the 2019??? Also, the warranty extended to 3 years is a great idea.
fourfauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #51
TowingTom

2018 27' Globetrotter
Santa Ana , California
Failed hitch jack story continued. We were forced to return to Orange County AS for repairs to jack. They required authorization from AS Inc for all warranty repairs including photos of failed part. OCAS replaced the jack unit. They moved the 2 rear drivers side window brackets (4 brackets mounted 3/4 “ to low) to solve the locking closed problem. Repositioned & properly mounted the sink hose weight to allow full extension & flow. Tightened the bath mirror strut tension to allow full opening. Rotated the table mount & replaced the 2 stripped screws causing the wobble. Realigned the door hinges to allow closure with reasonable force. I think anyone buying a new from the factory unit should plan on staying in the unit several days in the dealers lot to do the final QC testing that AS does not do!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #52
TowingTom

2018 27' Globetrotter
Santa Ana , California
Stay in the dealers lot for QC testing!

Failed hitch jack story continued. We were forced to return to Orange County ASfor repairs to jack. They required authorization from AS Inc for all warranty repairs including photos of failed part. OCAS replaced the jack unit. They moved the 2 rear drivers side window brackets (4 brackets mounted 3/4 “ to low) to solve the locking closed problem. Repositioned & properly mounted the sink hose weight to allow full extension & flow. Tightened the bath mirror strut tension to allow full opening. Rotated the table mount & replaced the 2 stripped screws causing the wobble. Realigned the door hinges to allow closure with reasonable force. I think anyone buying a new from the factory unit should plan on staying in the unit several days in the dealers lot to do the final QC testing that AS does not do!
Old 11-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #53

Loudon , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samstu View Post
Hi All:
My wife and I have spent two weeks in our new 2018 globetrotter on Chokoloskee Island and wanted to share our experiences.
I would post in the 2018 Globetrotter section, but there isn’t one (yet).
Let me say we love this trailer. It’s our first airstream but we have previously owned everything from a home built adventure trailer to a diesel pusher Bluebird Wanderlodge. We bought this to replace a fifth wheel flooded by Irma.
We love how quiet it is inside. Very tight during a recent thunderstorm. We love all the natural light and airflow when windows are open. We like the factory mattress and use regular queen sheets without issue. Walmart sells striped runner carpets with same color blue at edges as our couch upholstery. We have enjoyed the tv and sound system and have found them to be both easy and versatile. Hint: Go to setup menu and lock your phone in once paired and you shouldn’t have connectivity issues. Ultramarine app for phone allows remote control of stereo from outside which is a nice feature. We can confirm ease of cleaning spills on upholstery and floor.
We really love the minimalist design which fits with our continued downsizing and simplification of life. This trailer speaks to tiny house sensibilities and the clean design compliments the exterior nicely.
I will list some issues, most of which are minor and I bring up as these issues as they may not be unique and others may want to check prior to delivery: Other issues likely relate to being a new model with some growing pains or relate to bean counter design choices. Please don’t read them as a list of complaints but as my experience and opinion.
Issues at delivery:
Leaking AC unit in closet - fixed by dealer
Broken Shower Light -still on order
Speaker not working - fixed myself - both wires never connected
Issues I’ve since noticed
Broken chrome bezel around radio head unit (the guts are hidden under blue ray player in overhead bin. Replaceable and under 20 bucks on polk website
Poorly constructed and assembled kitchen cabinets with drawers that are out of alignment and crash into side of L penninsula when opened. I have adjusted some but slides used are lower quality units without built in adjusters so I will eventually remove and reinstall slides and probably whole side of cabinet by entry door due to poor alignment with countertop. In my mind, kitchen and baths sell houses and RVs and this kitchen is well designed but the execution is maybe 8th grade shop class….
Odd design choices made by AS:
Wasted space everywhere. Obviously, they have never spent time in a Roadtrek.There’s a big open space under closet with a hinged door which is a prime candidate for a build out. Three trash cans in kitchen is also an odd choice. I’m hoping to make a funnel for right counter trash hole to big trash can to make more useful. I’m also going to buy some more of those rubbermaid trash cans (made in USA, while they are still available cuz someday they will be replaced with chinese junk which won’t fit perfectly)
Sharp edge everywhere: I have cut myself entering cabinets on sharp laminate corners, most commonly getting clothes out of sterlite bins under beds.
Storage above refer is not self supporting so you have to hold door open with hand or head to get stuff in or out of cabinet.
Random use of corner beading around cabinets without much success where used. Almost like a partial fix of production issues with inconsistent application or simply an often forgotten item during installation.
Bathroom light switch hidden by hand towel holder.
Hot water tank switch similar to light switches used elsewhere and not hidden by hand towel. Hit the electric power on an empty hot water tank and find yourself out an electric element….
Dimmable overhead lights but not dimmable indirect mood lights.
TV in bedroom too low. I will build VESA shifter to raise it 4-6 inches with existing mounts
Too few towel bars (they are Kohler Alteo units and can be purchased at Amazon). There is also a matching robe hook available.
Some great Choices made by AS:
Radio head unit - polk waterproof marine unit with app control works well and sounds good.
Great lighting. Best I have since since our old Bluebird. Great for everything from reading to tv watching.
Zip Dee awnings (need I say more)
Laminate cabinets which are durable and clean easy.
Atwood hot water and real forced air furnace We like it cold at night but first thing in morning it’s great to hit heater and its warm in a matter of minutes.
Lots of made in USA labels on subassemblies. Thank you.
I’ve seen a lot of 27 Globetrotters that don’t have good fitment of the countertop on the part just to your right when you walk in. Very poor construction.
mccollde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pacific Palisades , California
I have been thinking of purchasing a Globetrotter. But, after all the quality control items I have read about on just this one post, I have to ask: Is there another manufacturer of similarly designed trailers that has a better build quality?
Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:54 AM   #55
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read View Post
I have been thinking of purchasing a Globetrotter. But, after all the quality control items I have read about on just this one post, I have to ask: Is there another manufacturer of similarly designed trailers that has a better build quality?
I am not aware of anything similar that is better then an Airstream.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Grand Junction , CO - Colorado (U.S. State)
We have had our 28FB GT for a few months now. It has been to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah and all over Colorado (our home state). We have had issues but the dealer and Airstream has been so far very helpful and ready to help. Our GT is at the dealer now in Denver having our list of items being taken care of.

I must say though, even with stuff that needs to be fixed etc, our experience with our Airstream has been amazing and I would do it all over again. This camper is so nice to spend time in. We love it.
mrfallover is offline   Reply With Quote