Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Fullerton , California
You don't want to glue it to the floor as it is a floating floor and it could create other problems. Your dealer should have a vinyl repair person that could repair it and you will hardly notice it. Airstream started shipping the new trailers with the table down to help eliminate the problem.
TinPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #22
LDM
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2024 27' Globetrotter
Jonesville , Louisiana
I put AS mat under our when traveling does not fall & protect floor. Just glue it back down myself.
LDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
I'll be blunt: the Airstream flooring material under discussion here is crap. It's unbelievably thin, and so flimsy that it can be cut with one's thumbnail (!). My 2017 International Serenity came with the same stuff, and it quickly became scarred, dented, and stretched/bulged. I took my rig to A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, TX this summer and had the entire floor replaced with Marmoleum. Not cheap, but what an improvement in looks and durability!
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Torn floor

We haven't had the floor issue, but we disliked the terribly sharp edge on the table, It made it very uncomfortable. So we had this table easily Made out of 3/4" unfinished birch plywood, and had 2 low profile Drawers installed beneath it on either side of the leg. They are great! My Apple laptop fits perfectly along with papers, pens, iPad, charging cords etc. We ran the charge cord in for out of the way charging. And it still folds down for sleeping. LOVE them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6974.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	320353  
FranM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
What a great idea! Do you find that the drawers reduce your leg room too much i.e. while trying to cross your legs while seated at the table? I, too, dislike the sharp edge of the table, it leaves imprints in my arms when using my laptop. How does the weight of your new table compare to the old? Could you share the name of the person who did this project for you? Many thanks!!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
I’ve been wondering why I was the only one who’s floor has been torn from the table leg and thought it was our fault for not bracing it during towing. We now put items around the leg to keep it from doing it again, but that shouldn’t be necessary. What do others do to prevent the leg from moving (we like the table up)? Or do some work and some don’t? Manufacturing wise it seems to not be working for us. Which means, unfortunately I have the same torn spot! UGH!

*We are in warranty, so thanks for the tip to put it on the list for the dealer to fix.
*Great tips here on the drawer/table! Extra storage is always a great thing.

Pat

IG: @coastalphoto
Coastalphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I failed to mention that in addition to the floor being torn when we took delivery, the 4 plastic “L” brackets they use to hold the sub woofer in place below the dinette seat on the curb side,
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #28
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
We have a nice throw rug/runner under the table with matching throw pillows on the lounge. This protects the floor from the leg...
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
In my previous post, I failed to mention that in addition to the floor being torn when we took delivery, all 4 of the plastic “L” brackets they use to hold the sub woofer in place below the dinette seat on the curb side were broken.

That tells me it can get pretty violent on the back end of a 27FB. I have no way to know if Airstream ships the trailers to the dealers with the tables up or down, but based on the torn floor and broken brackets, I will never transport my Airstream with the table up and something underneath it.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We put a 2" x 5" brass plate under the dinette leg in the and a slightly shorter one in the 23D (which had the flooring torn on the drive from the dealership to the modification center 2,000 miles away. We also replaced the the extremely cheap and poorly installed factory flooring in both trailers with Marmoleum. That is a bio product so no plastic fumes...

Picture is of Marmoleum flooring in our 2014 Classic and the brass wear plate under the dinette leg.

Note the brass plate was from a length of brass stock from an Ace hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Dinette foot brass plate.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	320550  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

spring valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Ron Glow,

We're very sorry to see this. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
I take delivery on a 2019 23cb Monday and am most pleased to see excellent customer service. Thank you.
divedemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #32
LDM
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2024 27' Globetrotter
Jonesville , Louisiana
Hi Ron did customer support ever contact you?
LDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Is this happening while traveling with the table up? Ours (27FB also) hasn't moved in about 3k miles of towing so far. We've only actually lowered the table once (when our grandkids came along) so perhaps ours is "tighter" so far? We don't travel with anything under the table. Thanks! Hope it gets fixed soon!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDM View Post
Hi Ron did customer support ever contact you?

Update: My initial message to customer service was sent on a Sunday. By Wednesday I still had not received any response at all, so my wife Brenda called while I was at work. She had to leave a message. Hours later, Michael Varno returned her call and they had a lengthy conversation about our issues. Brenda let him know about our complaint with the table damaging the floor. He asked if we had the table in "travel mode". I have read the manual and it does not mention anything about travel mode. Nothing was said to us at our dealer walk through either. Brenda also mentioned the 2 stripped screws holding the table brackets to the wall possibly contributing to the problem. She also told him about the stripped screw on the bathroom mirror latch and the lower latch on the kitchen panty which tore off during our last trip. Michael was sympathetic regarding the floor and table issue, but made light of "a few stripped screws". That's an unacceptable response from someone in customer service. It is also unacceptable that we had to call after my email. Airstream needs to have a better system in place to promptly reply to any customer message. I was left wondering if my message was received.

Michael called back the next day and was very sympathetic, offering to reimburse us for floor repairs done by a local flooring company of our choice. He also offered to connect us with someone at the factory to thoroughly explain all the trailer features if we were to go to the factory ourselves. Lucky for us that's only 350 miles away, but I just wanted to know how to fix it properly myself.

At this point, we have removed the table completely and I plan to design a new solution that works for us. I have also bought #8x3/4 screws to replace any other screws that are stripped or pulled out on any latches as I come across them. The screws that were used are much too short and had minimal engagement with the wood.

We both expected better quality and design from Airstream. I think Wally Byam would be disappointed in what we found.

Ron and Brenda
Ron Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Is this happening while traveling with the table up? Ours (27FB also) hasn't moved in about 3k miles of towing so far. We've only actually lowered the table once (when our grandkids came along) so perhaps ours is "tighter" so far? We don't travel with anything under the table. Thanks! Hope it gets fixed soon!
I think you should allow for the possibility of your table leg disengaging and place a rug or something similar under the table. The table leg has also made a dent in the soft flooring under normal use, so adding a wider surface under the leg where it contacts the floor would also be a good idea as well.

I have very strong feelings about this poorly designed system and don't understand why some trailers get the "good stuff" and others get this old, outdated system. Even the smaller 23fb has a high quality, adjustable table pedestal with drawer slides to allow you to adjust table positions.

Airstream needs to eliminate the weak areas and use what works across the lineup.

Ron
Old 08-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Glow View Post
Airstream needs to eliminate the weak areas and use what works across the lineup.

Ron
I’ll second that! They should include those upgraded screws too. Ha! We still had some left from when we had our 22ft Sport for that mirror in the bathroom in our Flying Cloud.

Unfortunately, your dealer experience can be due to your dealer’s management ( close 350 miles away...oh my!). We have had only excellent service at the dealers we’ve used. They aren’t all bad.

Bay Area Airstream, CA
Orange County Airstream
Temecula Airstream
Airstream Adventures Northwest, Oregon
Coastalphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
Update on customer support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Glow View Post
Update: My initial message to customer service was sent on a Sunday. By Wednesday I still had not received any response at all, so my wife Brenda called while I was at work. She had to leave a message. Hours later, Michael Varno returned her call and they had a lengthy conversation about our issues. Brenda let him know about our complaint with the table damaging the floor. He asked if we had the table in "travel mode". I have read the manual and it does not mention anything about travel mode. Nothing was said to us at our dealer walk through either. Brenda also mentioned the 2 stripped screws holding the table brackets to the wall possibly contributing to the problem. She also told him about the stripped screw on the bathroom mirror latch and the lower latch on the kitchen panty which tore off during our last trip. Michael was sympathetic regarding the floor and table issue, but made light of "a few stripped screws". That's an unacceptable response from someone in customer service. It is also unacceptable that we had to call after my email. Airstream needs to have a better system in place to promptly reply to any customer message. I was left wondering if my message was received.

Michael called back the next day and was very sympathetic, offering to reimburse us for floor repairs done by a local flooring company of our choice. He also offered to connect us with someone at the factory to thoroughly explain all the trailer features if we were to go to the factory ourselves. Lucky for us that's only 350 miles away, but I just wanted to know how to fix it properly myself.

At this point, we have removed the table completely and I plan to design a new solution that works for us. I have also bought #8x3/4 screws to replace any other screws that are stripped or pulled out on any latches as I come across them. The screws that were used are much too short and had minimal engagement with the wood.

We both expected better quality and design from Airstream. I think Wally Byam would be disappointed in what we found.

Ron and Brenda
I received a phone call today from
Randy McNeeley
Manager of Owner Relations
Airstream, Inc.

He was very concerned about the response time for my complaint.
On my end, I sent my first message on Sunday, but it was from the Airstream website, and did not go through. My second message I sent on Tuesday went through after I used my e-mail directly. So to be fair, I could not expect a response if the message was not received. I offered some advice to improve website responses. Randy asked if I needed anything else and truly wanted me to be satisfied with the level of service.

Ron
Old 08-30-2018, 06:38 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I have used Airstream dealers’ websites twice on my roadtrip for messaging and both times did not get a response. When I followed up with a phone call, I told them I had used their messaging system and that they had not responded. Both dealer people said that that system didn’t work and that I should always call. This wastes a lot of customer time, doesn’t it?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
we also did not like the table and either of the Airstream’s we’ve owned due to the sharp edges. Then the dogs roughhousing cause the original leg to snag and tear the floor . We were able to replace the table with two telescoping support and have a Corian table 37 inches long - 35 width . The Corian we chose matches Corian kitchen. It now is beautiful, still functions to make into extra sleeping. Also the telescoping support covered the one small tear. Hoping Airstream is reading this blog as this is a common complaint of many customers.
Yesterday I was able to see in person the many new types of flooring available that are commonly used in yachts . They are beautiful and guaranteed for life. I love the idea of our land yachts having similar amenities. Have always thought they were Yachty like.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote