Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2016, 06:06 AM   #1021
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks PB good advice. The 12-gallon range with 2 wheels sounds right for us. Have fun on your trip, and let me know if you want to discuss the thermostat setting on your fridge per my comment in your thread.

Have fun!

Peter

PS here is a recent thread about choosing totes for everyone's information:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...-152301-2.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #1022
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
I'm trying to figure out what the two tubes at along the floor next to my water heater are for. The are not the drain to the side panel nylon plug. When I open the valves on these red and white tubes, water rushes out onto the ground. I would have guessed that they are low point drains of the entire water system, but they were not left open by the Airstream dealer that did my winterizing.

Both the white and red tube valves are shut off in these four photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	264780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	264781  

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	264782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	264783  

2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #1023
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You have it right Marty. Bob [CruizinDux] and I discussed this last fall and posted photos. Stand by for the Post numbers. It is also described in the owner's manual.

See Posts 408 and 411 for photos. Bob had his dealer rework his valves as the slope was fighting gravity in some spots, and there are later posts with photos also.

If the dealer did not open these valves when winterizing you are lucky not to have any burst pipes IMO.

Peter
Old 06-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #1024
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Might the explanation be that the valves were opened to empty the pipes, then closed again in order for antifreeze to remain in the pipes?
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #1025
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yes that would make sense. Bob and I did not use antifreeze at all (except in the drain traps), so I was not thinking along those lines.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:35 PM   #1026
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Might the explanation be that the valves were opened to empty the pipes, then closed again in order for antifreeze to remain in the pipes?

Marty, I agree. probably closed again by the dealer as a manner of GP (assuming no AF was used) ....or for sure by the dealer if they used antifreeze. The by pass in that latter instance would also be close to keep the AF out of the WH itself. It is drained separately, although when pushing air for winterization I would often alternate open/closed to get all the moisture out that I could. Probably overkill. Like my contractors always say to me..." owner builder, over builder".

I think you're on track for the ID. white is the cold supply and red is the hot distribution. If you remove the few screws and pull off the plywood panel you'll see the whole picture and confirm that they in fact drop down thru the sub floor. Our (2014) valves on the WH connection (back flow probably and diverter are a little different) but in total serve to isolate the WH and push water down and out during winterization.

As noted y Peter, check out my original post of 408 (page 30) and Peter's on 411 as his were slightly different (and newer). My posts; 566 & 567 are after the dealer replaced the LP drains and even used a 3rd style (90 vs in line which are even better IMO) ...also reworked the plumbing a bit so it all flows down hill (aided by a nose down attitude) when pushing water to the front LP drains.

When I removed the plywood seat panel I was able to put the camera forward almost n the front storage under the bed and got a great perspective of what connects to what. Post some pics if it would help with the ID. Get a small line level and low spot/uphills will be obvious.

Good luck

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:43 AM   #1027
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Yes, those are the low point drains.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #1028
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Anybody had any problem with the seals staying in place when opening the cover?

I noticed after the SD trip, this one of the 2 had come off and was drooping on one side This trip, both have come off (held loosely in place by the cover)

After SD I applied generous amounts of the Aerospace protectant (Silicone) and that helped when opening them (they were binding). Being on the roof, it was quite the challenge working on these and can't see doing the protectant that often. I'll climb up this weekend and am thinking of small amounts of silicone sealant in the ribbed groove of the seal to keep it attached to plastic curbs of the FF top.

Bob
as noted earlier, I'm reluctant to apply any adhesive in the groove (in the curb) to adhere to the ribbed bottom edge of the seal inserted into the curb as it may preclude replacement down the road. I think I'll call FF to see what they have to say. Their website discusses (in general) the seal issue in their FAQ but offers no solution.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8525.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	264841  
Old 06-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #1029
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the heads up. Our seals seem OK, at least from below I don't see any loose parts of the seals sticking up.

The Fan-tastic Vent instruction booklet says to contact them if the seal is damaged, so they should be able to help. 800 521-0298

They recommend a water-based protectant like 303 for the inner rib of the dome which sits on the rubber seal. And a silicon product AK-1000 to be put on the top of the seal.

I finally figured out how to remove the Pop N' Lock screen. As the instructions say, the first time pulling down on the finger tab is difficult, but once you see how the retaining tabs are arranged on the hidden back of the screen ring, you can help the plastic ring get free more easily. The first tug feels like you are going to break the screen ring for sure.

I am going to put some 303 on the bottom of the domes right now. [ edit -- NG -- hands are too big to reach up through my the fan blades to do this. Will pass on roof work for now. ]

Thanks again for the heads up, Bob!

Peter
Old 06-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #1030
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Our seals seem OK, at least from below I don't see any loose parts of the seals sticking up.

The Fan-tastic Vent instruction booklet says to contact them if the seal is damaged, so they should be able to help. 800 521-0298

They recommend a water-based protectant like 303 for the inner rib of the dome which sits on the rubber seal. And a silicon product AK-1000 to be put on the top of the seal.

I finally figured out how to remove the Pop N' Lock screen. As the instructions say, the first time pulling down on the finger tab is difficult, but once you see how the retaining tabs are arranged on the hidden back of the screen ring, you can help the plastic ring get free more easily. The first tug feels like you are going to break the screen ring for sure.

I am going to put some 303 on the bottom of the domes right now. [ edit -- NG -- hands are too big to reach up through my the fan blades to do this. Will pass on roof work for now. ]

Thanks again for the heads up, Bob!

Peter
before I forget looking at Google Maps Hither Hills looks like a great beach stay!

I climbed up and used the 303 on both the dome and the seal when I summerized in April for Beachside. Either the arm/roller was binding or the seal was sticking as I could not open it electrically without it reversing closed after a few seconds. Part of the seal was out of the groove.

Thanks for the tips and contact info. I think I'll dig out the FF instructions. How could I have missed it

This time I didn't notice it until we were on our way home.

Bob
Old 06-21-2016, 04:12 AM   #1031
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
OT -- Yup Montauk is a great location. Ditch Plains is one of the premier breaks on the East Coast, with a bit of a rocky reef jutting out for mainly lefts. This webcam needs cleaning, but I think it is aimed right at the break when pointed to the left (not the angle with stairs to the beach).

http://www.beachlive.com/beach-weath...h-plains_24618

When we surfed Ditch in the mid-1960's (not a typo) we were usually the only ones there. We would drive out and sleep in vans in the woods at the tops of the cliffs nearby, where today dozens of multi-million dollar homes are. Like Blacks before houses if you can imagine that!

Oh -- "Time" to post a new song on the OTRA Music II thread I guess . . . plus some good road songs on the first thread.

Good luck with the vent seals, Bob.

Peter
Old 06-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #1032
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Well, I just pulled that 20 footer of mine all across the west and it was great. Gets a little crowded with two people but was fun to have a friend from home with me a couple of weeks. Had no problems at all, Vinnie pulled like a draft horse and Boomer just followed along. Back home, a few weeks trip to France and then back on the road. Worked on a horse ranch for a few weeks, got bucked off a couple of times, met some wonderful people and will be doing that again in the fall. Lots of posts here since I visited but glad this thread is still active. Love Boomer. Found having two generators very helpful while the umbilical cord was not hooked. As the Doobie Brothers would say----Got those highway blues, can't you hear my motor runnin'
Flyin' down the road with my foot on the floor
All the way in town they can hear me comin'
Ford's about to drop, she won't do no more
And i smell my motor burnin'
Underneath the hood is smoke
Can't stop, and i can't stop
Got to keep on movin' or i'll lose my mind
VinnyBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:49 AM   #1033
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyBoomer View Post
Well, I just pulled that 20 footer of mine all across the west and it was great.
. . .
Thanks for the great news. Glad it is all working out, as it was not too long ago that Kitty Feet was asking about the FC20 model here!

I posted that Doobie Brothers's tune on the OTRA Music thread. A great road song . . . for sure . . . Rockin' Down The Highway . . . yes . . .

BTW "China Grove" comes up next on YouTube. Another good one.

Have fun in France!

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Check out the homemade video with the DB YouTube.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...-i-143331.html
Old 06-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #1034
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
OT -- Yup Montauk is a great location. Ditch Plains is one of the premier breaks on the East Coast, .......

When we surfed Ditch in the mid-1960's (not a typo) we were usually the only ones there. We would drive out and sleep in vans in the woods at the tops of the cliffs nearby, where today dozens of multi-million dollar homes are. Like Blacks before houses if you can imagine that!

Oh -- "Time" to post a new song on the OTRA Music II thread I guess . . . plus some good road songs on the first thread.

Peter
In those days were the broads still balsa or had fiberglass been discovered?

Surfing road trips...compared to today, hard to believe how virgin is was. Blacks for sure. I remember standing on the cliffs above when there were only a few houses. I never climbed down nor made the hike from the cove, but many did.

Bob
Old 06-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #1035
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
OT --

Peter
You mentioned :The Fan-tastic Vent instruction booklet" I only have a 1 page 2 sided piece in my paperwork, and it is more for installation. No mention of the AK-1000.

I called F-V yesterday and they were very helpful. She was to email me some info (not yet received). Interesting though, they suggested "all in one" glue in select spots to keep it tacked down. Super glue was an option. SG is what they use at the seal joint/connection on the hinge end.

I googled AK-100 and mostly found references to "Barrels". She said that any water borne granite sealer is the same thing. It makes granite very slick and does the same for the seals. Reading the 303 label it sounds like it is more of a UV protection product...hence their instruction to use it on the dome (and fan and screen) and the AK on the seal

their website has a FAQ

http://www.fantasticvent.com/fan-tastic-vent-s-faq.html

At the bottom is a downloadable cleaning document. CS also suggested cleaning with denatured alcohol prior to treatment.

I'll take that queue and get some water based granite sealer locally.

Bob
Old 06-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #1036
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Actually Bob there were no broads on the beach back then.

I had one of the first 'glas boards made on Long Island, a Hawke 9' 6" made by Bob Hawkins one of the surfing pioneers in this area. RIP I believe.

Dashing off to Hither Hills SP for another two nights as we lucked out again on the waiting list early this morning!

Will post some ocean shots later.

Happy Trails to all -- Yee Haaaaa -- we are OTRA!

Peter
Old 06-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #1037
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post

Day 2 we laid up in Anacortes at Pioneer Trails for the next mornings ferry ride to Orcas Island. PT was a very nice property with nice sites, quiet and great management.

Hey! We were at Pioneer Trails Anacortes the same night. Saw you there, and then again at the ferry dock in the morning. We were heading over to Lopez Island sans trailer for a day trip.

Great area, we are considering another Pacific Northwest loop again next summer- beats the 105 deg heat of southern Utah!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #1038
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
Hey! We were at Pioneer Trails Anacortes the same night. Saw you there, and then again at the ferry dock in the morning. We were heading over to Lopez Island sans trailer for a day trip.

Great area, we are considering another Pacific Northwest loop again next summer- beats the 105 deg heat of southern Utah!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Steverino, yes I noticed you as well. You were a few doors down on the other side. I try not to intrude, our camp looked pretty quiet and didn't catch you outside to introduce myself. Hope you had a good time on Lopez.

We loved Orcas and had a great spot (privatecamping.net). The ferry for our <'40 was a heavy ticket and I suspect yours is the next category up. Worth every penny. Private camping was a wonderful location and a great home base, with full hookups (RV park for 1). We also saw some bald eagles playfully circling one morning. Maybe we'll cross paths again...this time I'll knock and say hello.

Happy Trails
Bob
Old 06-23-2016, 03:48 AM   #1039
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Back at Hither Hills SP for a couple of nights. Full-ish moon coming up over the ocean late last night was amazing but no photo sorry. Attached beach shot and sunset give a sense of life on the road . . .

PS shot is correct orientation when clicked on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	264989  
Old 06-23-2016, 03:51 AM   #1040
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
And the beach. [using iPad Mini for the first time so attachment process is different]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	264990