Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #1221
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahodian View Post
Well, went to pick up the 2014, had some issues. I have several questions, will start with this one, does anyone else have issues opening the windows over the dinette?
Yes! You must lube them with a silicone product (search threads). Prior to that, we would have 1 person lift latches and one person outside lifting an edge.
chevl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #1222
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
20-footers

Using a credit card to carefully, gently, and slowly separate the seal from the glass edge is one trick I have used. Don't use metal. One nick on the edge of a tempered glass pane will make it instantly shatter.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:02 AM   #1223
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great that you picked up the trailer, idahodian, and welcome once again to the forum!

Sticky windows is one temporary issue of many to come, and it is easily solvable, as you probably realize after reading this entire thread. We have all been there.

Our trailers are works in progress, and do require continuing "adjustments" to get them right. After you use the windows a bit, this will not be an issue. It is just that the rubber weatherstripping has a certain stickiness from the factory, which will fade in time.

Ditto to using a credit card, or other thin plastic device to raise one corner on the outside, after which the remaining edges will be easy to release (working from the free corner). I have a plastic glazier's windshield tool like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Chisel-Windsh...=glaziers+tool

Your owner's manual has advice on what to use on the weatherstripping to prevent sticking. My dealer said not to use silicon FWIW. These 303 Protectant wipes are very handy to use, and light to store in our small FC20's. Plus it can't spill like the liquid version can:

https://www.amazon.com/303-30381-Aut...otectant+wipes

The owner's manual is also available online. Please advise if you would like links to get there. The manual is not particularly well-written, nor entirely complete, but there is more info. in there than most folks realize IMO. With the forum being so easy to access, many simply forget to the read the manual!

Welcome to a new exciting world of fine-tuning a great investment, your new Flying Cloud 20' -- the best Airstream in the line up, at least in our opinion! [for our intended use that is]

Happy Trails,

Peter

PS -- Regarding the advice on this forum, in general, you will get the full range of advice, from the worst to the best, and the hardest part is often to separate the wheat from the chaff. There are various ways to search for answers, some good, and some frustrating. See Post #9 in the following thread (Site Navigation for Newbies -- in the site admin sub-forum) for more guidance:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...es-145169.html

In that Site Admin sub-forum, you can also start a new thread if you have questions for the admins and moderators, and they will reply in fairly short time usually. I had problems attaching photos to posts, and the mods were very helpful, even though I was a newcomer at the time last fall.

PS2 -- Feel free to ask questions here, as personally I do not like the Private Message [PM] function here. We have found a pretty agreeable middle path [IMO!] for keeping things on-topic, although some might disagree.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:49 AM   #1224
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS2 -- [ran out of edit time before]

As a broad brush overview, and in my personal opinion, Airstream trailers are designed to be used actively, and all systems will work best by being used often. This includes:

-- window weatherstripping
-- fresh water tank and plumbing
-- batteries and charger/converter
-- ventilation and mold/mildew control esp. in winter storage
-- tires and suspension
-- etc.

Trailers that sit around a lot, and owners who expect to "set it and forget it," only lead to hiccups and disappointment, which are easily avoided with careful and conscious attention to detail. [edit -- and use!]

Getting a little long-winded and preachy here maybe, so two high points to focus on next would be battery management, and using an inline water filter and new potable water hose to fill your tank and/or hook up to city water. Search Amazon for Camco RV water filter and the little blue ones will pop up.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Peter
Old 09-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #1225
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Pocatello , Idaho
So, I picked up my trailer in Boise, Wednesday,spent the night in an RV park there to check it out. Had a nice evening, my son came over to check my new digs out and have dinner, everything was great. I never unhooked the trailer because I was heading out first thing Thursday to head home before all of the Labor Day traffic. Planned to head out tomorrow for my first camping trip. Well about 60 miles outside of Boise the passenger side tire blew out. Received the repair estimate today and it is just under $1,000. Needless to say I am calling them in the morning to say I want the 16" wheels and the Michelin LT tires.
idahodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:48 AM   #1226
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
So sorry to hear this -- a pretty steep learning curve right out of the gate! Glad the damage was not worse, and that you were not injured. Do you know what your speed was at the time? I hope you can get the new wheels and tires quickly, and be on your way. Please keep us apprised.

Peter

PS -- I hope you took photos of the damage, and will be able to post them here some day down the road. In theory the tires are warrantied (by the manufacturer and not Airstream?), so I hope you can eventually get some reimbursement for this. Maybe your auto/trailer insurance will cover some of the body work, depending on deductible I guess. Yikes, a wake up call for us too . . .
Old 09-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #1227
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
So sorry to hear about the mishap! It sounds like you are safe, though, and that is what counts at the end of the day.

If you can post pics, details about brand, age of the tire etc...that would be great.

I hope it all works out positively for you.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #1228
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Pocatello , Idaho
I really had no issues controlling the trailer to side of the interstate. Only the trim around the wheel well on the exterior was damaged. My concern was when the tire guy took off the tire I could see damage to the wheel well and the brackets holding a couple of hoses had been stripped off. My concern was that the hoses, one of which I think is a propane hose had been damaged. The repair estimate that I received included replacing the wheel well encasement and the propane hose. I have asked that the dealer cover the cost of two new tires since it is clear at least one tire was defective when I bought the trailer. As I said before I want the wheels and tires replaced with 16" ones. I was going to do that anyway in the spring, I do think the dealer should pay for tire replacements.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:38 AM   #1229
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the additional details. Glad you were able to maintain control. What kind of weight distribution hitch ["WD"] do you have, and does your tow vehicle have its own built-in sway control? Knowing these would help the rest of us assess our WD etc. setups.

Would it be possible for you to post the DOT date of manufacture information from your tires (both if they are different)? You, Bob [CruizinDux], and we have the same 2014 model year I believe, and it could be very important to know if our GYM tires were from the same batch. There may actually be a serial number on our tires, but I am not sure about that. For your own records, taking a photo of the DOT info. tire stamps might be a good idea?

Date of mfg. info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...160811155954:s

Yes, also a good idea to have the propane lines etc. checked out.

Thanks, and once again, glad you are OK and that the damage is relatively minor.

Peter

PS -- I guess it wouldn't hurt to know the last 5 digits of your VIN from the plate on the front left corner I believe. When it gets light out I will post ours. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:23 AM   #1230
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
Thx
bob
Bob, if you want to compare our VIN numbers please post your last 5, and tire date of mfg. -- as will I. If our GYM tires might be from the same batch I will get ours done ASAP.

We compared our VINs a while ago during the disco light show discussion, I think, but I will do it again later.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 09-08-2016, 05:56 AM   #1231
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
GYM tire date of mfg. is 2713, or the 27th week of 2013.

From sticker on street side lower corner near front:
AS date of mfg. -- April 2014.
Last 5 of VIN -- 30691.

Curious to know how close these are to yours Bob and idahodian, and anyone else with a 2014 FC20.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- FYI this Bambi Blow Out thread has some good info. in it incl. insurance issues:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ut-155074.html
Old 09-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #1232
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Bob, if you want to compare our VIN numbers please post your last 5, and tire date of mfg. -- as will I. If our GYM tires might be from the same batch I will get ours done ASAP.

We compared our VINs a while ago during the disco light show discussion, I think, but I will do it again later.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter -- Not sure if you are considering moving up to 16", but I was going to kick out there that when I upgraded my spare in March there was a national shortage of the specific 16" Sendel that I needed (I think it's the T03-66655T). It took over a month to get the wheel in. Knowing that inventory problems are possible -- although probably unlikely to happen again -- if I was to do that upgrade over I'd consider shopping for the wheels as soon as possible possible, then buying the tires whenever that made sense. The tires are very common, but are most of the cost of the upgrade to 16".
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #1233
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, I am actually thinking of sticking with 15" and going to Nokian M&S per this thread. Seems like the weight ratings are OK at 2760.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...15-156339.html

If I could find 15" Michelin M&S E-rated available in their old line-up, I would go with them, but my impression is that Michelin's move to the new Defender line is mostly 16" availability.

I have read good things about Nokian M&S, and am considering them for our tow vehicle van later this year, as we are coming up on 30k and the OEM tires are, well, tired!

Old 09-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #1234
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Gotcha -- looking forward to a report.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #1235
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:

Thanks,

Peter

Peter it has been a bit chaotic as of late. This is the first time on AF since the 28th when I fell from a ladder and broke my femur just below the Hip.
I'll be posting to AF somewhere a comment re obstinate old geezers, safety & ladder usage.

Steve obviously the MO trip and our stop in Denver/Robb is on hold.

Plus I'll post photos on the propane tank holder. Seems in the end I had one intact screw, two that were snapped off due to being over-torqued at install and one missing. I surprised the tanks were still there. My apologies for typos...meds are making it a challenge

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #1236
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry to hear of your accident.

My sister in law fell off a high ladder 8-9 years ago, the ladder then fell on her leg.

Multiple compound fractures, plates, screws, skin grafts later....she still walks with a limp and wishes they had just cut it off.

I'm of the opinion that most of us aging folks have no business on ladders, unless you remain one of those who is as agile and nimble as a mountain goat.

I am not, and don't do them. You likely won't again.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and rapid return to your Airstream.

Maggie
Old 09-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #1237
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sorry to hear, Bob.

Yeah the learning curve about slowing down and reducing risk can be challenging. Don't ask how I know!

Absolutely no rush on any feedback.

Get well. You still have plenty of trips ahead of you!

Peter
Old 09-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #1238
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Thanks for the additional details. Glad you were able to maintain control. What kind of weight distribution hitch ["WD"] do you have, and does your tow vehicle have its own built-in sway control? Knowing these would help the rest of us assess our WD etc. setups.

Would it be possible for you to post the DOT date of manufacture information from your tires (both if they are different)? You, Bob [CruizinDux], and we have the same 2014 model year I believe, and it could be very important to know if our GYM tires were from the same batch. There may actually be a serial number on our tires, but I am not sure about that. For your own records, taking a photo of the DOT info. tire stamps might be a good idea?

Date of mfg. info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...160811155954:s

Yes, also a good idea to have the propane lines etc. checked out.

Thanks, and once again, glad you are OK and that the damage is relatively minor.

Peter

PS -- I guess it wouldn't hurt to know the last 5 digits of your VIN from the plate on the front left corner I believe. When it gets light out I will post ours. Thanks.
The tires were manufactured in 2012, don't know the month. As far as I know they were the original tires, Goodyear Marathons. I was being pretty careful with the speed I was going, probably around 62, uphill. The temperature was around 80. The dealer is going to pay for the new tires and the propane line and wheel well lining are going to be replaced. Hopefully, I will get it back soon. I have an equalizer brand hitch.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #1239
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Sorry to read about your experience thus far Idahodian, I hope your future travels are better for your family and Airstream.
In a side I wanted to bring up is that this morning when I was checking air pressure in our tires the street side metal valve stem started leaking only to find that the inner valve was lose so I tighten it and checked the curb side as well which was fine. BTW it was pretty loose. Lots of bad freeways in California probably attributed to this. Check your valve stems!
Old 09-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #1240
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Bob....sorry to hear about your accident! I wondered where you have been. Dang....please be careful and give yourself time to mend. Let me know if you are coming this way in the future.