Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #361
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
I agree with OTRA15. Thanks for those photos and the follow up to my suggestions.

Some where going to install a accumulator tank, when I made the pressure switch suggestion.

Some of your pumps are variable speed units. My 2011 had one. They sound very different than the others. They start off slow and build up speed. Some times they will just lub dub along.
It is funny, as your suggestions about the mouse pad material and loosely tightened screws through the feet, were exactly what I had said I might do in an earlier post or two. When I read your more recent post, I thought, "OK must be a good idea!"

I still think the HVAC contractor I know will have some specialized "feet" for this, but I am not sure if we have the clear height under the large drawer for a more complex (read "taller") system. The recent work helped a lot. I think some pipe insulation around various runs to and from the pump will help, especially if I use new larger clamps to tie everything to the floor again (with the pipe insulation WITHIN the new clamps).

Ditto for adding some sound deadening sheet goods here and there, as a lot of the remaining noise is simply a fairly low pump noise echoing all around under the oven IMO, and in the rear storage area, which has the diamond plate floor in it.

Talk about a perfect space for reverberation . . . !

PS -- I have been reading about the variable speed pumps. TBD until next year I guess . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #362
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Fresh water drain modification

Here's pictures of my modification to our 20'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fresh_water_valve.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	251496   Click image for larger version

Name:	drain_hose.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	251497  

knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:54 AM   #363
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the photos knunut, very handy set up!

Please forgive a couple of small tweak suggestions --

You may want to stow that red handle in the trailer (and have an extra?) when we are clear of cold weather, as it is a very tempting red flag for someone to play with in a public parking lot, etc. IMO. In construction, we used to take the handles off ball valves all the time. Also, maybe close up the exposed end of the valve with a brass plug?
Old 11-02-2015, 02:26 AM   #364
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Knunut - Your hose to the outside of the trailer is a great idea for convenience. I wonder whether the hose could just be attached around the white plastic drain valve stub after hacking off the valve itself instead of working inside the metal box that contains the fresh water tank (and having to unrivet and re-rivet). Any comments on that idea?
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #365
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
We're heading to the Carolinas the second week in November for two weeks . . .
Not sure if you have been checking the monthly weather charts linked in Post 346, but as I have been planning our trip south later this month, it seems as if the line graphs at the bottom of all the charts have been getting warmer and warmer, all over the East Coast. The forecast highs and lows are fairly uniform in being above the average highs and lows, which in turn are well above the record low blue lines at the bottom. One benefit of global warming maybe . . .

Have a great trip.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #366
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Re: Fresh Drain : Brass plug was not in photo,but is used.
Connecting to Original drain was no improvement re speed of drain. Was slow thru orig. Much faster Direct to tank. Besides Plastic ones break !
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #367
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Not sure if you have been checking the monthly weather charts linked in Post 346, but as I have been planning our trip south later this month, it seems as if the line graphs at the bottom of all the charts have been getting warmer and warmer, all over the East Coast. The forecast highs and lows are fairly uniform in being above the average highs and lows, which in turn are well above the record low blue lines at the bottom. One benefit of global warming maybe . . .

Have a great trip.

Thanks! We're leaving Sunday and I can't wait! Mountains first at Asheville NC then SC coast for Hunting Island Hiatus. First Rally of any kind for us...I'll post some pics.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:15 AM   #368
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sounds good. We are also aiming for Asheville around Thanksgiving. The forecast lows are just above freezing later in the month, but still well above normal. This could change as current data is integrated into the database IMO:

Asheville November Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for NC 28801

Wonder if the campgrounds will be less crowded as the normal weather this time of year is colder?

"On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again!"
Old 11-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #369

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
Atwood furnace questions

Hello all. I am posting in the 20 footer section because I am thinking that my questions will be specific to the size of our coaches.

Does anyone else think the furnace fan is overly loud? I'm thinking that in larger coaches maybe the heater unit is father away from the sleeping area, but in a 20 foot everything is close!

Is there a different replacement furnace that would be quieter? Or a different fan for the existing unit?

Also, we have been overnighting in some colder weather (30s but not quite freezing), we keep the furnace on 50 while sleeping, fine for us but we have a dog inside to consider, and I get a bit worried about my battery levels (we are not plugged in) if the heat cycles on and off a lot during the night. I have 100w solar panel but some sites don't have full sun exposure or weather is cloudy so my batteries do not get all the way charged back up. So for multiple nights it is a concern.

Is there a more efficient furnace out there? My one solution has been to use a portable indoor propane Buddy heater but it does not have a thermostat for the overnight times.

Thanks for any input. I have learned a bunch from this forum!
Cucciolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #370
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Emu

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #371
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Oops pocket reply

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #372
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucciolo View Post
Does anyone else think the furnace fan is overly loud? I'm thinking that in larger coaches maybe the heater unit is father away from the sleeping area, but in a 20 foot everything is close!

Is there a different replacement furnace that would be quieter? Or a different fan for the existing unit?

Is there a more efficient furnace out there? My one solution has been to use a portable indoor propane Buddy heater but it does not have a thermostat for the overnight times.
The furnace on the 20's is a direct vent, that is there is no ductwork and the furnace fan pushes the air right out the front into the trailer. Other larger trailers have the furnace enclosed and the ductwork involved keeps the fan noise down somewhat.

There is no way to modify the furnace fan as it is integrated with the entire combustion system.

I don't find the noise on mine to be objectionable but that is different with everyone, I am sure.

The only other brand furnace which might fit is a Suburban, and their direct vent units which will fit are about the same sound level as the Atwood you have now. I know, as I have one in my 20' Argosy. So, no replacement that a I am aware of.

The power requirements of the Atwood furnace are actually quite modest, mine takes 3.65 amps when the burner is on, and 2.9 amps when the burner is off but the fan is running. So, slightly more than 3 amps per hour of run time. That is not bad. I figure about 50% on, 50% off time so overall the average is only about 1.5 amps per hour.

Heaters such as the catalytic ones, or Buddy heaters or Blue flame heaters are not allowed by RVIA code standards so you will never find them as factory equipment on any Airstream. There is good reason for this prohibition, and the smaller the trailer, the less safe they are. And yes, I am aware that many people have installed them in their RV's but it simply is not a great idea.

I wish I could give you a better answer to your furnace sound issue, but there is no easy one that I am aware of.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #373
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A new music channel in the off-topic lounge is now on the air!

What gets your juices flowing to be On The Road Again?

Please add your favorite road songs to the mix!

Thanks,

Peter

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...-i-143331.html
Old 11-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #374
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucciolo View Post
Hello all. I am posting in the 20 footer section because I am thinking that my questions will be specific to the size of our coaches.

Also, we have been overnighting in some colder weather (30s but not quite freezing), we keep the furnace on 50 while sleeping, fine for us but we have a dog inside to consider, and I get a bit worried about my battery levels (we are not plugged in) if the heat cycles on and off a lot during the night. I have 100w solar panel but some sites don't have full sun exposure or weather is cloudy so my batteries do not get all the way charged back up. So for multiple nights it is a concern.

Thanks for any input. I have learned a bunch from this forum!

It is loud, always wakes me up! We set our thermostat at about 50 as well. Dog has his blankets too!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:41 PM   #375
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
A new music channel in the off-topic lounge is now on the air! What gets your juices flowing to be On The Road Again? Please add your favorite road songs to the mix!
Thanks,Peter

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...-i-143331.html
Peter great idea. My turntable is already spinning in my head. I'll be back...see ya on the other thread. So may good tunes.

Tomorrow is a sunny day and is my 1st pass on weatherization.
Thx
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #376
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Looking forward to some tunes on the other thread, Bob. Finally got my second winterization done today, as they are calling for a hard frost overnight.

Have you checked to see if your lavatory sink drains into the black water holding tank by any chance? I read on another thread that recent model years of Flying Clouds do this, as the route to the grey water tank is more difficult. Not a big deal if so (and it probably helps actually as the grey tank seems to fill up pretty quickly) but it would be good to know. I didn't have time today to R&D this.

I did finally get around to checking to see if my city water inlet leaks at all when connected and under pressure, and it is fine. Thus eliminating one possible variable for the leak I mentioned a while ago as probably coming from the black water flush supply line's vacuum breaker tucked up under the lavatory counter.

Peter
Old 11-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #377
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Thanks! We're leaving Sunday and I can't wait! Mountains first at Asheville NC then SC coast for Hunting Island Hiatus. First Rally of any kind for us...I'll post some pics.
Sounds like a great trip! Travel safe.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #378
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Today was a very sad day. We winterized the trailer getting it ready to put way for the season. It was a nice day to work on it - but as we cleaned and prepped for freezing weather, we couldn't help be a little 'down'... but on the bright side we had such a great summer & fall season with our 20' advenures we feel incredibly lucky!

Here's a question for the group: how much stuff, if any do you pull out of the trailer when putting it into storage for the winter?
Last season, I pulled out everything including soft goods. Which means even the seat cushions came out. That's a lot of stuff to find a place in the house for!
We rent a heated garage space & winterize in case of power loss (which historically has happened in our area).
This year, I'm thinking of leaving the cushions and some bedding/towels in the plastic bins along with all dishes, cutlery etc. which will help in terms of not having too much stuff back at the house.
Let me know what your best practice is. I'm open to what you actually do for cold weather storage. Thanks!
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #379
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Hey Wild Child, I know the feeling. I put her to bed for the winter today too . . .

I plan to store her outside for the winter, with batteries removed, but with 2-3 Damp Chasers plugged in to 120 volt receptacles and located here probably:

-- under the bed with door left open
-- in head, stuck down in space to right of and below toilet (where I had removed the aluminum cover plate in order to R&D leaks)
-- under the sink

These Damp Chasers have a low draw, and emit a safe and gentle heat. They were designed for old musty closets in old houses with no A/C or dehumidification. My family has used them all over for decades, and they work great!

I remove all liquids/gels which should not freeze, leave all cabinet doors open, use sponges to prop open the freezer and fridge doors (very important IMO). I will probably leave a small fan running inside all winter with the bath door open. The 3 Damp Chasers and circulating air will keep things pretty fresh until Spring. I did the same thing with my old 25' in the 90's and it worked out fine.

If we get a stretch of nice dry and sunny weather, I try to remember to crack a window by the dinette and a skylight or two. I love the windows we have hinged at the top, which permit this! This would work in your storage area too?

Damp Chasers may be called Golden Rods in Amazon. I will post links later.

[posted without editing or checking for typos!]

Later . . .
Old 11-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #380
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sorry for the hasty departure before . . .

Here are the Dampp-Chasers, which come in different lengths:

Storage Dehumidifier | Dampp Chaser

The local hardware store carries this brand, which comes in different lengths. 18-24" is plenty for the 3 locations I mentioned earlier, although maybe a 36" or 48" would be better under the bed. Hmmm.

Here is a similar product at Amazon although I have never used this brand:

Amazon.com: GoldenRod Original Dehumidifier, 18-Inch: Sports & Outdoors

In your house, if you have any closets or parts of the basement which are a bit moldy or tend to get mildewed, the Dampp Chasers will take care of these problem areas as well. They come with pretty long white cords BTW.

For the winter I will run a 50' #12 extension cord to the trailer's shore power 30A cord (with 15A/30A plug adapter) to supply the trailer's outlets for this low wattage use. Even after the batteries go back in, this will also be enough to handle the battery charging system IMO.

PS -- propane off for the winter too.