Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
Ron at Foley tells me they have slowed the production line (just after our unit came off!) and that our issues (cabinets) were the subject a conference call to Ohio, so your unit might not have the issues ours has.

You must be so excited with all the great changes ahead! I retired 2 months ago (and it's wonderful!) and Greg goes the first of February.

We have reservations for Canopener but now are thinking we won't go. The thought of making that same long drive so soon after having just done it isn't appealing, and we have so much to get done in January before we can take off. But if we go, we'll look you up!

You should go to Canopener - it is a great time. We will be there

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
This to shall pass

Joanne/Greg: Congrats on your new Classic and most importantly your new lifestyle. I take delivery of my AS Classic in April and retire at the end of May and I can hardly contain myself. As far as the QC issues, they tend to work themselves out and the best approach is to take it all in stride and enjoy the ride. The towing and backing will get easier. Good prior advice to keep one hand at 6 o'clock on the steering wheel and turn your hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. One other thing regarding LP. some states prohibit LP from being on during towing. Take care, good luck and enjoy.
Molinari47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
My Classic comes out of production Monday the 14th. While reading the OP's post I found myself getting angry with Airstream's lack of quality control and really feeling bad for the new owners. The waiting, the excitement, the many dollars spent, all met with disappointment in the quality they received.

I sent a message to the area rep of Airstream and let him know that I would not accept anything but a quality-built Classic, and that he should ensure that a thorough quality control inspection is performed before it is shipped. I'm not going to hold my breath on that happening, but I assured him that I will not take delivery of the Classic if I find any problems with it. I had requested to be notified when it was going into production so I could go to the factory and watch it being built. That didn't happen. I, too, am very disappointed to hear that quality control at Airstream leaves much to be desired. New owners should never have to make a pilgrimage to Jackson Center to address problems that existed when their unit left the factory!
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Turbo Diesel 4x4
Vietnam Veteran Army 70 - 71
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molinari47 View Post
Joanne/Greg: Congrats on your new Classic and most importantly your new lifestyle. I take delivery of my AS Classic in April and retire at the end of May and I can hardly contain myself. As far as the QC issues, they tend to work themselves out and the best approach is to take it all in stride and enjoy the ride. The towing and backing will get easier. Good prior advice to keep one hand at 6 o'clock on the steering wheel and turn your hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. One other thing regarding LP. some states prohibit LP from being on during towing. Take care, good luck and enjoy.
Not during towing, at Gas Stations on propane.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I travel 9000 miles this summer and yes you will have something go wrong, it's just the way it is regardless of the mount of money you spend.

My last Sail boat was a 50ft and on our first sail from SD to Hawaii we were out 200 miles and loss steering, took better part of a day to fix in high Seas.

Things will and do happen.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 12-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
First thing is to stay off the interstate.

Then retired take your time, you will find a new world out there.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 12-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
You weren't in a Beneteau were you? Ours was a Beneteau 411. Lost steering when the cable snapped during a big storm. We were in the Gulf off Galveston. Didn't think it was a big problem until we realized the emergency tiller was not on the boat where the dealer was supposed to have put it. It was an awful experience that involved the Coast Guard. Never want to go there again. The memory made me ask my DH to go make margaritas!
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
Wow! Reading all of this thread makes me feel good about buying a 1971 Sovereign and doing all of the work myself. Its a shame that Airstream isn't more concerned about QC. I hope you get all of your issues resolved.
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #29
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
I wonder if putting the money in escrow at the time of order, then refuse to accept the trailer if it has major defects, would get the message across. Have the dealer send it back and start over. After all, we would 'like' a new Airstream, but we don't 'need' one.

Whaddaya think?
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
In keeping with your Clint Eastwood analogy, you'll probably go through A Fistful of Dollars early on, maybe even For A Few Dollars More, move across the country as High Plain Drifters before finding yourselves capable of traveling Every Which Way But Loose. But if you do find yourselves in need of some help again, you'll find there are plenty of Space Cowboys here to help you out.
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
I wonder if putting the money in escrow at the time of order, then refuse to accept the trailer if it has major defects, would get the message across. Have the dealer send it back and start over. After all, we would 'like' a new Airstream, but we don't 'need' one.

Whaddaya think?

I think you're dreaming - no dealer or AS is going to go for that in my opinion.

I get frustrated too and think AS should do better but expecting zero defects, especially after being towed to the dealer by some hot rod in a dualie doing 80 MPH, is a bit unrealistic.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post
In keeping with your Clint Eastwood analogy, you'll probably go through A Fistful of Dollars early on, maybe even For A Few Dollars More, move across the country as High Plain Drifters before finding yourselves capable of traveling Every Which Way But Loose. But if you do find yourselves in need of some help again, you'll find there are plenty of Space Cowboys here to help you out.
So true and hilarious. Especially the Fistful of Dollars. (I wish I had thought of it.)
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Sorry to hear about your troubles! It boggles my mind that the quality control is so bad, I can't understand why it's that way on a top of the line item. Even though you had such a bad introduction to Airstreaming you now have a great campfire story! RVing will make a zen master out of people who stay with this lifestyle. You are progressing well Grasshopper! Welcome to the club! Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post

Whaddaya think?
You put down a deposit, make sure it is stated "refundable", and place your order. If the trailer is not what you want, you take back your deposit and walk away. The dealer ordered it (you bought it from him - not the factory), and it goes into their inventory. I did that earlier this year with a Shasta that we decided against once seeing it.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We bought our AS used (about three years old) and reading this sort of thread make me glad we did!

We have had it now for over seven years - had a few minor issues, but nothing I have not been able to deal with myself - whoops, I tell lie, one year when heading south for the winter, I cornered a high concrete curb buried in light fluffy snow as we were stopping for gas in a snowstorm! I was really brought down by that!

My wife suggested we detour to Jackson Centre on our trip and get it fixed by the pros, and that was what we did - it cost a couple of grand and a couple of days out of our trip, but it was fixed properly!

So we all have these little hiccups! Things get better!

I will say though that while at times I have thought about upgrading to a brand new AS, posts like yours certainly make me think twice - I would be really ticked off if I encountered the things that you have suffered for that kind of $$ you spent.

Unless there is abundant evidence that AS are shown to have improved a lot in their QC, (and does something about filiform corrosion,) I think I'll just stick with what we've got, warts and all - at least i don't have to worry abut getting that first scratch!

In any event - once you get these initial problems sorted out - and I'm sure you will - it will just get better and better!

Not to say you won't have future challenges - but you will take them in stride and deal with them - all part of the fatal attraction that is RV'ing!

No doubt the RV driving course will be helpful, - but time and experience is the key - it doesn't really take long, and you will soon be masters at backing into tight sites!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #36
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Every new trailer will have some issues, we have the first 2015 Classic that came off the line. We did have some defects but I will tell you everything was fixed to our satisfaction on our visit to the factory. We were treated very well at the factory and we love our trailer. Please do not cancel your Canopener reservation, we would love to see you there.
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Every post I've read about Jackson Center is very positive from complicated repairs to inside modifications. Once there all your issues will be resolved and the bad & ugly will disappear. Also, have them install a rear view camera which will help greatly with backing up. The last thing you want to do is back into something & cause further damage.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Also, have them install a rear view camera which will help greatly with backing up. The last thing you want to do is back into something & cause further damage.
Yup, that's on our list. I figure also after living in it for several months, we'll have a few other small customizations on our list, such as an additional outlet or two. I'd love one in the wardrobe for the stick vac.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
This too shall pass....You are not the first and won't be the last.

I do hope the insurance takes care of most of the repairs from the accident. Do get a thorough estimate from JC now while you have time,for the insurance co before you go. The insurance co. appraisers have no realistic idea of what Airstream repairs cost.

So much more important are your lives.
Safe Travels...
Old 12-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
Yup, that's on our list. I figure also after living in it for several months, we'll have a few other small customizations on our list, such as an additional outlet or two. I'd love one in the wardrobe for the stick vac.
I plan to stop there next May as I'll be in Buffalo for a graduation, so I e-mailed them on the camera cost & it's just short of $900 installed.
Not sure I'll do it as I don't have an issue backing up but I sure like the idea of knowing what's going on behind me as I roll down the road. Their are less expensive camera installs but I don't let car shops mess with my baby.
Be sure to schedule your all appointment well in advance.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote