Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
15% is Thor's GP, not Airstream subsidiary.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:29 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Subsidiary's must "pay" the parent and that comes directly off GP. Even if the original purchase price has been paid off to the parent. I actually could care less what profit Airstream makes as long as they continue to stay in business, grow, innovate and provide the products they have for us. Again, I feel your pain in having one that is not up to the quality you want, I am confident there are folks out there more than willing to buy yours so that you can get into a brand you want and would be satisfied with.

Best of luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Have you considered Northwood Arctic Fox line?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If I wanted to go big, it wouldn't be a TT. It would be a fifth wheel. Then there is a whole different set of challenges.
At this point in my life, smaller seems right.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If I wanted to go big, it wouldn't be a TT. It would be a fifth wheel. Then there is a whole different set of challenges.
At this point in my life, smaller seems right.

What are you referring to? Northwood makes trailers and 5th wheels. Most are mid sized.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
Have you considered Northwood Arctic Fox line?
Ya I looked into them, but they don't fit much my quality and look desires.

If I were going to switch out my AS for something that could basically handle everything, it would be a Canadian Roughneck:

https://www.roughnecktrailers.com/ap...rochureLOW.pdf

Yes, not very attractive. I would have to remove all the counter-tops and install solid surface ones. Replace the flooring and some other odds and ends to "pretty it up".

But boy, those features like being able to go down to -40C up to +45C without issues, super beefy frame, supposedly built really well, huge beefy frame and oversize axles, 100 gal fresh water, etc.

Put a bunch of solar on top and this thing is like a boon-dockers dream. Take it anywhere and survive.

That tongue weight though is crazy! It would be hard to go from such a beautiful trailer to such an ugly one though.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Yes, the roughneck is plain and utility but it will take the cold. I think the real issue is deciding what you want to accomplish or need in an rv. What meets your needs. Each person has their own interests.
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
The ability to take the cold and heat without issue is very tempting for me. I know you will say; what the heck was I thinking then buying an Airstream? Maybe a glutton for punishment...

The version on this page looks much better:

http://reddeerrv.com/roughneck

I think 5-10 grand in interior mods and it would look pretty decent.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
I can't point any fingers at you. I bought a Classic too.
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
No doubt a beast-- 1350 tongue weight though...yikes!
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Ya I looked into them, but they don't fit much my quality and look desires.

If I were going to switch out my AS for something that could basically handle everything, it would be a Canadian Roughneck:

https://www.roughnecktrailers.com/ap...rochureLOW.pdf

Yes, not very attractive. I would have to remove all the counter-tops and install solid surface ones. Replace the flooring and some other odds and ends to "pretty it up".

But boy, those features like being able to go down to -40C up to +45C without issues, super beefy frame, supposedly built really well, huge beefy frame and oversize axles, 100 gal fresh water, etc.

Put a bunch of solar on top and this thing is like a boon-dockers dream. Take it anywhere and survive.

That tongue weight though is crazy! It would be hard to go from such a beautiful trailer to such an ugly one though.
With all your housing and belongings on wheels why worry about too cold or too hot? Hitch up and move to where the weather is just about right. Just saying.
In 5 years I have never winterized our trailer. Come October move south. Come May move north.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
The ability to take the cold and heat without issue is very tempting for me. I know you will say; what the heck was I thinking then buying an Airstream? Maybe a glutton for punishment...

That trailer is made for a Construction dude.
You would need a 1 tone DW to pull that sucker.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #53
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
If you are not set on buying something new, keep your eyes open for a nice Avion travel trailer. They are insulated much better, using spray-on foam insulation in the walls and ceiling, and a plywood-foam sandwich in the floor. And overall, they are built much better (from the frame up).

If you are patient, a nice one will pop up for sale, at a fraction of the cost of anything else that has been mentioned.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #54
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:

If your situation is such that depreciating it and the tow vehicle as a business expense is par, then a qualified "maybe". I see nothing that tells me it'll last ten years plus.

And before cosmetics it needs Dexter torsion-flex or MOR/ryde independent suspension. Disc brakes. Plus a Pro Pride hitch. And I wouldn't trust the tires given the crap standard suspension.

32' and should have been on a tridem, not tandem, arrangement with that weight. Road shock mitigation, not just reduced TW. Best tracking.

Fine when stationary. Not so fine going down the road.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
With all your housing and belongings on wheels why worry about too cold or too hot? Hitch up and move to where the weather is just about right. Just saying.
In 5 years I have never winterized our trailer. Come October move south. Come May move north.
I get that a lot. All Airstream owners must be retired.

As a helicopter pilot, sometimes I need to go to where the weather isn't 70F. Not to mention, I do like the different seasons camping. I know that may change as I get older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
If you are not set on buying something new, keep your eyes open for a nice Avion travel trailer. They are insulated much better, using spray-on foam insulation in the walls and ceiling, and a plywood-foam sandwich in the floor. And overall, they are built much better (from the frame up).

If you are patient, a nice one will pop up for sale, at a fraction of the cost of anything else that has been mentioned.
That is a good tip! I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
If your situation is such that depreciating it and the tow vehicle as a business expense is par, then a qualified "maybe". I see nothing that tells me it'll last ten years plus.

And before cosmetics it needs Dexter torsion-flex or MOR/ryde independent suspension. Disc brakes. Plus a Pro Pride hitch. And I wouldn't trust the tires given the crap standard suspension.

32' and should have been on a tridem, not tandem, arrangement with that weight. Road shock mitigation, not just reduced TW. Best tracking.

Fine when stationary. Not so fine going down the road.

Yes, I've taken quite a few of those points into account. I know nothing out there is going to tow and look like an Airstream. That Roughneck only has 2K lb more GVWR than my 30 Classic, so it's not like the difference is extreme.

I would have easily paid more for say a Airstream "Classic Elite" trailer. One that has actual quality instead of just advertising such.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #56
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I get that a lot. All Airstream owners must be retired.

As a helicopter pilot, sometimes I need to go to where the weather isn't 70F. Not to mention, I do like the different seasons camping. I know that may change as I get older.

That is a good tip! I'll keep it in mind.

Yes, I've taken quite a few of those points into account. I know nothing out there is going to tow and look like an Airstream. That Roughneck only has 2K lb more GVWR than my 30 Classic, so it's not like the difference is extreme.

I would have easily paid more for say a Airstream "Classic Elite" trailer. One that has actual quality instead of just advertising such.
It's not the weight. It's the shape. Second is a crude suspension. Together it is a significantly different experience: earlier bothered by crosswinds, and less able to resist.

As the floor is likely a good deal higher, it's center of gravity makes it easier to roll.

Now increase the weight. And note how much of it is outside the point where the spring leaf pack is attached to the axles.

There's good reason ordinary folks are wary of conventional hitch travel trailers. This one has all the demerits AND it's freakin' heavy.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:40 AM   #57
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:

As a helicopter pilot, sometimes I need to go to where the weather isn't 70F. Not to mention, I do like the different seasons . . .
Dude, forget the Roughneck, get one of these, trick out the inside for living quarters, and sling a Smart car underneath. Ultimate boondocking and business travel [emoji6].

Name:   220px-Army_CH-47_helicopter_on_July_16,_2008.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  6.9 KB
Old 09-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #58
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
https://earthroamer.com/xv-lt/
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Dude, forget the Roughneck, get one of these, trick out the inside for living quarters, and sling a Smart car underneath. Ultimate boondocking and business travel [emoji6].
Attachment 295323
Already done. 1970

Sikorsky S55 Heli-Camper.
The Flying Winnebago

Finish the day's work, apply theatrical disguise, and a logbook under another name. Head to the warmer clime for an overnight.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #60
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Already done. 1970

Sikorsky S55 Heli-Camper.

Finish the day's work, apply theatrical disguise, and a logbook under another name. Head to the warmer clime for an overnight.
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-55-22.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	295341 But can it sling a Smart car?