Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2018, 12:57 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Not "night" but Flight!

GOOD LUCK ON YOURS ALSO!
Turk, Just watched Bruce’s video, he did an awesome job with that. The new control system seems like a very nice upgrade. .... Oh, by the way, we ordered “duplicate” Classics 30s, right down to the interior colors, LOL.
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
Turk, Just watched Bruce’s video, he did an awesome job with that. The new control system seems like a very nice upgrade. .... Oh, by the way, we ordered “duplicate” Classics 30s, right down to the interior colors, LOL.
Three drawers no oven?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We made it to Byron Georga and are staying at a best western. Traveling with a 70 lb. Golden Doodle has been a challenge with getting hotels. We've not done this before. Most hotels are "pet-friendly" but they tack on a charge of $30-75!

This hotel was hard to find but had a pet fee of only $15. A lot of hotels will say "small dogs only".

Glad I will be in an Airstream soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maddie-.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	324027  

Tom & Doty
Old 10-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #44
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Following closely. Wishing the very best for your new AS. I’m pretty confident that the Alde issues have been worked out awhile ago but just to make sure turn the AC super cold, as long as it’s not out in our beautiful Florida sun you should be able to get it cold enough to make sure the heating part is working. With the new 3020 unit you should have enough hot water for both of you to take real, normal showers. Do not settle for “navy” showers. I know you are familiar with the Adle thread so if you have any issues this winter it’s probably posted somewhere in there.
I know this is not your first AS but hopefully it will be your last and as you know these TT can have a hiccup or two out of the gate but as Uncle Bob said go out and enjoy it, you have 3 years of full coverage. You know where the factory is if you need it.
AS and I got off to a rough start but at just under 2 years I can’t imagine owning any other RV. Even on the bad days it is infinitely better than any other TT, fifth wheel, or van.
I’m looking forward to hearing all about your new adventure and sending big hugs to that adorable fur baby of yours.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #45
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I was reading over your check list and noticed one thing, the brochure states that the Adle heats the shower floor. From personal experience and from talking to many other Classic owners with the Alde I would be very surprised if you actually had heated shower floor. To me it’s not a big deal but I wanted to let you know so you won’t be disappointed. It is possible they there have been changes since 2017 so maybe you will have a warm floor but...

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Wow! We are exhausted! It is Thursday and my wife and I have been working to load our Classic now 3 days. We are almost completed. I will be installing the propride hitch today. We pulled the trailer from the dealership to the campground (2 Miles) with just a ball hitch. Took it slow and had very little problems.

Sorry for not posting more, but I will do a complete writeup very soon. So much to do to get everything set up. We had some Alde issues and some smart modem issues. They are not broken, just misinformation from the dealer. My front door is hard to close and the dealer's serviceman insists it is the nature of an airstream and needs to be that way to stop leaks at the top. I'll let JC fix it later. They know exactly what to do.

The trailer is gorgeous! Picts to follow with some of the things we've added to organize it. I've had very little time to make videos and pictures, but have a few and will take a lot more now that we can actually move in the trailer!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Florida sign.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	324393  

Tom & Doty
Old 10-04-2018, 12:19 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Bruce my salesman offered to let me use his truck to get the Classic to the campground. Mine still had the Uhaul hooked to it. The dealership was closing and we needed to get out by 6:00 pm. They lock the gates and let the dogs out.

Chevy 250 pulled it fine but as a gasser, it did rev pretty high to keep it going.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Maddie-4515.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	324394  

Tom & Doty
Old 10-05-2018, 07:07 AM   #48
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you grew up "way back then..." ... err .. the RPM's on a modern engine are a bit of a surprise. Things have changed a lot since my 1964 Chevy rolled off the production line.

Glad you *finally* have your new toy !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:21 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I spent 5 1/2 hours installing the Propride hitch the other day. Long process. Had to drill a couple holes in the frame to allow the U brackets for the rear supports to fit. No propane bottle tray on a classic. It has a welded frame that holds the bottles and of course was in the way. All went well just pretty hot in the sun down here.

Alde system is running well. I let a little water out through the safety valve to give it the airspace it needs and will be bleeding the system maybe today. Lots of hot water without adjusting the temperature black knob on the unit. Gets hot fast under propane boost!

Today I will install the easy start in the front air conditioner. Why the front? The front air conditioner can really pump air to the rear of the coach well. The rear AC pretty much keeps it's air to the back making it very cold while the front gets warm. Better balance.

I just read up on how to discharge the capacitors on the AC. Don't want any surprised. Shore power will be disconnected for this. Now to figure out how to get up on the roof. I have a collapsible ladder. I need to protect the sides and top from me making a misstep!

Tom & Doty
Old 10-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Flight of the AirDreamers / Preflight checklist

Pool noodles are one answer. Slit and fitted onto the vertical part of the ladder.
Pick a bright color and you can also use them on the edges of an open window as a warning/pad to prevent hitting your head on a hard to see edge of the glass.
Multitasking item...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #51
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

While you are up on the roof enjoying a nice sunny day take a bunch of pictures. At some point down the road, you are going to ask yourself - can I fit this on the roof? Inevitably it will be pouring down rain when that thought pops up ....

Bob
Old 10-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

While you are up on the roof enjoying a nice sunny day take a bunch of pictures. At some point down the road, you are going to ask yourself - can I fit this on the roof? Inevitably it will be pouring down rain when that thought pops up ....

Bob
I have one of those telescopic ladders and I learned (after the many times up and down it) how to do it properly. Very comfortable with getting up there now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	up on the roof web.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	506.4 KB
ID:	324677  

Tom & Doty
Old 10-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
My wife and I are pretty exhausted with a week of setting up the trailer. Doty looked at me yesterday and said, “When are we going to have some fun?”

It’s not that we didn’t know how hard it is to outfit a new trailer, it just takes a long time to get things organized right out of the gate so we don’t have to drag it out for months. My wife has lined the shelves and found places for all our stuff in an organized way. I concentrated on organizing the five outside compartments and finding the right places for tools, grilling supplies, tents, rope, hoses, hitch parts and tools, water filter, water softener, and just loads of containers of screws and bolts and cleaners and waxes and all the things to take care of the outside of the trailer.

Tomorrow I will be programming the tire pressure sensors, torquing the lug nuts, adjusting tire pressure, and testing all the windows.

We are about finished. The tropical storm in the gulf will be delaying our departure till Wednesday so we will finally have time to do some exploring in the area.

Our salesman Bruce Miller has been incredible. A few nights ago, after a very long day of installing the ProPride hitch and unboxing another 6 boxes of interior goods, he saw that we were exhausted. He and his wife cooked us an incredible filet dinner that included a homemade apple pie. Believe me, when I say, that really made our day!

We enjoy the friendship and caring they have shown with us. Bruce had a day off on Tuesday and he spends the morning helping me work on the Classic and answering calls from customers what seemed like every 15 minutes. He ended up going to work after setting up 2 appointments with customers that wanted to see an Airstream. Bruce really enjoys his work. His wife is the main receptionist for the Airstream dealership. They make a great pair.

I will be setting up my good camera and will begin to take some pictures of our rig. Look for them in the next few days.

Overall, we are very happy with the experience so far. The trailer is of very high quality and everything is working well. The new smart system takes a little getting used to, but the control you have over everything is wonderful. You can turn on or off anything in the trailer. Dim lights and control front and back ACs. The Internet app works very well and will be getting better with new features as time goes by.

The interior of the trailer is comfortable and just plain “classy”! We viewed some of the new models including the very European Globetrotter. The Globetrotter is modern, sleek and polished. It is a showpiece of design. Is it very comfortable? No. Chair backs are thin and the cushions are hard. The classic? It feels like home. Roomy and comfortable with a well thought out layout tested over time. Plenty of storage and great real wood finishes. It’s, well, comfortable.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-07-2018, 09:56 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Turk, next March I'll be going through what you're going through, but this and other threads have given me some real clear insight into what's ahead. I don't know that I'll get it all dialed in before hitting the road (lining the shelves sounds like a great thing to do on a slow campsite day) but it was one of many things that hadn't yet crossed my mind--just added it to the list.

Glad you like the Classic 30'. I have a Globetrotter on order and, for what it's worth, found the density of the seat cushions and the firmness of the seat backs perfect for my bad back. I didn't sit in a Classic but both my wife and I typically prefer a dense, supportive foam to a softer la-z-boy like cushion. But as with all of these trailers, what you get from Airstream is just a starting point. I do love the 30' layout, but we decided it was too much trailer for us. Maybe after a few years of experience it won't be.

Your sales (and post-sale) experience sounds about as perfect as it gets.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quiet time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BW night.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	324686  

Tom & Doty
Old 10-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #56
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You have some extra time (thanks to the storm ...). Take a day off !!!

Bob
Old 10-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

You have some extra time (thanks to the storm ...). Take a day off !!!

Bob
We were going to leave on Monday, changed that to tuesday and now we will head north on Wednesday. Not too far up and maybe just a boondock stop at Walmart or Cabelas.

Just added my Tire monitors and programmed the computer with the limits. I also topped up the tire pressures although the AS dealer had them pretty close to where I wanted them (76 lbs). I will torque the lugs tomorrow.

We are sitting back for the rest of the day and making a meal. Will have a few well deserved cold ones as we listen to the rain on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	meal-.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	324739  

Tom & Doty
Old 10-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #58
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We spent a lot of time early getting everything in the "right" place. That lasted for *maybe* two weeks. The next pass (and the ones after that) lasted for a bit longer. I'm *sure* I have it right now ....

Bob
Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
We were going to leave on Monday, changed that to tuesday and now we will head north on Wednesday. Not too far up and maybe just a boondock stop at Walmart or Cabelas.

Just added my Tire monitors and programmed the computer with the limits. I also topped up the tire pressures although the AS dealer had them pretty close to where I wanted them (76 lbs). I will torque the lugs tomorrow.

We are sitting back for the rest of the day and making a meal. Will have a few well deserved cold ones as we listen to the rain on the roof.
Sounds like you have the commissioning process well under way! Seems like this process has gone very well! Hoping to get a confirmed build date this week on ours. Following your process closely. Enjoy!
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We finally got clearance for a flight to Gainesville Florida. We will be leaving for our first real pull with the Ford F250 diesel.

Everything is stowed and ready for liftoff.

We had a very good experience overall with our dealer and certainly our salesman Bruce Miller. We had dinner tonight with Bruce, his wife Milinda and another couple who just picked up their 25' serenity. Jim and mim.

Had a few beers and sad goodbyes.

We have a short flight to North Port to visit my wife's brother and then it's off to Gainesville. We are concerned that there is little fuel to cross the panhandle of Florida, so we will pick up a few 5-gallon diesel containers to add to the 28 gallon Ford tank. Our flight path takes us directly thru the path of the huricane. We will take some picture as we pass.

Tom & Doty