Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Meth lab? LOL. I guess some of you have never head of "Occam's Razor".
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Ha, use OR in virtually every problem we encounter.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:03 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
Smells?

My 2 cents. The new Airstreams are one a few "Green" RV's manufactured, so chemical off-gassing would not be a likely cause. Can I just assume that others have experienced the same smell, and this smell was not present when you did a walk through, and purchased.

There are companies that specialize in finding the source, but I'd guess animal over Meth. Animal's can smell for a while, Meth labs typically do not leave a lingering small, but leave other telltale signs.

Some info on your theory, (hope it's wrong)

http://www.methinyourhouse.com/recog...meth-labs.html

Good luck, and hope it all works out well for you.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:43 AM   #24
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Well dang! Hate it when the actual facts cloud my conspiracy theory. Drama is much more fun as long as it isn't my Airstream or my money. : )
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Your local law enforcement officials will tell you very quickly if it has been used for meth. Be aware that ozone causes deterioration to rubber and some plastics (esp upholstery) ... it smells nice, but the degradation often does not sow for several years. Ozone is known as an oxidizer.
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #26

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Amarillo , Texas
Smell

Try running water thru you're lines and holding tanks. we had one that was winterized and the smell was harsh.
Doodad911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Sulphur , Oklahoma
Did you ever find out what the smell was?
Dennisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
Wood oil smell

We picked up our new 2016 within 24 hours of delivery from the factory. I noticed a strong smell immediately throughout the trailer and put it down to that "new car" smell. Later when affixing adhesive things to the cabinetry I found I had to use alcohol wipes to remove the oil on the wood.
I'm betting the oil finish is the culprit. We've since gone cross-country and after a year of ownership are no longer treated with that "new car" fragrance whenever entering the trailer. I kind of miss the smell . . .
Hope that this is the source of your problem and that it will disappear likewise.
Btw, love our 30' Classic. It serves as a guest house in our side yard when we're not traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1093.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	281618  
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Glen Allen , Virginia
We keep keep our roof vent open which helps the venting of the various chemicals as well keep moisture down in the trailer. I've down this on all of our various trailers and motorhomes and it appears to work. You have to have to vent covers installed in order to keep the vents open.
Jtermini30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffgod1000 View Post
We bought a used Classic and it has an odd smell throughout the trailer.

We tried airing it out for two months and it still stinks. We tried boiling vinegar with the a/c running and the smell came back.

Does anyone else have a stinking 2017 Classic?
Wondering if you figured out the smell?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cape Coral , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to riffgod1000
Ok, now that the meth lab horse is beat to death, let's not beat anymore.

I just made that comment because I was mad at myself for buying a used AS instead of a new one!

The dealer was not truthful as to the history of the coach. He told the owner was a dr. That used it two times.

There ware dents in the fridge door, holes drilled in the wall, scratches on the cabinets and counter tops, front door bottom screen had a big hole in it, windows won't stay open and that god awful smell we couldn't get rid of.

That's why I said either the dr. Was a slob and didn't care about this beautiful new AS or she had kids who had a party in it and messed it up.

It's my fault I bought a used one!
At the walk thru the dealer said he would make things right, so I made the purchase.

Most of the smell is gone thanks to the wife finding Oder absorbing balls in a bag you can hang around the coach.

Please no more comments about it being a drug lab.

Thank you for everyone's concern and advice!
riffgod1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:14 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffgod1000 View Post
Ok, now that the meth lab horse is beat to death, let's not beat anymore.

I just made that comment because I was mad at myself for buying a used AS instead of a new one!

The dealer was not truthful as to the history of the coach. He told the owner was a dr. That used it two times.

There ware dents in the fridge door, holes drilled in the wall, scratches on the cabinets and counter tops, front door bottom screen had a big hole in it, windows won't stay open and that god awful smell we couldn't get rid of.

That's why I said either the dr. Was a slob and didn't care about this beautiful new AS or she had kids who had a party in it and messed it up.

It's my fault I bought a used one!
At the walk thru the dealer said he would make things right, so I made the purchase.

Most of the smell is gone thanks to the wife finding Oder absorbing balls in a bag you can hang around the coach.

Please no more comments about it being a drug lab.

Thank you for everyone's concern and advice!

For what it's worth, many 2017 Classic owners had or have dents in both refrigerator doors. It's a lousy design. If the doors are allowed to swing open too far they hit the handles on the pantry. Our dealer replaced the doors under warranty. Took them over 3 months to get it done but they finally took care of it. I changed the handles out to push button ones so they are flush when not in use. Otherwise, it has the potential to happen again.
Sorry for all your other issues. Hope the dealer comes through for you.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
Warranty replacement of dented fridge door & push button pantry handle replacements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
For what it's worth, many 2017 Classic owners had or have dents in both refrigerator doors. It's a lousy design. If the doors are allowed to swing open too far they hit the handles on the pantry. Our dealer replaced the doors under warranty. Took them over 3 months to get it done but they finally took care of it. I changed the handles out to push button ones so they are flush when not in use. Otherwise, it has the potential to happen again.
Sorry for all your other issues. Hope the dealer comes through for you.
Greatly inspired to hear that your dealer took care of the dent problem. Is there a service bulletin that Airstream issued that I could refer to when talking to my dealer (ToscanoRV)? Also, did the dealer install the push button pantry handle replacements or did you obtain them directly from Airstream? If the latter, what was the part number?

Thanks!
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
No service bulletin. The remaining lower hole looks better now. Almost invisible after a little more tweaking. I just haven't taken another picture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0100.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	281940Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	281941