Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Classifieds
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Lima , NY
1978 Airstream Excella 500 31 - New York

Title: 1978 Airstream Excella 500 31 - New York
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

Here is a very nice 1978 Airstream Excella 500 31’ trailer originally from TN. I absolutely love these older AS and believe the ones from the 70’s are the best ones because of the extensive use of tambour doors throughout, with their simple roll up design and lightweight aluminum enclosures…this one has 20! The one under the sink is missing and the one that covers the living room cabinet/stereo is not correct, but all the others function correctly and the floor level ones all have their original slide out plastic storage bins, all in excellent condition. This one has a feature I have never seen on another AS of this vintage…it has double sliding glass doors above the fridge area and there is backlighting inside, reminiscent of the newer AS. One side even has round inserts I am guessing are for liquor bottles, so it is like a liquor cabinet!

We made some updates to this, but wanted to keep most of the original features since AS was ahead of their time in design and function. We took day and night time pics of the interior so you can get a good feel of how it looks and feels.

New/Pros:

-Front jackknife sofa (folds down in to a bed) and side fillers were professionally re-upholstered with marine grade off-white vinyl. Original upholstery is included if wanted.

-Flooring was replaced with luxury vinyl planks. About 18” of the subfloor in the rear was replaced and sealed.

-Refrigerator is brand new (electric only)

-New Furrion 3 burner stove/oven range

-Water system functions correctly (currently winterized) from holding tank. City water supply not tested.

-All electrical items function, even the 8 track player works! All bulbs in the ceiling lights were replaced. Bathroom exhaust fan does not work.

-Roof AC and heat pump combo function correctly.

-All 4 corner stabilizers function.

-All keys are there for door, hatches and battery boxes.

-All roll up shades are new

-Cabinet door latches are new

-Electric jack works

-Running lights/taillights/turn signals all work correctly and both connection plugs were replaced with NOS exact replacement Signal-stat parts.

-Body is excellent for the year with just a few minor dings here and there

-Belly pan is all there

Cons:

-Tires are older and have some weather checking, but was towed 1,000 miles with no issues.

-Main awning was removed at some point, but aluminum cover is still there.

-Side awning has lost its tension and needs to be manually rolled back up and some of the seams are coming undone.

-entry steps need some work to engage correctly.

-Gray and black water tank valves are stuck open

-Some of the double pane windows have some moisture and cloudiness

-No LP tanks are included

-Hot water tank untested, but is a newer unit (2001) and most likely works

-Bedding and accent pillows not included, but if it is really desired, we can work something out.

This 41 years old, so it is not perfect and there are always lots of little things that may need attention, but that is AS life! I tried to think of everything but may have missed some details. Please ask any questions you may have or LMK any specific pictures you may want to see and I will reply right away. Sold as is/where is, but I can help arrange shipping if needed. Clear TN title in hand. Thank you for looking!
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...31-new-york-2/
fourjudge is offline   Reply With Quote