Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Classifieds
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
brooklyn , New York
1976 Airstream Argosy 28 - New York

Title: 1976 Airstream Argosy 28 - New York
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

1976 Airstream, Argosy 28ft in good condition. I purchased it from a couple who owned it for 30 years and took great care of it. I have made significant improvements and upgrades ($10,000+ !!). It could use some more upgrades (I’ll mention below) but is perfectly cozy as-is. It has “good bones” in case you’re interested in doing a full or partial renovation. We’ve had many amazing weekends in “The Marlin”(It has a marlin stencil on the side, we don’t know the story behind it). Selling it after we decided to get a smaller but newer one due to vehicle towing specs. Sad to see it go but someone will sure enjoy it.

-Mid-bath w/shower sink and toilet

-Queen bed in rear
-Side Skylights (Original Factory Upgrade)

-FM/AM Radio with Speakers in front living area and back bedroom
-Chain-type anti-sway / weight distribution hitch (REESE)
-Clear title

UPGRADES (2018)

-Brand New Carlysle E Rated Tires "Radial Trail HD” E-rated 10-ply tires. ST225/75R15, MFG item #6H04621 (Intensely researched. These seem to be the best rated on the forums after years of tire surveys by Airstream owners).

UPGRADES (completed upon purchase in 2012. Has only been towed 25 miles since this service in 2012 and many upgrades in 2013!!)
-New brakes

-New 9000 BTU AC/Heater Installed in roof. Hardly been used.

-85 watt solar panel with Morningstar charge controller

-3 group 27 AGM Batteries (have been maintained continuously)

-2000 Watt Samlex Pure Sine Inverter (safe for laptops)

-Inverter is wired to the AC outlets so they can run off the batteries. Most RVs outlets only work when you are plugged into shore power.

-Volt meter installed in bedroom wall

-LED lights replaced throughout interior (soft white, they are not cold like most LEDs)
 -2 Fantastic Fans installed in roof (blow in or out)
-Marmoleum flooring installed.

-Rear bedroom Converted from two Twin beds to one Queen bed.
-Original bed frame was not altered in case you wish to convert it back.
-There is now a HUGE amount of storage below the bed. Also the headboard folds forward for quick storage at night.

-Original console between the two original beds was saved in case you want to convert it back to original.
-Dixie Foam (brand) memory-foam Queen mattress (we loved it at home so wanted the same one in the Airstream)

-Dixie Foam (brand) memory-foam front bed/living area cushions with new upholstry
 -New custom made Curtains in front and back windows.

-Window latch Bug screens re-placed

-Bathroom wallpaper installed

UPGRADES (By Previous Owner, exact date not known but I have all receipts manuals etc)
 -New Thetford Toilet

-New SureFlow Water Pump
 -Rear bike rack installed (Improvised design by previous owner, could be easily removed if you don’t like it)

SUGGESTED UPGRADES

-Stove works but its old and rusty, I didn’t trust it so I just always used a camp stove
 -Fridge does not work, we used a separate cooler.

-Heater should be replaced. Previous owner said he didn’t trust it, so I never used it. Just to mention it, the hot water heater does work, just needs to be ignited manually. I think newer ones ignite automatically. Not a big deal.

-This thing would look amazing with a new paint job. Not necessary though.

-Some of the plywood in the front left and front right is going bad due to a recent leak (which has been repaired). I’d suggest replacing some of the plywood under the couch / water tank).

MANY MANY more photos available here:

RECENT EXTERIOR
https://www.interdubs.com/r/robotrep...&an=jhPJdn

RECENT INTERIOR
https://www.interdubs.com/r/robotrep...&an=Rde66K

PRE-RENOVATION
(To be clear, these photos were taken in 2013 BEFORE I did my renovations).
https://www.interdubs.com/r/robotrep...&an=LDGJsN

Since towing specs have been the major decision factor for several potential buyers so far I am listing them here. Pay attention to the LOADED weights as these will be a more accurate representation of real-world use.:

BASIC UNIT (NO OPTIONS) FROM MANUAL

Total weight: 4375 lb.

Hitch weight: 405 lb.
(G.V.W.R.)
Gross Vehicle Weight: 6200 lb.
 (this is the max the vehicle can weight when being towed)
(G.A.W.R.) Gross Axle Weight: 5600 lb

LOADED W/OPTIONS, WATER & PROPANE (FROM MANUAL CHART, assuming black & grey holding tanks are nearly empty. This is the "real world" weight you will need to consider when taking the RV out fully loaded).
Total weight: 4951 lb
Hitch (tongue) weight: 714 lb
Axle weight: 4295 lb
Max personal cargo: 1249 lb

Max personal cargo on tongue: 6 lb
Max personal cargo on axle system: 979 lb

Another common concern is the condition of the wheel bearings. Receipts from the previous owner show a solid maintenance schedule. Repacked in 2007, 2003, 2000, 1996, 1992 and one more undated receipt that looks like its from the 90s. They stopped using it as much before selling it to me in 2012 and I’ve only towed it 25 miles since purchasing it.

I have towed it recently, and it tows beautifully. Brakes are basically brand new (installed in 2012 but only driven 25 miles) and again, the tires are brand new (Carlisle E rated). All lights are working.
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...28-new-york-2/
aaronalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 04:41 PM   #2

Currently Looking...
brooklyn , New York
Sold
aaronalden is offline   Reply With Quote