Old 07-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
There was a longish article in yesterday's New York Times about the issues some GLBT couples encounter when checking into hotels. It seems that the staffs (mostly) are trying to make sure a mistake wasn't made ... I think that if they were just trained to ask all guests some confirming question, like, "Let's see - that's two nights, king sized bed, checking out Tuesday morning?" - that would make sure EVERYONE got the right room!

As to Airstreams, there are just all sorts of Airstreamers, you know? I usually travel solo, and that fact alone seems to get me some inquisitive looks at commercial campgrounds (part of why I try to avoid em'). It seems that fun is supposed to occur only in group settings, and that a solo guy represents some form of evil (escaped convict? Al Qauida plotter? alimony runaway?) ... but usually if I give em' my best smile, they're o.k. Never been turned away. I think I've come close a couple of times when I just didn't feel like shaving for a couple of days, but that "clean-cut Airstream image" has won them over every time!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
They're really tippy. That's all I'm sayin'.
Why is making love in a canoe like American beer?
Both are close to water.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
There was a longish article in yesterday's New York Times about the issues some GLBT couples encounter when checking into hotels. It seems that the staffs (mostly) are trying to make sure a mistake wasn't made ... I think that if they were just trained to ask all guests some confirming question, like, "Let's see - that's two nights, king sized bed, checking out Tuesday morning?" - that would make sure EVERYONE got the right room!

As to Airstreams, there are just all sorts of Airstreamers, you know? I usually travel solo, and that fact alone seems to get me some inquisitive looks at commercial campgrounds (part of why I try to avoid em'). It seems that fun is supposed to occur only in group settings, and that a solo guy represents some form of evil (escaped convict? Al Qauida plotter? alimony runaway?) ... but usually if I give em' my best smile, they're o.k. Never been turned away. I think I've come close a couple of times when I just didn't feel like shaving for a couple of days, but that "clean-cut Airstream image" has won them over every time!
Thanks for sharing your experiences about travelling solo as a male.

Obviously, there is some consternation about solo travellers setting-up in the typical white-bread RV parks. Glad you can conquer them with your charm there, Airs!

Can any solo traveller share their experiences when camping in the Airstream-only parks?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
There was a longish article in yesterday's New York Times about the issues some GLBT couples encounter when checking into hotels. It seems that the staffs (mostly) are trying to make sure a mistake wasn't made ... I think that if they were just trained to ask all guests some confirming question, like, "Let's see - that's two nights, king sized bed, checking out Tuesday morning?" - that would make sure EVERYONE got the right room! ....
Along a similar theme ... I treated my dad to a retirement trip of 3-days fishing in Sarasota (Myakka). I rented a cabin that slept 4. During reservations I was asked how many would be staying.. I replied, "just two". When we arrived they gave us a bag of linens for the cabin bed(s). We were surprised to find only one set of sheets. Hahahahaha We looked at each other and said, "Well, we're from West Virginia" and had a good laugh. I guess "two" suggests a more *intimate* couple.

Laura
Old 07-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Once you stop paddling . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
. . . Now.....I've always wondered about making love in a canoe.....
Isn't that called canoodling?
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #34
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

But you always need a....
Attached Images

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
But you always need a....
Wow! Those paddles are all the same length too!

But with my luck, I'll probably end up being up the creek without a paddle.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I did not say anything is wrong with being a WASP. Just an observation that the majority of RVers seem to fit that particular demographic.
I thought WASP's hung out at country clubs.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
I thought WASP's hung out at country clubs.
I dunno. Seems an awful lot of them come out just as I'm unpacking the picnic. Damn stingers!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Isn't that called canoodling?
I think I had that at the Italian restaurant last night. La, la, la, la....that's amore!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Along a similar theme ... I treated my dad to a retirement trip of 3-days fishing in Sarasota (Myakka). I rented a cabin that slept 4. During reservations I was asked how many would be staying.. I replied, "just two". When we arrived they gave us a bag of linens for the cabin bed(s). We were surprised to find only one set of sheets. Hahahahaha We looked at each other and said, "Well, we're from West Virginia" and had a good laugh. I guess "two" suggests a more *intimate* couple.

Laura

Laura, great story
Old 07-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Back in 1997 I spent a couple of months cycling down the Pacific Coast Highway to Los Angeles. I was traveling during February and March (it was a really mild winter) and the only other people in the State parks were retired folk in their big motor homes and the camp hosts. Sometimes it was just me and the camp hosts. The camp hosts were always really kind, but the folks that were there in their RV's always looked at me like I had two heads. On occasion, I met another cyclist or hiker and we'd always spend some time swapping stories about our travels. My bike and trailer had rainbow stickers on them, so my orientation was there for all to see. Never had any issues. Some of the parks were maintained by work crews from the local penitentiaries. Those guys were always polite and really talkative. They were really curious to find out where I was from and where I'd gone on my travels. Good times. Once I get my Trade Wind on the road, It'll just be me and my two dogs. I enjoy doing things solo and have been doing it so long, I'm not sure I'd know what to do with myself if I were traveling with another person.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
As a (straight) solo camper for four years before I met my now-wife, I never once encountered any problem. The only time it ever came up was when I was checking in at Cherry Hill Park near DC, and they said, "Just you and your wife?" "Just me, actually." Of course I still got charged the two-adult rate.

People working and staying in campgrounds were - and still are - always friendly to me. I've never had a problem with people coming by and striking up a conversation, Airstreamers and SOB owners alike. This is one of the things I love about camping.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
No Room at the Inn?

Greetings AirsDream!

Quote:
To get an even wider variety of stares/reactions, try pulling into a commercial campground (or just about any campground for that matter) towing a 40+ year-old Vintage Airstream with a baby blue 30+ year-old Cadillac Eldorado Convertible. The inquisitive looks were rampant when traveling near high passes in the Rocky Mountains with the Vintage combination. Encountered more than a few shocked expressions from people in gas stations who couldn't believe that my Cadillac wasn't significantly modified from stock.

I am just starting to get accustomed to not being a Free Wheeler as I found my soulmate last October. Every now and again, I find myself answering one when the desk-clerk at the campground asks me about the number of adults in the coach - - - habits of a lifetime take some time to break, I guess . . . .

Kevin

Cadillac with '64 Airstream Overlander:

Cadillac with '78 Argosy Minuet (Yellowstone National Park)

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote