Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
When we started RVing (pre-Airstream) we were a bit concerned about how we'd be "received" in RV parks and campgrounds and the RV culture in general. Turns out, it has never been an issue. We have have nice experiences virtually everywhere we've been, even years later. In fact, we've met some really nice people (gay and straight) in campgrounds and RV parks and no one has been uptight or uneasy with us. I think lots of it has to do with how comfortbale you are with yourself. If you are comfortable in your own skin, most people will be comfortable with you. I have heard that some women traveling alone have not felt well-received here and there, which I don't get at all. I think it's great when a lady does what she enjoys on her own. Interestingly, we have me a few solo women on the road who are in relationship,s but they prefer to camp and travel alone sometimes. More power to them!
The woman I spoke to was in her 20's and I wasn't going to say this, but now I will. She said the "old biddies" at the RV parks thought she was after their husbands.

I'm not 20, but I'm a long ways from being an "old biddie" and I can tell you, I'm not after anyone's husband. Too bad that green-eyes monster called jealousy has to rear its ugly head amidst the recreating.

Maybe I should put a sign outside the AS with the flamingos...."Married? Good for you! I'm not interested. You can have him!"
Old 07-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
The woman I spoke to was in her 20's and I wasn't going to say this, but now I will. She said the "old biddies" at the RV parks thought she was after their husbands.

I'm not 20, but I'm a long ways from being an "old biddie" and I can tell you, I'm not after anyone's husband. Too bad that green-eyes monster called jealousy has to rear its ugly head amidst the recreating.

Maybe I should put a sign outside the AS with the flamingos...."Married? Good for you! I'm not interested. You can have him!"
Well there's a standard human psychology issue for you. The "old biddies" are afraid their HUSBANDS would at least want to be after your acquaintance, but they can't get away with being snippy to their husbands unless they catch them at it so they take it out on someone they don't know.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Well there's a standard human psychology issue for you. The "old biddies" are afraid their HUSBANDS would at least want to be after your acquaintance, but they can't get away with being snippy to their husbands unless they catch them at it so they take it out on someone they don't know.
Me thinks that snippiness happens w/o the proximity of a younger female travelling alone.

Now I know why some RV parks have a sign by the exit that reads "Did you forget your spouse?" Must be from experience, ie some of those snipping "old biddies" have been left holding the water hose.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
Quote:
Secondly, I have not been privy to a lot of RV parks, but they seem to be
WASP bastions - the typical guests are older, conservative, and straight.
FAN
That's because the young, liberal crowd prefers to stay in hotels and the latest hotspots.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Too funny that this is what prompted (at least a portion) of your post.... As I was reading through the comments I was thinking of this situation exactly! In all honesty though, I don't know if this has actually ever happened to me. But I always wonder if someone might misunderstand my intentions - just a natural concern that I developed early in my career after several experiences with co-workers' young, attractive brides. Geeze, some really sported a Jelly-Face and made after work socials tough.

I often camp with my girl friends and their children. Their husbands seldom join - once in about 20 trips. There have been times when other campers have inferred that we are gay and we just laugh about it. It's never bothered me in the least .... well, not until the time that I met the (unattached) male owner of the canoe outpost. I kinda wanted him to know I was not *spoken for* by my camping partners!!!

I too chose to move from a tent to a trailer to better accommodate my pups. Now I see there are many more advantages.

Live and let live! Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
That's because the young, liberal crowd prefers to stay in hotels and the latest hotspots.
Either that, or they tend to whoop it up with a tent in a provincial camground.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Too funny that this is what prompted (at least a portion) of your post.... As I was reading through the comments I was thinking of this situation exactly! In all honesty though, I don't know if this has actually ever happened to me. But I always wonder if someone might misunderstand my intentions - just a natural concern that I developed early in my career after several experiences with co-workers' young, attractive brides. Geeze, some really sported a Jelly-Face and made after work socials tough.

I often camp with my girl friends and their children. Their husbands seldom join - once in about 20 trips. There have been times when other campers have inferred that we are gay and we just laugh about it. It's never bothered me in the least .... well, not until the time that I met the (unattached) male owner of the canoe outpost. I kinda wanted him to know I was not *spoken for* by my camping partners!!!

I too chose to move from a tent to a trailer to better accommodate my pups. Now I see there are many more advantages.

Live and let live! Laura
The funny thing is that my Airstream salesman inferred the same thing.
He must have assumed I was a lesbian because he said "Airstreams are popular with gays and lesbians." I don't know why he felt a need to point that out. Regardless, it didn't affect my decision either way.

I agree - live and let live. And assumptions are often far from the truth.

Glad you let it be known to that canoe outpost owner that were not spoken for. It's a lot easier to paddle downstream when making those kinds of moves.

Now.....I've always wondered about making love in a canoe.....
Old 07-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Now.....I've always wondered about making love in a canoe.....
They're really tippy. That's all I'm sayin'.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
There was a longish article in yesterday's New York Times about the issues some GLBT couples encounter when checking into hotels. It seems that the staffs (mostly) are trying to make sure a mistake wasn't made ... I think that if they were just trained to ask all guests some confirming question, like, "Let's see - that's two nights, king sized bed, checking out Tuesday morning?" - that would make sure EVERYONE got the right room!

As to Airstreams, there are just all sorts of Airstreamers, you know? I usually travel solo, and that fact alone seems to get me some inquisitive looks at commercial campgrounds (part of why I try to avoid em'). It seems that fun is supposed to occur only in group settings, and that a solo guy represents some form of evil (escaped convict? Al Qauida plotter? alimony runaway?) ... but usually if I give em' my best smile, they're o.k. Never been turned away. I think I've come close a couple of times when I just didn't feel like shaving for a couple of days, but that "clean-cut Airstream image" has won them over every time!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
They're really tippy. That's all I'm sayin'.
Why is making love in a canoe like American beer?
Both are close to water.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
There was a longish article in yesterday's New York Times about the issues some GLBT couples encounter when checking into hotels. It seems that the staffs (mostly) are trying to make sure a mistake wasn't made ... I think that if they were just trained to ask all guests some confirming question, like, "Let's see - that's two nights, king sized bed, checking out Tuesday morning?" - that would make sure EVERYONE got the right room!

As to Airstreams, there are just all sorts of Airstreamers, you know? I usually travel solo, and that fact alone seems to get me some inquisitive looks at commercial campgrounds (part of why I try to avoid em'). It seems that fun is supposed to occur only in group settings, and that a solo guy represents some form of evil (escaped convict? Al Qauida plotter? alimony runaway?) ... but usually if I give em' my best smile, they're o.k. Never been turned away. I think I've come close a couple of times when I just didn't feel like shaving for a couple of days, but that "clean-cut Airstream image" has won them over every time!
Thanks for sharing your experiences about travelling solo as a male.

Obviously, there is some consternation about solo travellers setting-up in the typical white-bread RV parks. Glad you can conquer them with your charm there, Airs!

Can any solo traveller share their experiences when camping in the Airstream-only parks?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
There was a longish article in yesterday's New York Times about the issues some GLBT couples encounter when checking into hotels. It seems that the staffs (mostly) are trying to make sure a mistake wasn't made ... I think that if they were just trained to ask all guests some confirming question, like, "Let's see - that's two nights, king sized bed, checking out Tuesday morning?" - that would make sure EVERYONE got the right room! ....
Along a similar theme ... I treated my dad to a retirement trip of 3-days fishing in Sarasota (Myakka). I rented a cabin that slept 4. During reservations I was asked how many would be staying.. I replied, "just two". When we arrived they gave us a bag of linens for the cabin bed(s). We were surprised to find only one set of sheets. Hahahahaha We looked at each other and said, "Well, we're from West Virginia" and had a good laugh. I guess "two" suggests a more *intimate* couple.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Once you stop paddling . . .

Quote:
. . . Now.....I've always wondered about making love in a canoe.....
Isn't that called canoodling?
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

But you always need a....
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
But you always need a....
Wow! Those paddles are all the same length too!

But with my luck, I'll probably end up being up the creek without a paddle.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
I did not say anything is wrong with being a WASP. Just an observation that the majority of RVers seem to fit that particular demographic.
I thought WASP's hung out at country clubs.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
I thought WASP's hung out at country clubs.
I dunno. Seems an awful lot of them come out just as I'm unpacking the picnic. Damn stingers!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Isn't that called canoodling?
I think I had that at the Italian restaurant last night. La, la, la, la....that's amore!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Along a similar theme ... I treated my dad to a retirement trip of 3-days fishing in Sarasota (Myakka). I rented a cabin that slept 4. During reservations I was asked how many would be staying.. I replied, "just two". When we arrived they gave us a bag of linens for the cabin bed(s). We were surprised to find only one set of sheets. Hahahahaha We looked at each other and said, "Well, we're from West Virginia" and had a good laugh. I guess "two" suggests a more *intimate* couple.

Laura

Laura, great story
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Back in 1997 I spent a couple of months cycling down the Pacific Coast Highway to Los Angeles. I was traveling during February and March (it was a really mild winter) and the only other people in the State parks were retired folk in their big motor homes and the camp hosts. Sometimes it was just me and the camp hosts. The camp hosts were always really kind, but the folks that were there in their RV's always looked at me like I had two heads. On occasion, I met another cyclist or hiker and we'd always spend some time swapping stories about our travels. My bike and trailer had rainbow stickers on them, so my orientation was there for all to see. Never had any issues. Some of the parks were maintained by work crews from the local penitentiaries. Those guys were always polite and really talkative. They were really curious to find out where I was from and where I'd gone on my travels. Good times. Once I get my Trade Wind on the road, It'll just be me and my two dogs. I enjoy doing things solo and have been doing it so long, I'm not sure I'd know what to do with myself if I were traveling with another person.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote