Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
TravelswithCharley

2017 22' Sport
Phoenix , Arizona
best way to add an Inverter in SPORT 22'

Hi Streamers. I am doing some research into being able to leave the sickening heat of Phoenix over the summer, and heading north to the high country and live/work from my Airstream for a week or two at a time.

I have 2 deep cell batteries and 200Watts of Carmanah solar, I feel confident that I can hang out in the woods for a week at a time if careful. But there's no inverter in my model Airstream (2017 SPORT 22'). So I can't run my computer when not hooked up to shore power, and my computer is critical to my work. I don't want to be in an RV park, nor do I want to pay the dealer $1200 to fit one. So can anyone help me figure out how to utilize one of the plug in inverters inside the trailer? I have my eye on a Carmanah GP-SW150-12 or larger model.

Thoughts/suggestions??

Mary
Marygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Do you have a cigarette lighter outlet in your AS?
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The existing 12V outlet in your Sport is unlikely to support an inverter unless your laptop/tablet/etc can run on less than 100W. In such case, there are simple 120V inverters that plug into 12V outlets that can provide up to 100watts and that is probably the simplest solution. These are often sold at WalMart or Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Power-...small+inverter
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #4
TravelswithCharley

2017 22' Sport
Phoenix , Arizona
Theres no 12V car socket in the AS that I can find....seriously?!

but I found this thread below, and I think there's a solution here....

In 2017 Sport you have two USB sockets. I changed one to a 12v car socket. You can find on Amazon 12v sockets, meters, and Anderson sockets. The sockets are used in Ham Radio a lot. Then I purchased a 200 watt inverter ( Harbour Freight for $19.95), for use to power TV on other side of bed. Plus, I use a sleep breathing machine.

But researched, you can with the 6 gauge factory installed wire from batt to power distribution unit, a Samlex 600 watt Sine wave inverter can be attached. The power unit is made by WFCO - they make a transfer box ( T-30 ). It goes directly into power unit, three pairs of wires; 1st goes to 110 input side, 2nd goes to shore power line, 3rd goes with a power plug into 110 v output of inverter. The 12 volt going to power unit "Y" positive to both power unit input and a lead to a fuse unit of 150 to 200 amps than to inverter. Do the same on negative "Y" to both units.

So wished Air Stream would use 4 or 2 gauge wire so you could safely go to a 1000 watt inverter.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:02 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
The existing 12V outlet in your Sport is unlikely to support an inverter unless your laptop/tablet/etc can run on less than 100W. In such case, there are simple 120V inverters that plug into 12V outlets that can provide up to 100watts and that is probably the simplest solution. These are often sold at WalMart or Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Power-...small+inverter
Agree in principle, but don't see any laptop running on just 100W, and you need a laptop to do any serious work. I'd get at least a 400W inverter which you can buy at Harbor Freight for $25. Also buy a 12V socket that you can plug the inverter into. Install the socket in a convenient location and wire it thru a fuse into the power panel. Much simpler and less expensive than wiring every 120V outlet into a permanent built-in inverter.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Mary, I think your plan to buy the GP-SW150-12 is a good one. It's a pure-sine inverter providing a cleaner signal compared to Harbor Freight inverters. Also, the 150 W size should be more than adequate for your laptop. If there's any doubt, check the power rating on your laptop power supply and confirm that the wattage is less than 150 W.

Also, the idea of a transfer switch is nice but probably forces it to be done by a professional unless you're a skilled amateur electrician. However, simply converting your dual USB socket back to a standard cigarette lighter socket is an easy task using basic tools. If you need any help just say so.

Once you have a cigarette lighter socket you'll then be able to plug in your inverter or even another dual USB adapter if needed.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
TravelswithCharley

2017 22' Sport
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
Mary, I think your plan to buy the GP-SW150-12 is a good one. It's a pure-sine inverter providing a cleaner signal compared to Harbor Freight inverters. Also, the 150 W size should be more than adequate for your laptop. If there's any doubt, check the power rating on your laptop power supply and confirm that the wattage is less than 150 W.

Also, the idea of a transfer switch is nice but probably forces it to be done by a professional unless you're a skilled amateur electrician. However, simply converting your dual USB socket back to a standard cigarette lighter socket is an easy task using basic tools. If you need any help just say so.

Once you have a cigarette lighter socket you'll then be able to plug in your inverter or even another dual USB adapter if needed.

I am totally aligned with this approach thanks for the input Alano. I have no idea how to do the exchange of USB to light socket, but I am intending to find someone who does, or I guess I could find a YouTUBE demo.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
Agree in principle, but don't see any laptop running on just 100W, and you need a laptop to do any serious work. I'd get at least a 400W inverter which you can buy at Harbor Freight for $25. Also buy a 12V socket that you can plug the inverter into. Install the socket in a convenient location and wire it thru a fuse into the power panel. Much simpler and less expensive than wiring every 120V outlet into a permanent built-in inverter.
Actually, most laptops run on less than 70 watts. Check the output label on your "brick" on the power-supply-cord. The HP I'm typing this on is listed at 65 watts.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Mary, there's a few ways you can do this. One is to buy this socket, cut off the terminals and using wire nuts, attach the two wires to the 12V wires feeding your existing USB socket.

Another approach is to buy this socket. You'll need to add push-on terminals, 16 AWG wire and a 15 A fuse - all stuff you can get from your local autoparts store.

If you unscrew the panel holding your USB sockets, take a look at how the wires connect to the USB adapter. You might find that it has push-on terminals just like the latter socket I suggested.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:35 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Actually, most laptops run on less than 70 watts. Check the output label on your "brick" on the power-supply-cord. The HP I'm typing this on is listed at 65 watts.
I stand corrected...should have looked at the "brick" first. My Toshiba also sez 65W. I bought a Bapdas 500W Power Inverter on Amazon last May for $30. It works well enough but I wouldn't push it past 250W continuous draw.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:51 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Palmyra , Virginia
Full computer or just a laptop? For a laptop I would look into getting an automotive charger and simply plug it into your 12v jack.
Scoutx is offline   Reply With Quote