Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A big difference in "normal load" between 23D and 23 FB is the location of the bed, which has the largest storage area.

Also when comparing actual tongue weight to published weight, a Hensley hitch accounts for an extra 250#. Our Andersen hitch is 50#.

So there are great variables between published weight and how each owner loads for any given trip, their hitch setup, and storage tank/propane loads. Best method for packing is to balance the load, with the heavy gear near or over the axles.

doug k

Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Jamul , California
Had my 2009 23D weighed a couple of weeks ago (on the Shurline scale). It was just under 800 lbs. with one of the propane tanks filled.

S

Old 06-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Wild,
My 201123FB tongue weight is an actual 785 lbs with propane and water tanks full, waste tanks empty and 'normal' camping load. Can't imagine where Airstream got the 467 lbs that they list for this unit. The good news is that my 08 Jeep GC Diesel tows her just fine with a 10K Equalizer. I'm also holding out for the new GC Diesel.
Hi JamuJoe,
I am assuming the 785# includes the weight distribution assembly's weight. Is that correct? Do you happen to know the weight of your WDH assembly? (I am interested in the tongue weight without WDH and with water/gas tanks full).
Best,
Old 06-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
rostam,
The only component of my Equalizer WDH on the tongue was the L brackets - probably 20 lbs. I used a set of digital racing scales. Water and propane tanks full. Our variable load forward of the front axle is simply clothing and bedding.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Where things are placed when built will change the tongue weight, sometimes by a lot. For example, moving the fridge two feet back, from above the center of the wheelwell to just behind the wheelwell, can change the tongue weight by over 100 pounds.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
We have a 2011 23fb. With empty tanks, 1 1/2 tanks of propane, and most of our gear the sherline scale reads 500 lbs. Pretty close to specs. However, we don't carry much gear and no water in order to keep tongue weight down. Someday I'll get a new TV and stop worrying about tw.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The published 833 pound tongue weight for a 25FB International Serenity was in reality 1,150 pounds when the trailer was picked up at the dealership. The dealer had added street side and rear ZipDee awnings,a 150 watt solar panel with controller and we had installed the Hensley Arrow hitch without the stinger.

So published weight may not even be close to the reality when loaded for a trip. Thus the need for a Shurline scale to verify the tongue weight before the trip to measure the trailer's tongue weight to ensure the tow vehicle's payload is not exceeded.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Another data point

A few, actually.

We bought a new 2013 25FB flying cloud in April. This trailer has no options (and it is the twin bed layout). The hitch is a Blue Ox, which only puts chain brackets on the trailer tongue--not much added weight there.

We went straight from the dealership to a nearby truck scale. The propane tanks were full. The water tanks were empty (the trailer was winterized). The total trailer weight was 5620 pounds vs. the spec of 5503. I didn't get the tongue weight this time but my other weights indicate it was above the 837 pound factory spec, but under 900 pounds.

Our second outing was a three day WBCCI rally. Someone brought a scale, and weighed our tongue at about 960. That was with the water heater full, a few gallons in the black tank, and the gray tank nearly full. We dumped the waste tanks while leaving, and hit another truck scale the next day. The tongue weight then was 900.

For longer trips, we expect to take more "stuff", and see the tongue weight hit 1000 pounds (without water in the waste tanks).

Oh, and our last travel trailer? Took it to the scales once, coming back from a week long trip, with no water on board. 160 pound tongue weight, 1560 total. No, not an Airstream!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
I wonder what my 34 foot panamerica would have for tongue weight with no load in back. My 3500 dodge rear spring height goes from 150mm to 100mm with no equilizer hitch and back to 110 with eq hitch. Pullls nice with 1500 pounds of bike and gear in back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	187982  
Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
The 23FB has a lighter hitch weight because the rear door location necessitates moving the axles forward slightly.

In general hitch weight is a good thing as long as you equalize it effectively. As you transfer weight to the front wheels of the tow vehicle some weight is transfered to the trailer wheels.

We do at times reduce hitch weight by relocating batteries, eliminating the spare tire and carrier (change to Michelins), this is not a common occurance but sometimes necessary. On even rarer occasions we reduce the size of the LP tanks which does actually create a handy storage area.

This picture shows where the weight distribution of a 23D with the above modifications.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weight transfer.png
Views:	137
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	187987  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Mr T. Thnxs for posting. That illustration really does show where the weight ends up once the WDH is connected and adjusted correctly.

The numbers on the pic are not that clear so I zoomed in.

Looks like 230lbs/ 290lbs/ 180lbs
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
rostam,
The only component of my Equalizer WDH on the tongue was the L brackets - probably 20 lbs. I used a set of digital racing scales. Water and propane tanks full. Our variable load forward of the front axle is simply clothing and bedding.
Thanks JamuJoe
Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
The 23FB has a lighter hitch weight because the rear door location necessitates moving the axles forward slightly.

In general hitch weight is a good thing as long as you equalize it effectively. As you transfer weight to the front wheels of the tow vehicle some weight is transfered to the trailer wheels.

We do at times reduce hitch weight by relocating batteries, eliminating the spare tire and carrier (change to Michelins), this is not a common occurance but sometimes necessary. On even rarer occasions we reduce the size of the LP tanks which does actually create a handy storage area.

This picture shows where the weight distribution of a 23D with the above modifications.
Hi Andrew T:

A few Q's:

1) If you eliminate the spare tire and carrier, what do you do if you have a flat tire? Are Michelins run-flat tires?

2) Does the image mean that the front vehicle/rear vehicle/trailer axle weights increased by 230/290/180 after the WDH is engaged? Those numbers add up to 700#. If all the 700# are transferred to TV/trailer, doesn't that mean there is no weight on the tongue?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wann'a know the weights?....just post the tickets.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote