Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The published 833 pound tongue weight for a 25FB International Serenity was in reality 1,150 pounds when the trailer was picked up at the dealership. The dealer had added street side and rear ZipDee awnings,a 150 watt solar panel with controller and we had installed the Hensley Arrow hitch without the stinger.

So published weight may not even be close to the reality when loaded for a trip. Thus the need for a Shurline scale to verify the tongue weight before the trip to measure the trailer's tongue weight to ensure the tow vehicle's payload is not exceeded.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Another data point

A few, actually.

We bought a new 2013 25FB flying cloud in April. This trailer has no options (and it is the twin bed layout). The hitch is a Blue Ox, which only puts chain brackets on the trailer tongue--not much added weight there.

We went straight from the dealership to a nearby truck scale. The propane tanks were full. The water tanks were empty (the trailer was winterized). The total trailer weight was 5620 pounds vs. the spec of 5503. I didn't get the tongue weight this time but my other weights indicate it was above the 837 pound factory spec, but under 900 pounds.

Our second outing was a three day WBCCI rally. Someone brought a scale, and weighed our tongue at about 960. That was with the water heater full, a few gallons in the black tank, and the gray tank nearly full. We dumped the waste tanks while leaving, and hit another truck scale the next day. The tongue weight then was 900.

For longer trips, we expect to take more "stuff", and see the tongue weight hit 1000 pounds (without water in the waste tanks).

Oh, and our last travel trailer? Took it to the scales once, coming back from a week long trip, with no water on board. 160 pound tongue weight, 1560 total. No, not an Airstream!
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
I wonder what my 34 foot panamerica would have for tongue weight with no load in back. My 3500 dodge rear spring height goes from 150mm to 100mm with no equilizer hitch and back to 110 with eq hitch. Pullls nice with 1500 pounds of bike and gear in back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	187982  
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
The 23FB has a lighter hitch weight because the rear door location necessitates moving the axles forward slightly.

In general hitch weight is a good thing as long as you equalize it effectively. As you transfer weight to the front wheels of the tow vehicle some weight is transfered to the trailer wheels.

We do at times reduce hitch weight by relocating batteries, eliminating the spare tire and carrier (change to Michelins), this is not a common occurance but sometimes necessary. On even rarer occasions we reduce the size of the LP tanks which does actually create a handy storage area.

This picture shows where the weight distribution of a 23D with the above modifications.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weight transfer.png
Views:	451
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	187987  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Mr T. Thnxs for posting. That illustration really does show where the weight ends up once the WDH is connected and adjusted correctly.

The numbers on the pic are not that clear so I zoomed in.

Looks like 230lbs/ 290lbs/ 180lbs
Old 06-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
rostam,
The only component of my Equalizer WDH on the tongue was the L brackets - probably 20 lbs. I used a set of digital racing scales. Water and propane tanks full. Our variable load forward of the front axle is simply clothing and bedding.
Thanks JamuJoe
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
The 23FB has a lighter hitch weight because the rear door location necessitates moving the axles forward slightly.

In general hitch weight is a good thing as long as you equalize it effectively. As you transfer weight to the front wheels of the tow vehicle some weight is transfered to the trailer wheels.

We do at times reduce hitch weight by relocating batteries, eliminating the spare tire and carrier (change to Michelins), this is not a common occurance but sometimes necessary. On even rarer occasions we reduce the size of the LP tanks which does actually create a handy storage area.

This picture shows where the weight distribution of a 23D with the above modifications.
Hi Andrew T:

A few Q's:

1) If you eliminate the spare tire and carrier, what do you do if you have a flat tire? Are Michelins run-flat tires?

2) Does the image mean that the front vehicle/rear vehicle/trailer axle weights increased by 230/290/180 after the WDH is engaged? Those numbers add up to 700#. If all the 700# are transferred to TV/trailer, doesn't that mean there is no weight on the tongue?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wann'a know the weights?....just post the tickets.

Bob
Old 06-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
For many years most Airstreams built did not have spare tires because they could run on three wheels in case of a flat tire. They still can today, you just max the pressure in the remianing tire and keep your speed down to 50 MPH. Generally though you do not have to run very far to get a replacement tire.

The Michelin's are not run flats but they almost never have a flat. In all the traveling I have done I have never had a flat with a Michelin and I can only think of a couple of customers that have. The more common trailer tire problem of belt separation never occurs with the Michelins. In old days when a spare was an option we would suggest to customers spend the money on a michelin upgrade and you won't need the spare.

There is still weight on the tongue it is just being transfered to various axles instead of all going on the rear axle of the tow vehicle. It would be even more than 700 on the rear axle since you would be leveraging behind it. So without the weight distribuion this combination would be something like -300 on the front, 1000 rear and the trailer would stay even.

Hi Robert I weigh quite a number of combinations so I do not keep all the tickets.

Andrew T

Old 06-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
This is kind of cool, customer sent me this diagram of his weights with the 23FB which is lighter hitch weight.

Andrew T
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011_AIRSTREAM_TRAVERSE.pdf (455.5 KB, 124 views)

Old 06-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
For many years most Airstreams built did not have spare tires because they could run on three wheels in case of a flat tire. They still can today, you just max the pressure in the remianing tire and keep your speed down to 50 MPH. Generally though you do not have to run very far to get a replacement tire.

The Michelin's are not run flats but they almost never have a flat. In all the traveling I have done I have never had a flat with a Michelin and I can only think of a couple of customers that have. The more common trailer tire problem of belt separation never occurs with the Michelins. In old days when a spare was an option we would suggest to customers spend the money on a michelin upgrade and you won't need the spare.

There is still weight on the tongue it is just being transfered to various axles instead of all going on the rear axle of the tow vehicle. It would be even more than 700 on the rear axle since you would be leveraging behind it. So without the weight distribuion this combination would be something like -300 on the front, 1000 rear and the trailer would stay even.

Hi Robert I weigh quite a number of combinations so I do not keep all the tickets.

Andrew T
Thanks Andrew T!