Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Where is the water pump? - 2014 Bunkhouse 30'

I am winterizing for the first time. Followed the directions all the way through to hooking up the bypass hose for the RV winterizing fluid to pump into the lines, but can not find the water pump. The manual says under the roadside wardrobe behind a pressure latch. Short of climbing under the trailer, I have not located it. Thanks.
stevegriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

The answer is according to Airstream support - pull out the bottom three shelves between the lavatory and the oven.

So in case anyone from airstream reads this, here's a little suggestion.
Either
A. make it possible for someone to permanently add a T bypass (all of 3 inches long), or
B. Spend the 50 cents or buck at your volumes and put in a T bypass during construction. It really makes no sense to me why this is an owner-added option given how critical it is to winterize in almost all areas where Airstream is sold.

As is, the bolting down of the water lines to the floor essentially precludes adding a permanent T bypass. The tie downs do not allow the hose to move back far enough to get the 3 inch T bypass valve in place. The tie downs are screwed down such that they are next to impossible to unscrew due to their location and close quarters. So, what should really be a factory installed component ends up taking hours to do or in my situation I will have to take apart the input line coupling, screw in the T, winterize, remove the T, hookup the input line again, and then repeat the entire process next year. Sort of like having to take a transmission out of a car to change the antifreeze.

Common, important maintenance items should be relatively simple to do.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Steve, I understand completely your frustration. I winterized my '14 Interstate last weekend and had a similar problem. On my water pump there are QuikTach connections for both sides of the pump. The inlet side is the most difficult to get to with what appears to be a 3/4" or 1" vinyl braided hose. Putting in a T to enable AF suction will be quite a chore. I was able to blow all the water out with my air compressor but like to put AF in the system as well. Guess I have a project for next summer.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Steve, Surely what you describe is not correct. That sounds absolutely ludicrous.

Why is the bypass not standard? On my 2012 25'FB I was very much surprised to learn the bypass kit was not installed and that I had to do it myself and that the bypass kit had to be installed under the fridge which was a royal pain. I then put a 5 gallon soft tank in the closet so I could winterize quickly on our back and forth trips to Phoenix during the winter.

Does the factory expect you to blow it out with low pressure high volume air every time or do they expect you to take it to the dealer every time? I need to lug around a big air compressor every time I leave warm to head back to cold Denver. Really!

I am more than a bit disappointed in the thoughts of dealing with this again on our new forth coming 30' Bunk. Well, I have not picked it up yet and will talk to the dealer about having it installed with a length of hose that will allow me to reach a larger 5 gallon soft tank.

Still you have to remove drawers and get back in there to work the valve each time. Why is there not an access door maybe in the bathroom or better yet from outside.

I still holding out that the 2015 will not be the pain the 2012 was but it is not looking good.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

The warm air duct is below the bottom drawer and it does pop out, BUT the air duct hosing has no play and you really can't pull the air duct panel away much to do work. I believe there would be enough room to get your hand in, pull out the hose and turn on the bypass. Still, it will be a royal pain even for the dealer to install. I personally if I were ordering one, would insist that the factory put it in. For them, it would be trivial.

For me, I just left the input from the tank loose, sucked in the fluid, then removed the t and hooked back up the tank feed to the pump.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I had to have the dealer install a winterizing T, valve, and tubing. It is in the wardrobe under a false floor on my trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
On my 2015 remove the drawer above the bottom vent cover just to the right of the bathroom door. Then remove the vent cover, pull forward just a bit, turn sideways and tuck it up into the area where the drawer was. Remove the feed hose attached to the pump filter. Then remove the pump filter assembly from the pump. Install the bypass valve kit, reattached the feed hose to the valve and then reinstall the pump filter assembly to the pump. For the life of me I don't know why they don't install one from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winterize Bypass 3.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	229024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winterize Bypass 2.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	229025  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winterize Bypass 1.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	229026  
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Miller Place , New York
Shame on Airstream for not including a $10 Tvalve on the intake side of the water pump to facilitate winterizing. They are such a "class" company in so many other ways, including the price of their products. I hope they have a full-time "net" person who reads these forums.
ultrahuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
On my 2015 remove the drawer above the bottom vent cover just to the right of the bathroom door. Then remove the vent cover, pull forward just a bit, turn sideways and tuck it up into the area where the drawer was. Remove the feed hose attached to the pump filter. Then remove the pump filter assembly from the pump. Install the bypass valve kit, reattached the feed hose to the valve and then reinstall the pump filter assembly to the pump. For the life of me I don't know why they don't install one from the factory.

Hi, and that huge hole where the drain pipe goes through the floor is an easy access for Mickey Mouse to get into your trailer. Ask me how I know this?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote