Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
VernH

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Virginia
Truck and Trailer

I have just ordered a 2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Crew Cab. My wife likes the 30' Flying Cloud? Is this enough truck?
VernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Probably enough to tow the trailer, but probably not enough payload to carry the tongue load and whatever else you normally carry.

A while back I ran all the numbers on all the 1/2 tons trying to find one in the extended cab version I could tow a 30' with, and I kept coming up empty handed. You can go over the weight limit a little, but I wouldn't do it by much, or for very long.

I suggest you take a look at the GVWR of the truck, add all the weight you expect to carry in the truck routinely, add the weight of a weight distribution hitch, and about 3/4 of the trailer's tongue weight to the curb weight of the truck, and see where you are.

With the late model trailers, it seems like anything over a 25' is pushing it with respect to weight with a 1/2 ton.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernH View Post
I have just ordered a 2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Crew Cab. My wife likes the 30' Flying Cloud? Is this enough truck?
Yes. Plenty.

You may want to add load range E tires when the OEMs wear out.

Have fun!
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP, in case you have not gone to the Dodge web site,
Ram Trucks - Towing Capacity Chart

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Here are some reference data for you.

Ram truck towing and payload: Ram Trucks - Towing Capacity Chart

2015 Airstream FC 30 specs and weights: Flying Cloud Floor Plans & Specifications - Airstream

To these weights you will need to add anything you plan to carry in the truck, such as yourself, other passengers, tools, camping supplies such as generator, fuel, or wood, chairs, tables, etc. Also add the payload of the truck the weight of the weight distribution hitch, and if you choose to use one, a truck bed cover, or camper shell.

Now you have all the specs, and weights, so I'm sure you can do the math.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
My math says no. The payload for the Quadcab eco-diesel is really low, like 1500 lbs. Let's say you and the missus are a combined weight of 300 labs fully outfitted. And say you've got another 150 lbs or so of "stuff" to haul with you. Plus gas and fluids (add another 150 lbs). Leaves you with 900 lbs of payload capacity. Now, subtract the weight of the hitch mount. That leaves you at or under capacity for everything from a 25ft AS on up, which average over 800 lbs for hitch weight. True, a weight distribution hitch will be shifting those numbers in your favor, but without it, you're pushing it.

Adding other passengers, gear for the truck, etc and you are easily overtaxed IMHO.

One thing about the 1500 series vs. the larger HD models like the 2500 are things like beefier transmissions, better cooling, better brakes, heavier duty frame, the kinds of things you don't want to have to worry about when hauling a 30' trailer up mountain passes. For flat land, no worries, but you'll soon feel the difference when the terrain gets more vertical.

I haul the 28' trailer, which has a high hitch weight. The 2500 is splendid. I would consider a Hemi engines model to save money, but I wouldn't consider using a 1/2 truck, with or without the ecodiesel.

A dozen or more other people here will tell you they tow just fine with a 1/2 ton truck like a Tundra or an F150, so you have to come to your own decisions. I usually have three other passengers, a dog, and frequently some dirt bikes, so for me, I don't really want to be over capacity.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
I'm with Lara me and the above posting which encourage you to do the math *and allow some margin for safety and error*; it's... why we went from 1/2 to 3/4 ... just saying; YMMV
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Not even close. Maybe a Bamb or a little bigger. Look for a one ton dually diesel. That will work.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I tow my 6,500 lb 30' trailer with a half ton no problem.

Additionally, it is my opinion that a WD hitch will take some weight off of the truck.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
The question should be "should I tow a 30 FC with a 1/2 ton", not can a 1/2 ton tow a 30 FC". The answer to the second is yes it can, the answer (in my opinion) to the first is no.

The main reason is payload capacity as stated. The Ram simply does not have it, the hitch weight on the 2015 FC is listed at about 880 pounds, that is more than have the payload of the Ram. Add anything in the bed, you and your wife in the cab and you are over. The OEM tires are probably D rated and not E, which you will need to consider as well.

I've been through all this, started with 1/2 Ton, went to 3/4 Ton, which was enough now run a 1 Ton. I am adding a larger fuel tank, etc and in my case always want to be on the heavy side of the question with two vehicles instead of on the light side. Your wife has great taste - this is our second 30' FC and we absolutely love it, this time we ordered with front recliners instead of the couch.

Best of luck, I would imagine your Dodge dealer will allow you to switch trucks with the deposit you probably had to put down and if so I would switch to the 3/4 with the Cummins
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Good grief. We scare people off all this time here on this topic. This truck is more than capable! A quad cab Ram 1500 with the diesel has 1,600 lbs payload capacity and tow rating of 8,000 lbs.

Much of that Airstream's 800lb tonque weight is distributed off the rear axle to the front axle and to the trailer axle anyway. Even it did not, the 800lbs of remaining cargo is more than enough. And then even if it wasn't enough , E-load range tires would add plenty of extra cargo capacity.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
[QUOTE=Wayward;1558570]Good grief. We scare people off all this time here on this topic. This truck is more than capable! A quad cab Ram 1500 with the diesel has 1,600 lbs payload capacity and tow rating of 8,000 lbs.

QUOTE]

Wayward, If you go to this page: Ram Trucks - Towing Capacity Chart and then click on the bottom where it says more options, then click on the SLT with the 3.0 Diesel engine, you will see the truck is rated to tow 8050lbs., OR carry 1464lbs.

If you then click on "OPEN TOWING & PAYLOAD CALCULATOR", you will see if you load the truck with the max payload of 1464, they say the towing goes down to 6586lbs. Or if you slide the scale on the calculator to minimum payload of the driver only calculated at 150lbs., THEN you get the max towing of 8050lbs.

So, what Ram is saying is it will haul 1464lbs., OR tow 8050lbs., but not at the same time. Then if you use the slide scale calculator that Ram provides, and load the truck with 1000lbs., (probably a typical load of people, camping supplies, hitch, and tongue weight) the towing capacity goes down by that 1000lbs., to roughly 7000lbs.

Also, I looked at most all the 1/2 ton trucks and every one I looked at came with "XL" P metric radial tires.

Bottom line is, yes you could tow the 30FC with the truck, but to be within manufacturer's specs, that's all you could do with it, i.e. you couldn't haul much at all at the same time.

I would do it in flat country, on limited short trips, after I changed the tires to at least "D" rated LT tires. This is less than what I wanted a truck for, but others may have different opinions.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Bottom line is, yes you could tow the 30FC with the truck, but to be within manufacturer's specs, that's all you could do with it, i.e. you couldn't haul much at all at the same time.
Right. But by clicking on other 1/2 ton models it looks like tires and gearing are the primary factors there - both of which can be changed to give an extra margin of safety.

For example....... the factory spec'd towing capacity on my base model 1/2 ton truck is only 2000lbs while other models that year went as high as 8800lbs. I found the primary differences were transmission gear ratios, axle ratios and tires. I changed the gearing and tires, and have no issues towing the Airstream whatsoever.

Jumping to a 3/4 ton truck for a few hundred pounds more payload is not something a lot of people want or need to do.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
Right. But by clicking on other 1/2 ton models it looks like tires and gearing are the primary factors there - both of which can be changed to give an extra margin of safety.

For example....... the factory spec'd towing capacity on my 1/2 ton truck is only 2000lbs while other models that year went as high as 8800lbs. I found the primary differences were transmission gear ratios, axle ratios and tires. I changed the gearing and tires and have no issues towing the Airstream whatsoever.

Jumping to a 3/4 ton truck for a few hundred pounds more payload is not something a lot of people want or need to do.
I think if you check the "other models" in the charts, they are the lighter bodied models, and so have a heavier payload.

I do not argue that "Jumping to a 3/4 ton truck for a few hundred pounds more payload is not something a lot of people want or need to do" is not true, I just want everyone to know exactly what they are getting into.

I would also like to tow with a 1/2 ton truck because they are more pleasant to drive, and more economical, but with the load I have, and the distances and time we like to spend in the trailer, it just won't work. It may for others, but they need to know the specifics of the matter before they spend their money.

We all have either experienced it, or have read about people here that have bought either too much trailer for their tow vehicle, or too little tow vehicle for their trailer, have been unhappy with the rig, and so either quit, or had to spend additional money to change to a more capable tow vehicle.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
My 27FB factory tongue rating is 770 lbs. Loaded for camping I weighed it and it came to 900 lbs. Add in the dead weight of a weight distributing hitch and it's higher.

I looked at the Dodge 1500 diesel as a future upgrade and rejected it due to the factors described by SteveH above.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We are retired and use a 1/2 ton truck and it works very well traveling all over the country. The difference for us is payload, which we are able to manage easily. It is just the two of us when towing the trailer, and we need very little in the bed of the truck.

As Steve commented, it is easy, pleasant and economical to drive as an every day vehicle. This is important because we are on the road with this truck/trailer about 7 months every year.

I looked at a 2015 Ecodiesel 4x4 Big Horn crew cab short box the other day, 1184# payload (rear wheel drive would be about 1384#). The way we load and travel we can manage that and would love to drive it. The rub today is the price differential of diesel fuel and gas.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings fom the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to the answer to your question, in my opinion it is possibly, but not definitely. The one thing that you will find here on the Forums is the opinion of our membership. You opinions that you will find here are all honest opinions with commercial motives. The opinions that you will get from truck and RV salespeople are not always the best as some of these salesmen (saleswomen) have no idea what they are talking about. Some have never owned a truck or spent a night in an RV. Some were selling refrigerators and stoves three weeks ago.

The opinions that I will provide are based upon my Airstreaming experience.

The new Ram Half Ton Eco-Diesel should be an adequate tow vehicle for most purposes. What may make it marginal is its payload capacity.

Realistically, a late model 30' Airstream Travel Tailer is most likely going to weigh in the 8,500# category ready to camp. With full 40# LP tanks and a Hensley, the tongue weight will be nearing 1,000#.

This would be a tall, but not impossible, order for any half ton truck. To stay within the tow vehicle's specs, there would not be much payload capacity left for passengers, fuel, and gear.

This being said, the half ton Ram's viability would depend on how you plan to use your camping rig. If you are the kind of Airstreamer that makes a couple of two hundred mile trips to the lake per year, the half ton is probably more than adequate. If you are considering extensive high mileage trips, you may find the half ton marginal for the job.

Do your research thoroughly, and make your decision accordingly. Good luck in your pursuit, and let us know what you decide.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
The issue is not only safety, although to me that is the most important factor, but legality.

Check the door sticker on any 1/2 Ton for the weights and then check the side sticker on a similar AS you are looking to buy. What you will find is the hitch weight of the AS takes up well over half the payload and axle capacity of the 1/2 Ton. One time in over two million miles driving varied vehicles and RVs I saw a couple pulled over and the local LEO was checking the two stickers - he did give them a ticket a warning actually for overloaded truck. It's not what you are carrying, it's what the weight of the trailer is GVW when compared to the total capacity of the truck or tow vehicle. Not sure how insurance would handle this overloading in the event of an accident.

When we travel we travel extensively, usually pretty hard and fast covering over 1,000 miles every couple of days at times so we opted for the one ton this time and have not regretted it one bit, plus it is my daily driver. It's a little expensive to drive every day, but then I think how nice it is on the road with the AS behind.

As moosetags suggested RESEARCH, and research every source you can find not only the forums.

Best of luck and welcome
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Truck and Trailer

Ok, at about 6,500 lbs ready to camp it seems as if my old trailer is lighter than the new trailers, so there is a bit of an exception here, but at about 15,000 miles of towing at this point, I have never needed or even wanted a truck bigger than my 1/2 ton. My truck is somewhat heavily sprung as 1/2 tons go, but IMHO this makes little to any difference when WD is used (as compared to softer sprung units because a good WD hitch WILL effectively remove weight from the truck. )

I am not telling anyone what they should or should not do, I am just stating what works very very well for me.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Everyone seems to see Airstreaming from a different perspective, and there's nothing wrong with that. It is the long trips that our Ram 1/2 thrives on. I set the appropriate gear (rpm) for the grades and wind, and it just motors along as sweet as can be. The ride is quiet and smooth, the ProPride hitch holds everything in line no matter the traffic, road or wind conditions.

It is only the very steep grades where the gas engine needs the high rpm to reach its torque potential, and that's no often enough to dislike it. It still does the job, just a little more engine noise. And that is why I was looking at the Ecodisel.

It would be a solution for those moments, but like any diesel pulling the relatively light and streamlined Airstream, does this benefit justify the purchase and operating cost.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote