Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Sewer Flusher

Sewer flusher inlet does is not working on our 2009 Flying cloud 25 ft FB. When I hook up water hose and turn on no water flows into the black tank. Anyone have this problem and know of a solution. Thank you
dbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A shot in the dark, the fresh water and sewer flush inlets are next to each other, easy to hook the wrong one. Are you sure you're on the sewer flush?

Otherwise there's only a check valve between the inlet and nozzle, could the nozzle holes be plugged with dried "stuff"? On ours you can see the check valve behind the sink cabinet.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
That system really does almost nothing even when it does work. Besides that the back flow preventer in it causes far more problems, in the form of leaking unseen water onto the flooring than is worth the risk.

In general the commercially available flushing systems are there for those who need to feel good. If you study the You tubes made on this subject you will see the fallacy behind their idea.

Watching this video will take you to several others on the subject.

What I do just to ensure the paper that may be left behind on the floor of the tank is moved is. After the black tank has drained and while the valve is still open lift the hose above the height of the valve and open the gray tank valve. Count to 10 or so and close the gray valve as you drop the hose. That send a significant amount of somewhat clearer water into the black tank. Let that drain and close the black valve.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I dunno... that video seems to imply that an in-tank flush (as is on the newer airstreams) does a pretty good job!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Who went in there to check.

If you have ever seen a damage tank you would realize the fruitfulness of the effort. Another eye opener is the fact that the gray tank is much worst inside than the black.

A friend drove over truck tire on the way one Friday night. We replaced both tanks that night and that is the source of my inside observation.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaur View Post
Sewer flusher inlet does is not working on our 2009 Flying cloud 25 ft FB. When I hook up water hose and turn on no water flows into the black tank. Anyone have this problem and know of a solution. Thank you
Welcome to the forum!

If this black water back-flush system has not been used constantly since 2009, the small micro-holes in the spray jets probably got clogged up permanently IMO.

The only solution is to replace each of the 4-6 jets which are usually difficult to access, at least all of them. I would forget about the system and deal with the black water tank the old-fashioned way. After dumping it, add 5 gallons of water down the toilet, drive a few miles, empty the tank again, then do that all over again. The tank will be clean enough for the winter, as it is vented out through the roof.

There are many other threads which discuss this, which I will look for when back home later today.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

What I do just to ensure the paper that may be left behind on the floor of the tank is moved is. After the black tank has drained and while the valve is still open lift the hose above the height of the valve and open the gray tank valve. Count to 10 or so and close the gray valve as you drop the hose. That send a significant amount of somewhat clearer water into the black tank. Let that drain and close the black valve.

I do the same. Sends a "whoosh" of water back up in to the black tank and loosens up a bunch more stuff. I can see it with my clear elbow on the hose. I usually have a full grey tank when flushing so I do it 3 times for 7-8 seconds each and then the remainder sort of washes out the stinky slinky (not really &#128512.

I also use an enzyme product in both black and grey tanks. The grey can get awfully nasty if not treated.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaur View Post
Wondering if you got this figured out?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote