Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
This conversion is to our 25' Front Dinette model which is the only mid-size late model which has no equipment preventing the changes to be made, is pretty much open in the front and side when the dinette and bench seats are out.

Only the converter and inverter were on the side and towards the rear so we designed the cabinet that Airstream built over them. We added the drawers.

All things considered, you ought to look for or order a 30' Recliner model rather than convert to one. Our conversion was near $4,000 for components and labor. Certainly worth it to us, but not if Airstream had a stock model so equipped.

cheryl
Thanks, Cheryl. Nice that you had such a clean slate to work with after removing the dinette. And that it came out so nicely! Yikes at what Airstream wanted for such a small amount of work and 2 recliners.

Your advice is sound: looking for a FC30 Recliner model. (They are so scarce, though, that a custom order is probably required.) Or, possibly, buy a FC30 with the sofa, then selecting our own recliners and have a little custom cabinet work done locally.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
DHart, actually there is more than two recliners. The cost includes the fold-out table, a center console between the recliners, a small custom-built enclosure for some small relays behind the curbside seat, their custom-built cabinet over the converter, and the recliners.

The converter equipment needed some adjusting to fit and another electrical outlet was wired into their center console. Maybe 10 hours labor/custom work, I'm not sure. Compared to typical new trailer option prices, we are satisfied with the cost, finish and appearance of the installation. And the recliners are terrific.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
DHart, actually there is more than two recliners. The cost includes the fold-out table, a center console between the recliners, a small custom-built enclosure for some small relays behind the curbside seat, their custom-built cabinet over the converter, and the recliners.

The converter equipment needed some adjusting to fit and another electrical outlet was wired into their center console. Maybe 10 hours labor/custom work, I'm not sure. Compared to typical new trailer option prices, we are satisfied with the cost, finish and appearance of the installation. And the recliners are terrific.

cheryl
OK... good to know. There was more work to it than I thought. And it was certainly done beautifully and with quality!

Did they have to do anything to the aluminum sheathing on the inside of the trailer or just adjust some components and create the cabinets? (Nice dovetailed drawers, by the way!)
Old 04-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
DHart, no metal work needed. The major components came from the 30' Recliner factory production line. The drawers and slides came from China by way of Amazon and we installed them.
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
eliot , Maine
recliners to replace sofa

to Carver 1
Like the simple but effective conversion. Is the table custom or is there a source you can share for purchase?

Does anyone know if JC performs this type of conversion?
rooksg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooksg View Post
to Carver 1
Like the simple but effective conversion. Is the table custom or is there a source you can share for purchase?

Does anyone know if JC performs this type of conversion?
I purchased the flip top table from the AS Classifieds. It came out of a recent FC. I then modified it to fit the rear of our International 25' FB. I am sure that JC will make any alteration you want for a price$$. I can tell you that the change I made was one of he best things that I did on my 25'

>>ron<<
Old 04-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
DHart we did the exact same thing as ckottum, but I did the work. Pretty simple, my wife would not go near the AS while I was working on it for fear she would see a mess. I even re-routed our heating duc work so it still functioned, ours was a 2010. Actually with my back I cannot sit in a stock AS couch for more than about 20 minutes.

We now have the 2015 30' FC with the recliner option. With this you not only get the recliners with a pull out table BUT also a full dinette. When stopped for a long time we connect the laptop and tablets and they sit by the windows on the dining room table. Just as an aside we added five pull out wire baskets to the right side of the hanging closet for additional storage and this is where the computer equipment goes when we are on the move.

Took us 6 weeks to get the 2015 in, not too bad. I would check Colonial AS in NJ. They have so many units coming in they might be able to change the specs on one over to the Recliner option.

Good Luck
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
DHart we did the exact same thing as ckottum, but I did the work. Pretty simple, my wife would not go near the AS while I was working on it for fear she would see a mess. I even re-routed our heating duc work so it still functioned, ours was a 2010. Actually with my back I cannot sit in a stock AS couch for more than about 20 minutes.

We now have the 2015 30' FC with the recliner option. With this you not only get the recliners with a pull out table BUT also a full dinette. When stopped for a long time we connect the laptop and tablets and they sit by the windows on the dining room table. Just as an aside we added five pull out wire baskets to the right side of the hanging closet for additional storage and this is where the computer equipment goes when we are on the move.

Took us 6 weeks to get the 2015 in, not too bad. I would check Colonial AS in NJ. They have so many units coming in they might be able to change the specs on one over to the Recliner option.

Good Luck
After receiving a totally ridiculous deal from Lazydays Tucson regarding trading in our 2011 HR Endeavor 43' motorhome I am now open to looking at dealers all across the country. We have the time to go pick up a new Airstream anywhere. Or have it transported to us. I've heard about Colonial in NJ.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #29
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You might also want to check with Foley's:

Gulf Coast RV Dealer | Welcome | Foley RV Center and Airstream of Mississippi
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #30
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
28 Classic

Here are my modifications to my 2005 Classic 28. The batteries are inside, so I built the woodwork to cover the battery boxes with a larger cabinet between. I moved the converter to the far roadside; there was plenty of cable to do this.

My wife and I each have a small drawer for meds and the like. We keep our stock of bottled drinks under the cabinet. There is also a shelf under there for our flags and a small toolbox.

We use $10 bamboo folding tables when we have a meal we can not eat on our laps. The tables are bungeed under the credenza where I removed the old folding table.

I always thought every Airstream should have a Tiffany lamp, so I added one. We remove the shade when we are under way. The base of the lamp is permanantly bolted to the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Chairs.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	235646  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Here are my modifications to my 2005 Classic 28. The batteries are inside, so I built the woodwork to cover the battery boxes with a larger cabinet between. I moved the converter to the far roadside; there was plenty of cable to do this.

My wife and I each have a small drawer for meds and the like. We keep our stock of bottled drinks under the cabinet. There is also a shelf under there for our flags and a small toolbox.

We use $10 bamboo folding tables when we have a meal we can not eat on our laps. The tables are bungeed under the credenza where I removed the old folding table.

I always thought every Airstream should have a Tiffany lamp, so I added one. We remove the shade when we are under way. The base of the lamp is permanantly bolted to the cabinet.
Nice looking job, John. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montgomery , Florida
Recliner n table

Have2015 fb int
Grateful2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
After receiving a totally ridiculous deal from Lazydays Tucson regarding trading in our 2011 HR Endeavor 43' motorhome I am now open to looking at dealers all across the country. We have the time to go pick up a new Airstream anywhere. Or have it transported to us. I've heard about Colonial in NJ.

Huh, funny you should say trading in a motorhome, we just did the exact same thing in December, but our MoHo was only six months old and 7,000 miles. Bought it new, took a 7,000 mile trip and when stopped loved it, when moving hated it, so we went back to AS. Our MoHo dealer took ours back. Colonial will give you an offer on the MoHo, but probably not much better than Lazy Days. Colonial are great people as we bought a 2010 from them and they sell Itasca MoHos, but they don't like to take other brands in on trade. They gave us an offer on our Newmar, which was straight wholesale, our MoHo selling dealer gave us retail and the AS, although they are not an AS dealer. We did a deal through our local dealer, they sold it to the MoHo dealer and the MoHo dealer "gave" us the AS and a check. Good Luck.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Huh, funny you should say trading in a motorhome, we just did the exact same thing in December, but our MoHo was only six months old and 7,000 miles. Bought it new, took a 7,000 mile trip and when stopped loved it, when moving hated it, so we went back to AS. Our MoHo dealer took ours back. Colonial will give you an offer on the MoHo, but probably not much better than Lazy Days. Colonial are great people as we bought a 2010 from them and they sell Itasca MoHos, but they don't like to take other brands in on trade. They gave us an offer on our Newmar, which was straight wholesale, our MoHo selling dealer gave us retail and the AS, although they are not an AS dealer. We did a deal through our local dealer, they sold it to the MoHo dealer and the MoHo dealer "gave" us the AS and a check. Good Luck.
Ours is a 2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT diesel pusher. We've absolutely loved it for 4 years and 24,000 miles (moving & stopped). But we're not RVing as much these days and are thinking that an Airstream would be more practical and certainly more economical (from payment and debt aspect) for the reduced usage we see having now. I think the Airstream would be a fun change, but a dramatic downsizing adjustment coming from the 43' Class A DP.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
What a thread

After four years of putting up with this:
SBU Muscle Shoals 08.28.2013-7 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr
I decided to return to the Airstream family. So, I now have this:
WBCCI_Mayberry_10.04.2014 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr
and, really enjoy it more. It has the recliners, as this thread is about, I guess, and in overall comfort, there is a difference in style but not in actual comfort from the moho. I am now down to two televisions vs., four in the moho. But the AS has a window which opens at my head, I love this. Like sleeping outdoors.

Overall costs of the moho...51,000 miles @ $3.27/mile vs. cost of TV and AS is about $1.75/mi which includes all costs from purchase to selling...i.e., depreciation, taxes, tag,etc.

And, at Flying J I can now back into the parking spots where with the moho, it was drive through only when flat towing.

Three cheers for towing an AS vs driving a moho....
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
To cotton, I have the same model, 2013. Did you lose the outside storage compartment on the street side?
John
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Our BIG adjustment back to an AS was the lost storage. With the Newmar we just threw anything we wanted in the basement. Our was a Gas, 38', great coach, but out west in the wind handled like a sail boat. We both have CDLs and it's the worst thing I've ever driven. So we took the hit and back to AS.

Going west again this summer and now Ill be able to see the sights while driving instead of hanging on. But I actually could back the MoHo up with a Jeep Wrangler attached. Took some time and effort but once backed her up 30' into a spot. Did not enjoy it, but got it done. Now, enjoy it.

Enjoy
Old 06-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Sandusky , Ohio
Recliners vs sofa

Having to replace a broken original sofa in 1985 Excella 34 ft. How to get sofa in?? and size---the space is 76" long by 34" deep (allowing for keeping the foldout table). Does sofa have to be built inside (like Ikea stuff) to preclude not fitting through door. What brands of recliners fit??

Newbie, obviously. thanks for any tips.
pauliesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:22 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Intersting that at home I have a couple of Ikea chairs which are in function like a recliner with their separate foot stools. And if I did not have my two factory AS recliners, the Ikea chairs would ne my choice. Maybe one fixed, one rocker, with one shared foot rest. And of course a system to secure to the floor when traveling. Check out the Ikea stuff as the comfort is actually better than the expensive AS recliners offered as an option in 2015's.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
We replaced our sofa with a Lambright double recliner. Made for the yachting industry they are light. They come in three pieces which are easy to get through the door. Assembly was simple and easy. They also make single recliner chairs. Excellent quality. 
Name:   IMG_0414.JPG
Views: 514
Size:  88.1 KB
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote