Old 04-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #15

2004 28' International CCD
Edmond , Oklahoma
Recliners replaced bench seat

We were in our 60's when we bought our 2004 International. Recliners were a must after finding the bench seating uncomfortable. After much measuring and research we found a website called Glasstop Furniture for Marine and RV. They had a large selection of recliners and material. My husband removed the seating across the front and left the portion where the breaker/fuse box /HWT/ and storage are housed. I can access the breakers without moving a chair. To access the HWT or storage I can easily move the chair out. No regrets here. It was simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	235583  

Old 04-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We removed the bench seating and took it to Airstream to have the FC 30 Recliner factory components installed, plus build a storage cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2531.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	235588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5721.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	235589  

Old 04-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
We removed the bench seating and took it to Airstream to have the FC 30 Recliner factory components installed, plus build a storage cabinet.
ckottum... that looks great! Is that in the 25 foot model? Amazing.

Was your bench seating the "L-shape" setup where there was nothing under the sofa at the front of the trailer, but there is some equipment/storage under the sofa on the side?

The 2015 30' Flying Cloud we are considering has the L-shpaed sofa with no encumbrance under the front-end sofa, but there is some equipment or storage under the L-side sofa that might complicate our switching to recliners.

Did Airstream need to relocate any equipment from the side of your trailer when they converted to recliner set-up?
Old 04-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Mary Esther , Florida
Recliner

Quote:
We built a cabinet and put in a recliner fb27 international
Old 04-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #19
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Consue, love the red recliners!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:47 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
ckottum... that looks great! Is that in the 25 foot model? Amazing.

Was your bench seating the "L-shape" setup where there was nothing under the sofa at the front of the trailer, but there is some equipment/storage under the sofa on the side?

The 2015 30' Flying Cloud we are considering has the L-shpaed sofa with no encumbrance under the front-end sofa, but there is some equipment or storage under the L-side sofa that might complicate our switching to recliners.

Did Airstream need to relocate any equipment from the side of your trailer when they converted to recliner set-up?
This conversion is to our 25' Front Dinette model which is the only mid-size late model which has no equipment preventing the changes to be made, is pretty much open in the front and side when the dinette and bench seats are out.

Only the converter and inverter were on the side and towards the rear so we designed the cabinet that Airstream built over them. We added the drawers.

All things considered, you ought to look for or order a 30' Recliner model rather than convert to one. Our conversion was near $4,000 for components and labor. Certainly worth it to us, but not if Airstream had a stock model so equipped.

cheryl
Old 04-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
This conversion is to our 25' Front Dinette model which is the only mid-size late model which has no equipment preventing the changes to be made, is pretty much open in the front and side when the dinette and bench seats are out.

Only the converter and inverter were on the side and towards the rear so we designed the cabinet that Airstream built over them. We added the drawers.

All things considered, you ought to look for or order a 30' Recliner model rather than convert to one. Our conversion was near $4,000 for components and labor. Certainly worth it to us, but not if Airstream had a stock model so equipped.

cheryl
Thanks, Cheryl. Nice that you had such a clean slate to work with after removing the dinette. And that it came out so nicely! Yikes at what Airstream wanted for such a small amount of work and 2 recliners.

Your advice is sound: looking for a FC30 Recliner model. (They are so scarce, though, that a custom order is probably required.) Or, possibly, buy a FC30 with the sofa, then selecting our own recliners and have a little custom cabinet work done locally.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:45 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
DHart, actually there is more than two recliners. The cost includes the fold-out table, a center console between the recliners, a small custom-built enclosure for some small relays behind the curbside seat, their custom-built cabinet over the converter, and the recliners.

The converter equipment needed some adjusting to fit and another electrical outlet was wired into their center console. Maybe 10 hours labor/custom work, I'm not sure. Compared to typical new trailer option prices, we are satisfied with the cost, finish and appearance of the installation. And the recliners are terrific.

cheryl
Old 04-04-2015, 11:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
DHart, actually there is more than two recliners. The cost includes the fold-out table, a center console between the recliners, a small custom-built enclosure for some small relays behind the curbside seat, their custom-built cabinet over the converter, and the recliners.

The converter equipment needed some adjusting to fit and another electrical outlet was wired into their center console. Maybe 10 hours labor/custom work, I'm not sure. Compared to typical new trailer option prices, we are satisfied with the cost, finish and appearance of the installation. And the recliners are terrific.

cheryl
OK... good to know. There was more work to it than I thought. And it was certainly done beautifully and with quality!

Did they have to do anything to the aluminum sheathing on the inside of the trailer or just adjust some components and create the cabinets? (Nice dovetailed drawers, by the way!)
Old 04-05-2015, 12:03 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
DHart, no metal work needed. The major components came from the 30' Recliner factory production line. The drawers and slides came from China by way of Amazon and we installed them.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
eliot , Maine
recliners to replace sofa

to Carver 1
Like the simple but effective conversion. Is the table custom or is there a source you can share for purchase?

Does anyone know if JC performs this type of conversion?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooksg View Post
to Carver 1
Like the simple but effective conversion. Is the table custom or is there a source you can share for purchase?

Does anyone know if JC performs this type of conversion?
I purchased the flip top table from the AS Classifieds. It came out of a recent FC. I then modified it to fit the rear of our International 25' FB. I am sure that JC will make any alteration you want for a price$$. I can tell you that the change I made was one of he best things that I did on my 25'

>>ron<<
Old 04-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
DHart we did the exact same thing as ckottum, but I did the work. Pretty simple, my wife would not go near the AS while I was working on it for fear she would see a mess. I even re-routed our heating duc work so it still functioned, ours was a 2010. Actually with my back I cannot sit in a stock AS couch for more than about 20 minutes.

We now have the 2015 30' FC with the recliner option. With this you not only get the recliners with a pull out table BUT also a full dinette. When stopped for a long time we connect the laptop and tablets and they sit by the windows on the dining room table. Just as an aside we added five pull out wire baskets to the right side of the hanging closet for additional storage and this is where the computer equipment goes when we are on the move.

Took us 6 weeks to get the 2015 in, not too bad. I would check Colonial AS in NJ. They have so many units coming in they might be able to change the specs on one over to the Recliner option.

Good Luck
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
DHart we did the exact same thing as ckottum, but I did the work. Pretty simple, my wife would not go near the AS while I was working on it for fear she would see a mess. I even re-routed our heating duc work so it still functioned, ours was a 2010. Actually with my back I cannot sit in a stock AS couch for more than about 20 minutes.

We now have the 2015 30' FC with the recliner option. With this you not only get the recliners with a pull out table BUT also a full dinette. When stopped for a long time we connect the laptop and tablets and they sit by the windows on the dining room table. Just as an aside we added five pull out wire baskets to the right side of the hanging closet for additional storage and this is where the computer equipment goes when we are on the move.

Took us 6 weeks to get the 2015 in, not too bad. I would check Colonial AS in NJ. They have so many units coming in they might be able to change the specs on one over to the Recliner option.

Good Luck
After receiving a totally ridiculous deal from Lazydays Tucson regarding trading in our 2011 HR Endeavor 43' motorhome I am now open to looking at dealers all across the country. We have the time to go pick up a new Airstream anywhere. Or have it transported to us. I've heard about Colonial in NJ.