Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2015, 05:47 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Back to the topic.

It sounds primitive, but a standard issue red solo cup makes a fairly decent speaker. If you have never tried it, lay the cup on its side on the table or counter, put your phone in it with the phone speaker facing the bottom. That's it.

Nothing expensive or needing extra power. And no it doesn't get really loud. But it gets loud enough to hear sitting in your chair with your drink, and no danger of being "that person" bothering everyone else around you.

So what you are telling me is that I can have outdoor stereo with two smartphones and two red Solo® cups? 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
What we do is use an IPAD (or my cell phone) as the source of all our music. For inside the AS, we use a Belkin Hands free that connects to the Sony radio aux port, and receives power from the cigarette lighter in the top cupboard (by the stereo). It also comes with a USB port so you can also use it to power up any USB devices. The Belkin connects via Bluetooth to the cell phone / tablet. Low cost and quite handy. I leave it always plugged in. Link to it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Hands-F.../dp/B004CLYJ2I

For outside (or anywhere we want), we use a JBL charge portable indoor/outdoor Bluetooth speaker. Several versions at different prices, but the ~$60 works surprisingly good ( I thought better than the much more expensive Bose). Can buy at most stores, a link is:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Flip-Bluet...etooth+speaker
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Washington , Illinois
Well I wanted to confirm to the group this can be done. There is some mention of it above, but I wanted to describe my personal results.

1. We have a 2012 27FB International Serenity
2. The Sony headunit had subwoofer outs, and front and rear "outputs" which were non-used RCA connections.
3. I purchased the Micca transmitting unit because of its 150' range claims and it has aptx. (more on that later)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4. We also purchased a bluetooth aptx compatible speaker, one that you can plug into the outlet on the outside of the trailer, but also has an 8 hour battery life if you wanted that too.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It currently took a price drop on amazon and is a pretty good deal IMO.
5. After connecting the Micca unit to the Sony, and then easily pairing it to the bluetooth speaker it works GREAT! Now we can listen to anything the indoor sony is playing both indoors and outdoors. I would highly recommend this.

Now to my final point, I would highly suggest you only do something like this if you get the aptx low latency transmitter and bluetooth speaker, (or very little delay between wired speaker output and bluetooth speaker output) I also paired an older bluetooth "jambox" we had as a test and it did not have the aptx feature like the speaker mentioned above. The delay between when you hear the sound inside vs. on the bluetooth speaker is bad enough it will drive you nuts. There is minimal delay when using aptx bluetooth, so little you almost have to try and listen for it.

So it is possible to hook a bluetooth speaker to your sony headunit. I would assume most newer, or slightly older Airstream headunits will have similar outputs if you don't have a 2012. You could also splice into your LH and RH speaker wire and connect to the 3.5mm headphone jack on the micca as a last ditch effort, but that is a little wonky.

Josh
jnuechte is offline   Reply With Quote