Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Note that the tire pressure table in question above is for the Michelin "XPS Rib" model summer rated LT tire, not the Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 "all season rated" installed by the Airstream factory on the Eddie Bauer and 2015 31' Classic.

There might be some differences between the two tires besides a slightly taller 0.2" diameter on the XPS R ib tire.
You are correct, switz. I have the table for the proper tire in a hard copy format and used it for my original calculations. When I went to post the electronic link above (for the convenience of others) I did not notice that it was for a slightly different tire. I am having trouble finding a link to the electronic copy of the specific Michelin tire that Airstream puts on the EB's. However, the figures on the link are the same as the ones I have on my hard copy so I think the information on that link can be used safely. Especially if one puts in a margin of 10 psi as I have.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
The Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires and SenDel T03-66655T wheels are standard on the 2015 31' Classic. They should have been installing them a long time ago with the Classic's GVW of 10,000 pounds. These Michelin tires are rated 2,680 pounds at 80psi and are not speed limited like the the GoodYear Marathons that are rated 2,540 pounds at 65psi and a speed limited to 65mph per their sidewall. The Michelins are 29.2" in diameter while the GoodYears are 28.3" tall. Thus the trailer will have just under ½" more ground clearance.

The tire you want is Michelin part number #05681. Five cost me around $1,188 mounted on my rims at CostCo. They may be in short supply due to the recall for an issue on a prior model that is being replaced with the current version.
Where is the best place to buy these wheels and tires?
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Well good question. Im going to our local Discount Tire Store today and have them give me a price on both Tires and Rims. Im also moving up to the 16" wheel. I can share what I find out if you like. I know the ballpark for this and its not cheap but I will sleep better knowing the GYM are no longer on my trailer. I know there are lots of people who like the Goodyear Tire and I hope so because I plan on selling tires /wheels on line soon. they are all but new so I plan on seeing what Discount Tire charges for new ones (wheel & tire ) and I plan on selling for half price. So if you know anyone who wants new tires with less the 500 miles that came off a 2014 Fling Cloud 25..then let me know.. Have a great day...
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #64
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbp View Post
Well good question. Im going to our local Discount Tire Store today and have them give me a price on both Tires and Rims. Im also moving up to the 16" wheel. I can share what I find out if you like. I know the ballpark for this and its not cheap but I will sleep better knowing the GYM are no longer on my trailer. I know there are lots of people who like the Goodyear Tire and I hope so because I plan on selling tires /wheels on line soon. they are all but new so I plan on seeing what Discount Tire charges for new ones (wheel & tire ) and I plan on selling for half price. So if you know anyone who wants new tires with less the 500 miles that came off a 2014 Fling Cloud 25..then let me know.. Have a great day...
You probably would sell them quicker if you gave the size and load range for those tires.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Thanks Andy...will do...
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I used CostCo to purchase the five Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires (Michelin part number 05681) and install them on four aluminum and one galvanized steel SenDel rims with the Dill TPMS I acquired from a local Discount Tire. Aluminum wheel T03-66655T and steel wheel S62-66655SG.

I purchased five aluminum wheels and have one in storage as a battle spare.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Greetings Switz:

If you don't mind me asking - how scary was the price of (4) SenDel Alum-Rims and the Michelin tires. I'm going to price this out tomorrow at Costco (in Canada) and it will be interesting to see how the price changes from country to country.

Thanks

Doug

Quote:
I used CostCo to purchase the five Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires (Michelin part number 05681) and install them on four aluminum and one galvanized steel SenDel rims with the Dill TPMS I acquired from a local Discount Tire. Aluminum wheel T03-66655T and steel wheel S62-66655SG.

I purchased five aluminum wheels and have one in storage as a battle spare.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
As a side note or (stupid question) on the topics of tires and one thing I don't understand....

I understand the thinking behind changing ones factory issued Good Year tires for better quality Michelin tires. But I'm a little lost on the thinking behind changing tire size and going from a 15" to 16".

I'm assuming there is some type of benefit, I'm not sure what it is? I do know that the tire size change certainly makes the purchase cost a lot more with not just the addition of new wheels, but a complete spare as well.

Thanks

Doug
Old 09-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
As a side note or (stupid question) on the topics of tires and one thing I don't understand....

I understand the thinking behind changing ones factory issued Good Year tires for better quality Michelin tires. But I'm a little lost on the thinking behind changing tire size and going from a 15" to 16".

I'm assuming there is some type of benefit, I'm not sure what it is? I do know that the tire size change certainly makes the purchase cost a lot more with not just the addition of new wheels, but a complete spare as well.

Thanks

Doug
Doug, for us we travel the country widely and wanted the most reliable tire we could get. That led us to the 16" Michelins discussed here.

We spent $1500 on four Michelins/Sendel wheels and sold the factory set for $500 so it cost us $1000. Give or take some pennies. That's not bad for reliability and peace of mind.

With the stellar record of the Michelins I see no reason to buy a new 16" spare. The factory 15" tire will do fine in the very unlikely event we will need it. I have considered leaving that at home to reduce hitch weight/gain payload because we can remove a flat and travel on three tires for a repair in the very unlikely event we will ever need to. Yes, it's in your Airstream Owners Manual.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks for this info Doug!

I just spoke to my local tire dealer. (Large Canadian Chain) and the manager had never heard of Sendel wheels. He was going to have a look on the net if he could find out anything about them. Does anyone have recommendations for an option if I cannot access the wheels?

TKS
Doug
Old 09-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Get the 16" Sendel T02 or T03 sized and drilled for your Airstream. You should be able to order them.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #72
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You can get an exact knockoff from eTrailer called "Americana".
But don't get one of the recalled lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I ended up ordering a wheel by Allied Components #870-66060. Here is a screenshot on the spec's on it. (screenshot below)

At least my local supplier can get it for me and I need it very soon. We leave for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in a couple weeks, so getting this done is sort of under a bit of a time crunch. I'm told the new tires will be in tomorrow and the wheels by the end of the week. So I should be in good shape....
Thanks everyone for your help and input on this

Cheers
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	870-screenshot.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	221372  
Old 09-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #74
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Don't know if these are with or without the center hubs.
My Sendel wheels came without center hubs and I needed to order separately.
Best to check now before the wheels arrive.

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks for the heads-up on the caps! I just checked the email they sent me and the quote includes caps. So we should be good to go
Thanks again

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Don't know if these are with or without the center hubs.
My Sendel wheels came without center hubs and I needed to order separately.
Best to check now before the wheels arrive.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I have read enough here to convince me to switch to Michelins.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Hi Terry:
I think its the way to go from what I read and i'm hoping I will be glad I did it.
That said, it will also be nice to stop spending $$ on the Airstream and finally get using it a little now that winter is starting to arrive....

By the way - Is there a general agreement on tire pressure that I should be running?

Thanks

Doug
Old 09-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #78
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
I ended up ordering a wheel by Allied Components #870-66060. Here is a screenshot on the spec's on it. (screenshot below)

At least my local supplier can get it for me and I need it very soon. We leave for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in a couple weeks, so getting this done is sort of under a bit of a time crunch. I'm told the new tires will be in tomorrow and the wheels by the end of the week. So I should be in good shape....
Thanks everyone for your help and input on this

Cheers
Doug
Good choice.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Doug

Funny, after all the agreement on the reliability of 16" Michelins, you would ask about tire pressure, where there is general disagreement. And for good reason if the Michelins are causing a rough ride for your Airstream.

The Airstream factory placard for 16" Michelin-equipped models is 80 psi. Many say that is too much, so the question is what is too little, the point where we might get sidewall "wobble" from sway forces. Or overheating in some climates.

I'm trying 70-75 psi next long trip for our Airstream as we load it (lightly) depending on where we are. A particularly rough road may have me letting a little air out, we'll see how it goes.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks for this Doug:

I was not aware that there was a difference of opinion on tire pressure. It will be fun to see if anyone else jumps in....
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Doug

Funny, after all the agreement on the reliability of 16" Michelins, you would ask about tire pressure, where there is general disagreement. And for good reason if the Michelins are causing a rough ride for your Airstream.

The Airstream factory placard for 16" Michelin-equipped models is 80 psi. Many say that is too much, so the question is what is too little, the point where we might get sidewall "wobble" from sway forces. Or overheating in some climates.

I'm trying 70-75 psi next long trip for our Airstream as we load it (lightly) depending on where we are. A particularly rough road may have me letting a little air out, we'll see how it goes.