Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Ormond beach , Florida
2015 Antenna

Anyone getting poor reception with their 2015 new type antenna? Ours is not nearly as good as our 2008 was.
Corkypoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have the same issue with our 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB. The new stationary "flying saucer" television antenna does not do nearly as well as the old crank-up antenna on our 2005 Safari 25FB.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I have found that there is a much larger sensitivity issue with different radios than different antennae. I haven't gotten around to doing anything with the original Motorola AM-FM radio/8-track, mainly because I have a couple of old portable radios (battery-operated, with AC cords too) kicking around. One even has an electronic tuner and CD player in it, but I found that the much older Pioneer one (AM-FM AC-DC cassette radio) has many times more sensitivity than the CD radio one.

They both worked, sitting in the TT on a shelf by the window, but I could literally get ten times more stations on the Pioneer.

And to bring the Pioneer into the 21st Century, I plugged a "media transmitter" into the 12V socket near the radio, and it now happily plays many hours of my CD collection in MP-3 format.

The "media transmitter" amounts to a unit with a 'cigar lighter' style main body on one end, and a small screen to display the activity, and a few controls on the other end. This one plays SD cards, USB drives, and has a stereo mini socket to play anything else connected to it. Cost me something like 6 bucks, including postage.

So, the media player runs on 12V, takes my music and allows me to select different songs (with a tiny remote control would you believe) then transmits it to my old Pioneer cassette radio in amazing fidelity on the FM band.

Someday, I WILL get around to rebuilding the old Motorola, but I'm in no rush just now.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:13 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Everyone is having television reception issues with the new flying saucer tv antenna.
Fix one problem (noisy air conditioner), anothe one crops up.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
I have a 2015 FC 20' and we still have a crank up that works great. The radio is a Clarion unit that also works for surround sound that works great. Do they typically have such a spread across the same line? I could see different in an International or Classic, but to have different stuff in a Flying Cloud seems strange...And we have no ducted air.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
The "flying saucer" Is a much cheaper device then the old wind up. It also sits lower then the AC unit and in general is not very good.

The general consensus is to upgrade it to something like the Jack King antenna

KING Jackâ„¢ with Mount & Built-in Signal Meter | KING Mobile Satellite Dish for RVs and Trucks

I intend to have this install the next time my AS is in for warranty work, which is about 2 weeks away!!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
The "flying saucer" Is a much cheaper device then the old wind up. It also sits lower then the AC unit and in general is not very good.

The general consensus is to upgrade it to something like the Jack King antenna

KING Jackâ„¢ with Mount & Built-in Signal Meter | KING Mobile Satellite Dish for RVs and Trucks

I intend to have this install the next time my AS is in for warranty work, which is about 2 weeks away!!

We are considering the same antenna upgrade. When you get your Jack King installed and tried out, please let us know how you like it.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Airstream should've gone with the Jack setup instead of their current choice.

Looking at some photos of 2015 roofs they mount the antenna centerline. If the Jack is installed you have to drill through the roof to the interior ceiling. Is the AC ducting in the way?

Kelvin
Old 07-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There is a decent comparison test out there by an engineer. I wouldn't bother with the Jack. The Wineguard Sensar is superior. For that matter my old Braund is probably better.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Ormond beach , Florida
This issue has really got me frosted. We are on our property we have been coming to for nine years with our other two Airstreams, '05 and '08. We got loads of stations with the crank up Wineguards and nothing with this new one and we are 90 miles from Chicago. Really disappointing. How they could put something like this on
the new ones is beyond me. It's a piece of crap. Sorry. Hope they make this good when we bring in for service at factory.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
There is a decent comparison test out there by an engineer. I wouldn't bother with the Jack. The Wineguard Sensar is superior. For that matter my old Braund is probably better.
I was considering the King Jack for our 2016 which is on order. Do you have a link for the comparison test? Others on this forum have recommended the King Jack, but I'm not to excited about drilling a larger hole in the roof of a new Airstream. Just wondering what other choices are available that would be easier to install.
Thanks, Sandy
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I came across it on a WOODALLS or IRV2 thread on this subject. Try Google.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Batman vs Batwing vs Jack: the results.

(Thread title on WOODALLS )
Old 07-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Airstream should've gone with the Jack setup instead of their current choice.

Looking at some photos of 2015 roofs they mount the antenna centerline. If the Jack is installed you have to drill through the roof to the interior ceiling. Is the AC ducting in the way?

Kelvin
Not if you place the Jack in the center of the roof. I have done 3 on '15 Airstreams and the ducting runs along the sides, not directly in the center of the trailer to allow for the installation of the skylights.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
I was just reading about a new antenna by Winegard called Rayzar's Edge to replace the batwing antenna on my rig. It sounds interesting - the article was in July issue of Trailer Life. Is anyone familiar with it?

Mark,
The path not taken is the one I take.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I read the technical comparison between the batwing and the Jack. What I find interesting is that 100% of the folks who have had the Jack installed when I remove the batwing for an additional solar panel have said that they get more channels, clearer channels with the Jack than anyone else in the campground that they are in.

Funny, but I don't even own a TV, let alone watch one. I am simply relaying the comments that my clients have sent me.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
My "Fly Swatter" Winegard works great. C'mon get the crank and get the swat! The Batwing's replacement, tuned to the new frequencies. They need to compare that to the Jack instead of the ole Batwing. I immediately got more stations. The Rayzars come in manual (those with cranks) and automatic (those without cranks) I cannot attest to the auto version but the manual version is an improvement over the Batwing. One immediate difference is half the turning as it is bi-directional. Here is the info:
http://www.winegard.com/rayzarair
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	242834  
Old 07-15-2015, 09:23 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I read the technical comparison between the batwing and the Jack. What I find interesting is that 100% of the folks who have had the Jack installed when I remove the batwing for an additional solar panel have said that they get more channels, clearer channels with the Jack than anyone else in the campground that they are in.

Funny, but I don't even own a TV, let alone watch one. I am simply relaying the comments that my clients have sent me.

Not to dispute the reports, but in what shape were the older antennas connectors and coax? A few years in Texas sun and nothing on the roof is in very good shape. A new antenna might not be the panacea it appears, nor would the difference in design account for putative improvement.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Ormond beach , Florida
Just wanted to share an update on my antenna issue. Had our 2015 FC
at Jackson Center Monday and had the antenna on my list. Not sure what they did but they took TV off the wall and checked it out and now I have 24 channels in my driveway! I am going to call tomorrow and see what they did...very, very pleased with their service. Great folks and enjoyed the tour. Nothing was done to antenna. I think maybe a loose connection in back of TV. Just wanted to take back my negative comments on the antenna. Works fine.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Please do let us know about that.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)