Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2015, 02:53 AM   #161
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Grosse Pointe Farms , Michigan
Awesome. Thanks.
AdvantageAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #162

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Odessa , Texas
Actual Measured Weight?

Hello,

New bunkhouse owners here and we couldn't be happier. We downsized from a large toy hauler and the functionality, storage and comfort of this unit is simply amazing.

Currently towing with a F350 from the toy hauler but looking to downsize. Does anyone have an actual measured weight and TW they can share for their bunkhouse?

Thanks in advance.

James M.
MartinFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #163
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
What's the benefit of the macerator toilet? I've never had one and not sure I understand the need. Also, if I'm completely without power can I flush?
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well - from what I gather - they added it because they wanted to relocate the black tank vs where it was in the 06 bunkhouse - and in doing so it was not a straight down shot I believe and you need to pump uphill a bit

Or something like that....someone else can clarify but it is a benefit I recall as less plumbing is exposed to damage?

Anyway - as far as I can tell there is no grand benefit to the macerater toilet - and yes - if you lose power then no toilet (although it does operate on batteries just fine)

Keep a small plunger with you in case - don't put ice down the toilet as some people do to clean the black tank

The macerater grinds up waste more making dumping I suppose a bit less complicated...

I wish I didn't have it - something else to brake in time - and it takes like holding the button for 8-10 seconds to fully flush solid waste and sometimes you need a bit of a second go at it

No big deal really though - I've heard of no problems with then so far really so perhaps it's worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:32 PM   #165
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Ok. That makes sense. Probably can use a smaller pipe to get around obstacles for the installation as well.

And yea, seems like no benefit to the end user.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:44 AM   #166

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
San Angelo , Texas
Martin Family...I just saw that you are in Odessa, Texas. We are actually considering an F350 to tow our 30' FB FC Bunk once we move back to Texas from Korea this summer. Can you please let me know why you don't want to keep your F350 for towing your new bunkhouse?
Dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #167

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Odessa , Texas
Dali - PM sent.

Anyone have any weights they can share?

James M.
MartinFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #168
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
My wife is intrigued by the Bunkhouse model. The shower seems larger than the other 30 ft models, and we could use the bunk area for additional storage. No kids, just us two. Does anyone else use the bunks for storage? We think maybe totes for light things or groceries up top and then a rod below for hanging clothes, especially winter jackets.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #169
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
We have a pile of kids and use the rear bunks, but I saw a guy online that removed the rear bunks and made a L shaped office back there. I think they added some drawers as well. It is alot of space and you are right the 30 bunk floorplan is hard to beat the function.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #170
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
Wow. What a neat idea!!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
2013+ Bunkhouse Owners Thread!

We carefully pack the top bunk with our outdoor gear (folding chairs , roll up tables etc..) 15 year old on the bottom bed. Tools, spares and equipment under the bottom bed. It is really great to have all the extra storage.

2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
We use the bunks fully for sleeping now - our 2 year old sleeps bottom now - no more darn pack n play - yay!!!! 4 year old son on top. Easy nap time - easy to sleep. Storage under the bottom bunk is great.

We do throw a few items sometimes on the bottom bunk while in transit - which can be very helpful

Old 02-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #173
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Help! We are packing up our 2015 Bunk to head to Florida from Michigan. The plan is to leave at 6AM tomorrow. 20 mins ago both the 110 and 12v systems shut down. Nothing works at all. I have tried to reset the GFI and nothing. Does anyone have any idea about what may be going on? We have only had the trailer for a two weeks and I have no clue about anything electrical.....
Old 02-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #174
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Never mind. I got it. I'm an idiot.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #175
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2+ Years , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvantageAir View Post
Never mind. I got it. I'm an idiot.
Oh now you have to tell us!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #176
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Sitting in my, as of a few hours ago, new to me 2014 Bunkhouse (bought used). Have to say it's a big difference from our now former 2014 25' FC rear twin. Some good some bad. Will report more later, but wanted to say an official hello.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #177
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2+ Years , Maine
Anyone found the solar prewire in front of the rear fan? It is nowhere to be seen by what I can tell. I know all about the small gauge wire but still trying to find it. Called Airstream and of course they said it should be tucked in the shroud.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #178
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Snoqualmie , Washington
Hello There! We are relatively new Airstreamers, and after a 2 week trip with the family (2 adults, 3 children) and our large dog (Bernese Mountain dog) over the Christmas holiday we decided to upgrade from a 25FB to the 30BH. During that two week trip with the family in the 25FB it became an interesting game of Tetris to make and unmake the kids beds/eating area several times a day (and honestly, we didn't need THAT big of a push to look at new Airstreams!). So far, we are loving almost everything about the BH, and are excited to be taking it out for our first trip this weekend!

My only complaint thus far with the BH is the (new to us) mascerating toilet - ours just doesn't seem to get the job done without using tremendous amounts of water - and usually still requires an assist from a cup of water poured around the rim of the bowl. Even with the greater capacity fresh water and black water tanks in the 30BH vs. the 25FB, we actually get LESS usable capacity because of this design. The flow to bowl seems VERY weak, and the very front of the bowl hardly even gets wet even after holding down the flush cycle for 10+ seconds. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

As for towing - we do notice a difference as well. We are pushing the towing capabilities with a newer Chevy Suburban with the maxed out towing package (basically a 1/2 ton pickup with the extra transmission cooler, better gear ratio, and beefier suspension - as Chevy seems to have stopped making them in 3/4 ton varieties). It does the job, but I wouldn't want to drive cross country or even across the bigger mountain passes too often with it. Is anyone else towing a 30BH with a 1/2 ton equivalent rig out there? What has your experience been?

I love reading the posts here - I'm learning a ton and really enjoy it - thanks everyone!
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #179
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
Hello There! We are relatively new Airstreamers, and ... we decided to upgrade from a 25FB to the 30BH.
Welcome! And same here. Except we went from a 25RB to the 30BH and I have 1 child and no dog (yet). Loving the extra space thus far.

Quote:
My only complaint thus far with the BH is the (new to us) mascerating toilet - ours just doesn't seem to get the job done without using tremendous amounts of water.
Are you losing water outside the trailer onto the ground? There is a bypass valve near the water pump that when open will dump water out of the trailer. Thanks to PharmGeek I closed mine and now all is well.

Quote:
Is anyone else towing a 30BH with a 1/2 ton equivalent rig out there? What has your experience been?
I have a 2012 F-150 with the 5.0 V8 and 3.55 rear. Rated for 7,700 lbs I think (have to double check). It has over 1600 lbs payload so I am good there. I towed the trailer home from Florida and was surprised how well the truck did. I was thinking of moving to a 3/4 ton but now I'm not so sure. If we stick to weekend trips and such the truck will probably be fine (it's relatively flat around here). Thing is, we are seriously considering selling the house and going full time. If we do, I will be looking at either an F150 with ecoboost and heavy duty payload or a 3/4 ton, maybe in diesel.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I would bet a few bucks that low point drain is open

Go outside behind the wheels just ahead if the dump valves - there will be a small PVC tube pointing staight down - have someone inside hold the flush button and watch water come out - if it does that's your problem -

The dealers winterize and leave it open - finding that valve is a trick - must find water pump - it's near it