Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #61
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Basset hounds, NOT Basest hounds! Aaarrgghh to spell check.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
2013 28' Flying Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehg View Post
The cupboard with the utensil drawers is kinda goofy and it does irritate to have to open the door and then slide out the drawer, but I only notice when we have the two of us in the kitchen area. Would greatly prefer just a drawer, but that alone wouldn't determine my trailer choice.

Search and you'll find a good thread on how people have addressed the lounge in the 28. In retrospect, I would have special ordered the couch option, the one that reclines to a bed. We still use ours to lounge with our two kids, and are investigating adding firmer foam, as the stock foam is not great. If we have the trailer in eight more years when the kids are off to college, we will look at either the sofa or recliners. There is advantage in having that space for an extra bed, coupled with the dinette bed, so maybe not recliners.

Again, if you have the chance and are ordering, the 28 is a great option to pair with the sofa, just be prepared to pay. Otherwise, especially with just one kid, I would look at the 27 much harder.

Thanks Dave, do you have anymore information (or can point to a thread) that describes/shows the factory couch option in a 28?
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
In the 28 isnt that converter box thingie on the floor under the shorter portion of the sofa next to the sink cabinet? If a sofa was installed where would they place that?
Thanks
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Thanks Dave, do you have anymore information (or can point to a thread) that describes/shows the factory couch option in a 28?

Anyone have info on the 28 factory couch option?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...r-94598-2.html

Here is the thread showing the recliner conversion, scroll down and you'll see the shelf they made to house the electronics. The 30' has a couch option, that's what I'd look at instead of the recliners, since we could use the extra sleeping space.
Lara Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks Dave, as a result of following your link I had a very valuable conversation with a forum member about the sofa/lounge conversion options as well as some unrelated trailer information.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting thread.....
Old 09-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
So, after grousing for a while about the uncomfy cushions on the L Lounge, my better half sought out some foam upgrades at the local foam store. We spec'd "2040" series foam, which was the firmest foam recommended by the shop for cushions that would double as a sleeper. We also did the dinette, and for both sets we did the seat and seat back cushions.

The bill was steep: about $850 for the lounge and dinette. I had no idea how expensive foam was. The dinettes used 5" foam, whereas the lounge was a mix of 4" for the seat and 5" for the seatback.

First impressions are extremely positive. The old foam was pretty cheap, about the lowest grade you can get. Sitting on the seats, it compressed down 3-4" in certain spots. It was like sitting on the wooden boards. I would bring along some Cabelas Deluxe camp mattress pads, which we unrolled to act as a topper on the lounge and dinette when made into a bed, and which were mandatory for comfort if we lounged long enough to watch a movie.

The new foam is super sturdy, compressing down only about an inch leaving 3-4" of foam left to sit on. No need for the Cabela's cushions just to sit and lounge, though we'll probably keep them for sleeping for added comfort for the boys.

I haven't spent much time on the upgraded cushions, but this weekend will be a good test. It still doesn't solve for the upright seating position in the lounge, but I like to lounge, not sit upright, so this might be a much easier alternative than the expensive sofa upgrade. Plus, get to keep the sleeping arrangements.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Back from a weekend trip, and the foam cushion upgrade was clearly evident. On the dinette, it made a huge difference as the foam is 5" thick. Very comfy to sit for a longer meal and not have your butt go numb.

On the lounge, an equally big difference. It didn't' transform the lounge into a sofa, but it did mean the difference between sitting enjoyably through a movie (in this case, the 2.5 hr Captain America) without squirming around and constantly shifting. Lounging is now actually enjoyable. My boys both commented that they slept better on the upgraded cushions.

So, provided you get the right firmness standard, and the right grade (this was 7yr foam, which means it would hold up to 7 years of daily use, not quite lifetime), then I can confidentially recommend this upgrade as a cost effective way to improve the comfort of the trailer.