Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Airstreams on eBay
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
1978 Argosy 26' - Your 2 cents welcome

Time for some last-minute thoughts on this Argosy!

I'm planning on bidding on this Argosy tonight. (DESPITE the fact that the seller is apparently too busy to respond to my request for my cousin to go out and look at it for me - unless he responds today and my cousin can go look at it tonight just before I bid.) and of course that makes me nervous, if there's some issue or damage that he didn't disclose, Ebay doesn't cover that under their purchase policy because the trailer is more than 10 years old.

But it does have a nice policy for getting my deposit/payments back if I a) never get the trailer or b) never get the title. And I'm hoping to get it for a bargain, so I have some wiggle room in my savings.

The pros of this trailer are:
A wood floor, a new stove, a pretty nice exterior, a clean-looking interior, a composting toilet, intact windows, my preferred layout and length, recently towed and ready to roll, intact frame, he says the plumbing works.
AND
Another great pro is that the trailer is located in a city where I have family that is experienced in buying/selling vehicles because he's a motorcycle enthusiast, and he has a truck and a property where he can put my trailer until I can drive up to get it.

The cons are:
That bowed door that he says closes/latches but needs adjustment, possible title weirdness, the fridge is electric only, the annoying lack of communication (he answered my first question about plumbing and the refrigerator!), missing propane tanks, that ugly couch in the front.

~~~

I'm just tired of shopping, and this is the closest I've gotten to what I want in quite a few months. The first overlander I looked at was near-original condition, but I didn't have $7k saved up. A ready-to-roll 30 ft Argosy caught my eye a couple months ago, but again, I didn't have the $6k they wanted and it sold to someone else. I may end up getting this one for less than $3k, but I'm thinking I'm willing to go a little higher as a max bid just in case.

This one is in my budget, it seems like most of the repairs needed are doable... it's a little younger than I was first going for, but I realized there are basically no trailers from before 1972 that don't need some sort of work on the frame and subfloor.

I want an Airstream in my yard, I want to start putting time and money into it and start planning on when I can start hitting Fan Conventions again! I've been living at home for a year, for the purpose of saving up for this very goal. It feels like the right time, this feels like the right trailer. I can see myself in it. I'm trying to hold back my fear and excitement. It's not a guaranteed thing. I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I just haven't spent this much money on anything since college tuition, but it makes me feel better than I'm not going to be spending ALL of my savings on it. (I'm also in the process of shopping for a tow vehicle, I have a buyer in the wings for my smaller SUV!)
Old 10-27-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
I also just discovered that insurance for a trailer is far cheaper than I though - for the plus plan I was quoted $300 for 12 months of coverage!
Old 10-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
lol NOPE not getting it for less than 3k. Apparently the last bidder has a high bid and somebody went to great lengths to find it but still hasn't beaten him.

Now I'm wondering what that high bid is and how much it would take to beat him. 4k? Do you think this camper is worth that?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
If you don't check it out first keep an open mind and maybe check book.
I bought mine going in blind but knew I was going to spend some major money.
1. I have never dealt with a sprung door but my understanding is it's not easy. Odds are it flew open on the highway. Which means it could be the door frame is bent.
2. Was there any sub-floor rot covered up by the new floor.
3. Most trailers from the 70's have some minor frame rot. Some have major.
4. Unless the axles have been replaced in the past, you will need new ones.
5. Why did the seller not title it when they bought it?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
In addition to what GeocamperAS said. Three K sounds high for one with a questionable refrigerator, sprung door, possible floor rot, and what looks like oil canning in the front. Not sure why that would be have never seen it there before, frame damage? I would not buy it without a close inspection all round. Just me. But then I have one to use and don't need a project.

If you wind up with it there are instructions on this site to deal with the door, and the other work that will need to be done.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
If you have a realistic view of the work effort and time it will take and you can take a few surprises then go for it. The Argosy is a great trailer and the owners pretty much seem to be highly devoted to the model. And pretty much anything can be fixed, straightened, or replaced.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Having a clear title will save you a lot of tears. Call your DMV before you jump. If this one gets away, there WILL be another one. Good deal included!
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Studying the photo,, the axles seem to be sitting higher than most that are over due for a axle set.. If there is space between the top of the rim and wheel well there is life left in the axles.

The door looks like it blew open going down the road at 67mph,, if not more.. I myself have never worked on one but I think with careful tension in all the right spots it might be talked back into shape again with a little thicker door gasket..

The dent in the front looks more like a miss hap than any body or frame issue. For anything under $5000,,, if the floor is solid I would sure spend the money if its what you want. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
Mods, I put this post in two places (the other being here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...me-142930.html )

I don't mind if this one gets deleted, just so it's easier for me to see everyone's comments on one thread instead of two. I already took the verbage from the existing comments and preserved them on the other thread. Thanks!