Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
What is your favorite dish when airstreaming?

In the past we have always found a restaurant when traveling, and the grill when we are set up at a site. That gets expensive when the kids (ages 2 & 3) don't want what they asked for when ordering and say "I'm hungry" an hour after we leave the restaurant.

This year we will be taking along something to eat at a pull off with a restroom and skip the restaurants. (ie: lunch meats, chicken salad, veggies, drinks in a cooler, etc)

When we are set up at the site we tend to do the regular burgers, bacon, pork, hot dogs, etc on the grill or campfire and maybe a couple quick kid friendly sides that can be nuked or takes little time on the stove as not to heat up the AS too much.

A favorite dessert of ours is apple cobbler in a dutch oven cooked low & slow!! Maybe this year we can take the ice cream maker along for home made ice cream to go along with!!

What are some of your favorites when traveling and when set up?
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Lobster tails on the grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120521_101038.png
Views:	173
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	158895  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
In summer it's hot dogs & watermelon or anything BBQ'd.

We always travel with a supply of Black Forrest ham chips and cherry turnovers for lunch and breakfast.

In Winter it's something something BBQ'd and stew or beans. Usually beans as they warm you twice.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We eat the usual rabbit food in the rig. And then look forward to the next place where they've got either green chili cheeseburgers or Indian tacos!

Lynn
Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
quick and cool. everything is prepped and is in containers or bags. heat the beans then build your taco. leftovers get thrown in an omelet! ( for the kiddies, use a Pita pocket and only open a small hole! You can also fill pita with cheese and sauce and etc . warm on micro!) container eating!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02701.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	158901  
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sandwich when on the road and usually a nice steak on the grill. Last weekend I took 10 lbs of crawfish and boiled them up with some new potatoes and a couple of ears of fresh corn on the cob. Now that was a feast.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Emeril's Favorite Cabbage in the Dutch oven. Folks request that I cook it at rally pot-lucks.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Anything that is a simple, one-dish, complete meal with a side of fruit, raw veggies or salad.

Many on-the-road meals use rice or beans of some sort, and frequently are freshly cooked but partly a convenience food such as canned beans, a rice mix or frozen pulled pork we have brought from home.

In hot weather, a Greek pasta salad with lots of veggies and feta cheese is cool and quick.

We keep singly wrapped chicken breasts, half pounds of lean ground beef, ham steaks and turkey breakfast sausage in our little freezer.

We save more complex meals for when we are parked for a few days with electricity, when we pull out the slow cooker and do Swiss steak, pot roast, etc., to satisfy Doug-the-carnivore. Without beef for too many days, he gets crabby.

And, a refrigerated loaf of French bread or simple cobbler bakes up nicely in our little Dutch oven, to perk up and round out leftovers or soup.

Maggie
Old 05-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Awwww, favorite meal while camping. That's a hard one. On the last trip we had fresh caught trout. Yum!

Steaks and tators come to mind.
So does a low country boil.
Breakfast is especially yummy when camping. The smell of bacon cooking, the g-daughter dishing up her pancakes with chocolate syrup and whip cream.....or biscuits and gravy.

So many possibilities, so little time.

Ohhh, ribs!!!

And..........
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
DirecTV

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just kiddin'....it's my wife!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
My wife always precooks main dishes. She will freeze them if we are going on a long trips. Spaghetti, chili, roast chicken, enchiladas, grilled pork chops, etc. When ready for dinner we will have a fresh salad, bread and maybe a side dish. She heats the food in the microwave on the plastic dinner plates. It is quick,delicious, no pots and pans to wash and doesn't take too much time away from more important activities such as relaxing. We do try to have one nice restaurant meal on each trip if there is something close by that we like.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
When we take our granddaughters with us, we stock Ramen Noodle Cups, vending-machine snack packs of cookies, peanut butter/cheese crackers, peanuts, almonds, etc., all from Costco. Also, cheese sticks make great rollups using thin deli-sliced ham or turkey. Plus, the kids have fun making these themselves.

Since we're on vacation, we don't worry about these items not being what adults consider healthy or "regular" food. It's only for a few days; and it's really convenient when you pull into a camp spot late at night and everybody's tired, or one person is hungry and everyone else isn't.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I also make up dishes ahead and freeze, spagetti sauce, enchilladas, meatloaf, casseroles, twice baked potatoes & more. We mostly BBQ a whole array of things, steaks, chicken, ribs, beef & salmon burgers, etc. Have started premaking taco meat & freeze that, we then have tacos on our final night, that way we can pack up the BBQ and not have to wait for it to cool down.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Travlin' small

We like to start out every trip with something to simply reheat the first or second night out, waiting in the frig to pop into the microwave. It may come from the freezer or be planned-overs from a recent meal.

Our favorite receptacle for these meals are seal-a-meal bags, which can be simply thrown away and no extra dishes. They take up only the space of what's in them, as well.

If you have a small frig and smaller freezer, like ours, there isn't room to carry precooked meals. And, traveling for up to 12 weeks at a time, better for us to have meats in the freezer that can be turned into a one dish meal that will feed us twice in most cases.

We also like to always keep a large baking potato or two on hand, as one of those fried with a bit of onion and a couple of eggs is a quick and easy breakfast or dinner that satisfies the hubby. Always important to keep hubbies happy. Mine likes his potatoes.

Maggie
Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
As we're both still employed full time and consider ourselves 'weekenders', I think we actually eat better meals when we camp than during the week at home. There's no rush to throw something on the table, there's more time to make something unusual that maybe takes a bit more preparation. I scavenge the food magazines for meals, so it's a regular 'cuisine in the stream' for us ... and we use the same rule at home, whoever cooks does not do dishes Wendy
Old 05-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamRollin View Post
As we're both still employed full time and consider ourselves 'weekenders', I think we actually eat better meals when we camp than during the week at home. There's no rush to throw something on the table, there's more time to make something unusual that maybe takes a bit more preparation. I scavenge the food magazines for meals, so it's a regular 'cuisine in the stream' for us ... and we use the same rule at home, whoever cooks does not do dishes Wendy
Yep, that's what we did when it was long weekends----steaks, lobster, filet mignon, stuffed baked potatoes, a little wine......mmmm.

Gourmet meals, cooked and enjoyed outdoors. Life is good.

Maggie
Old 05-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona

please, please everyone, be careful of microwaving plastic!!!

Take a pyrex or microwave safe glass - or even paper - to microwave. Corelle says it's microwave safe, but plastics are not.

Chemicals leak out and are very unhealthy. You can research on the internet.
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
When we are looking for a real treat it is simple bacon and eggs for breakfast. No idea why this very basic meal looks, smells and tastes so much better when it is cooked outdoors at the campsite .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

A 10lb dish of Homemade Lasagna, always better after it cures in the fridge.
Bread, wine, Honey Brown and Blue Moon.

Bob