Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Traveling in Canada is easier because the restaurants there are better than in many parts of the US. While traveling we look for really good restaurants because we love eating out too, but in some places, none are to be found.

Gene

Interesting observation. I have found just the opposite in Canada except around population centers. Very few veggies, lots of meat and starch... but back to the topic or recipes.. here's my favorite pasta dish:

1 large Eggplant washed and diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 C red wine
4 cloves garlic diced
1/3 c stuffed green olives, diced
3 T capers, diced
1/8 (or more to taste) tsp red pepper flakes
black pepper
olive oil

2 Cups fresh basil (chiffonade), divided

1 Lb pasta

Saute the eggplant in oil until soft. When soft, stir in all other ingredients and 1 cup of the basil. Clap on a lid and cook for 10 minutes. Cook pasta until al dente and drain.

To serve: Using tongs, take one serving of pasta and drop it into the pan of hot sauce. Turn noodles over until coated and then place then in individual serving bowl/plate with a little extra sauce on top. Top with some fresh basil and a little reggiano Parmesan. Repeat for each serving.

Serve this with a simple side salad of mixed greens, sliced radishes and some white beans in a vinaigrette

Click image for larger version

Name:	pasta.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	154358

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
In a past life I was vegetarian, and have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years now, on the recommendation of my allergenist (head Allergy and Immunology teaching doc at UCSF). Ditching gluten has been a silver bullet for me, and I've found some awesome alternatives. I've been using Gluten Free Pantry brand flour, and have taken to making it myself- there is nothing weird in it, so I feel okay using it, and it makes super baked goods. I've also made bread recipes from this site

gluten-free bread

which have been super. So many gluten free products are truly awful, and I felt like I was being made to suffer because I couldn't eat gluten. We tend to eat towards the less meat end, small portions as a flavor or garnish rather than the main event.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I've also been practicing with vegetable side dishes, and this one is a favorite:

Broccoli in orange sauce

8" head of broccoli, cut stems so florets are 1" across. Stems can be peeled and sliced to 1/4", and used raw in salad.

3T orange juice (from fresh oranges, takes one usually)

2 cloves garlic, minced (I'd use more. A lot more)

1/8t red pepper flakes (again, I'd use more, but some people are very sensitive and a pinch may be enough. If using the pinch method, remember to wash your hands before accidentally rubbing your peppery finger in an eye)

saute to reduce the juice by half and thicken but don't let it solidify. Scrape the pan and set aside.

3T orange juice again, in the pan. On low heat, toss the broccoli until coated and allow to steam. You may need to add a little more juice or water, it's mostly to get the juice to reduce and steam the broccoli. When done, toss with the reserved garlic/pepper/orange mixture. this is a heart-smart recipe, so no oil or salt is called for, but you can of course adjust as necessary. I find the important thing is always using fresh orange juice in any recipe that calls for orange.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Globie, thanks for sharing that. Some people may not be gluten intolerant, but gluten stimulates their appetite. That's my problem!

These are great recipes and ideas, all!

For those who are trying to avoid pasta but want to try those sauces, try ribbons of zucchini slightly blanched as a faux "pasta."

I have a friend who eats "raw." Now, that's one alternative that just does not warm my soul, literally and figuratively - especially in the middle of a Canadian winter!

However, the idea of raw baking is intriguing, especially when on the road. No worries about slaving over a hot trailer oven in the summer - and just think of all the propane you'll save. Found some recipes for raw carrot cake. Boy, do they sound good, although I am going to stick to the traditional cream-cheese frosting.

Raw Cake - Recipe for Dairy Free Carrot Cake - Raw Carrot Cake Recipe - Dairy-Free Cakes

I think I like this recipe the best - spicier filling...
Two Blue Lemons: Raw Carrot Cake
Old 03-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to chromis
Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe

Ingredients:
16 oz. Dark chocolate or good quality dark/unsweetened chips..
1/2 cup organic light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup organic white cane sugar
3/4 cup very hot strong coffee
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons unsweetened organic cocoa powder (optional depends on quality of chocolate.. )
8 large organic free-range eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla extract- yes, a tablespoon!

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 10-cup Springform pan by lining the bottom with buttered parchment

Break up the dark chocolate into pieces and pour the chocolate into the bowl of the food processor. Pulse until the chocolate breaks up into small bits. Add the sugar. Pulse until the chocolate and sugar turns into an even, sandy grain.

Pour the hot water or coffee slowly into the feed tube as you pulse again. Pulse until the chocolate is melted. Magic!

Add the butter pieces and the cocoa powder, and pulse to combine. Add the eggs and vanilla, and process till smooth. The batter will be liquid and creamy.

Pour the batter into the lined Springform pan. Wrap the outside of the whole pan with a big piece of foil. Bake at 350º F in the center of the oven, till puffed and cracked and lovely - about 55 to 65 minutes. (Note - it took an hour plus 15 minutes when I baked this at high altitude.) Use a wooden toothpick to check the center of the cake; pick should emerge clean, with maybe a crumb.

Place the cake pan on a wire rack to cool. The cake will deflate. Don't worry! When cooled a bit, press down on it gently with a spatula to make it even, if you wish. Or not.

When the cake is completely cooled, cover, and chill it for at least three hours (best up to eight hours), until serving. Overnight is even better.
Serve thin slices with drizzled chocolate sauce or a sprinkle of sifted powdered sugar. Garnish with a fresh berries or mint leaves.

Yield: 15 slices
Old 03-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
If you are looking for a quick meal fix (microwavable) for vegetarian, some of them are even vegan, look for Amy's frozen dinners.
I have bought those a number of times (I am vegetarian), and recently I've been disappointed. The last couple of times I have bought my favourite item from Amy's (the veggie pot pie) they have been sluggish to cook all the way to the centre, and tasted somewhat bland.

This in a pot pie that is $4.29 for a single serving is not acceptable; they are off my list.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I make my own pot pie, great for using up leftovers, and as a famous food person once said to me "if someone has a half an hour to waste on a re-run of friends, they have a half an hour to make something from scratch". I roast a chicken in a pan with root vegetables and a half inch of white wine. After a meal or two, the carcass is picked clean, the leftover veggies and chicken are mixed with a sauce from the pan gelee and it goes into a buckwheat pie crust. It's rather good and serves the two of use for several days.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Gene..no way no how.

I have been on the Atkins diet for close to 3 years..all meat..fatty greasy meat also....good stuff along with eggs and tons of pork rinds and cheeses!

I figured I needed to go checked...blood work from a heart Dr. I also asked them for a stress test.....passed.

Well, my cholesterol was outstanding and so was all my blood work. The Dr said to keep on doing what I'm doing.

Maybe good jeans.

Plus,..I Live in Texas.

BEEF, it's what's for dinner!

The starch is for my wife.

Fish is good also....

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Hey Shane, you're a genetic rarity!
There was a guy in Supersize Me who claimed to have eaten 10,000 big macs and his cholesterol was great.
Unfortunately, that doesn't work for the vast majority of people as their plumbing get clogged up. They end up with stents, bypasses and Lipitor, all of which just temporarily solve the problem.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromis View Post
Ingredients:
16 oz. Dark chocolate or good quality dark/unsweetened chips..
1/2 cup organic light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup organic white cane sugar
3/4 cup very hot strong coffee
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons unsweetened organic cocoa powder (optional depends on quality of chocolate.. )
8 large organic free-range eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla extract- yes, a tablespoon!

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 10-cup Springform pan by lining the bottom with buttered parchment

Break up the dark chocolate into pieces and pour the chocolate into the bowl of the food processor. Pulse until the chocolate breaks up into small bits. Add the sugar. Pulse until the chocolate and sugar turns into an even, sandy grain.

Pour the hot water or coffee slowly into the feed tube as you pulse again. Pulse until the chocolate is melted. Magic!

Add the butter pieces and the cocoa powder, and pulse to combine. Add the eggs and vanilla, and process till smooth. The batter will be liquid and creamy.

Pour the batter into the lined Springform pan. Wrap the outside of the whole pan with a big piece of foil. Bake at 350º F in the center of the oven, till puffed and cracked and lovely - about 55 to 65 minutes. (Note - it took an hour plus 15 minutes when I baked this at high altitude.) Use a wooden toothpick to check the center of the cake; pick should emerge clean, with maybe a crumb.

Place the cake pan on a wire rack to cool. The cake will deflate. Don't worry! When cooled a bit, press down on it gently with a spatula to make it even, if you wish. Or not.

When the cake is completely cooled, cover, and chill it for at least three hours (best up to eight hours), until serving. Overnight is even better.
Serve thin slices with drizzled chocolate sauce or a sprinkle of sifted powdered sugar. Garnish with a fresh berries or mint leaves.

Yield: 15 slices
Okay, this sounds AMAZING !!!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #25

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I gave it up over two years ago and have never felt better! That Atkins diet is a heart attack waiting to happen IMO but to each their own. I feel better and don't miss it one bit, my other half still eats meat occasionally but if I'm cooking then it's going to be vegetarian. If you get a craving for meat I made this recipe and both Zell and I loved it. It's good on salads, rice, quinoa etc. very yummy.

Italian Tempeh Nuggets

1 tbsp of olive oil
2 1/2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (I use reduce sodium)
2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes I added more
1 tsp of dried thyme
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp of dried rosemary crushed

Cut tempeh into cubes
Combine marinade ingredients in a container with a lid (stir)
Add tempeh, cover and shake it
Place in refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight
Remember to shake it occasionally to keep the tempeh coated
In a large skillet heat med to med low heat
Add tempeh and liquid and cook until caramelized ( I raised the heat after 10 min to make it a bit more crispy
Serve immediately.

Enjoy. And remember to always eat your veggies!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #26
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
You guys know..I used the word jeans,..instead of genes on purpose....

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #27

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208
Hey Shane, you're a genetic rarity!
There was a guy in Supersize Me who claimed to have eaten 10,000 big macs and his cholesterol was great.
Unfortunately, that doesn't work for the vast majority of people as their plumbing get clogged up. They end up with stents, bypasses and Lipitor, all of which just temporarily solve the problem.
But he also got fat and was full of acne and tired all the time.

http://www.vivavegie.org/101book/tex...upersizeme.htm
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
The science behind it

If you want to know the science behind the connection between our health and our diet, get the books...."The China Study" and the how to guide "Engine 2 Diet".....some overweight/high blood pressure Texas firemen went on a vegan diet for 28 days and cooked delicious alternatives to meat and dairy meals for 28 days and had remarkable results. This book tells you how to do shop and gives recipes for cooking delicious filling meals that the firemen would eat.....google them for more info.

The China Study by T Colin Campbell goes into the science behind the western diets and the western diseases....there are actually cultures where the men have zero incidence of prostate cancer......and, guess what, they have a plant based diet (fresh not processed).....the farther one goes from a plant based diet, the higher the incidence of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer.....statistically speaking.

At any rate, it is food for thought---IMHO. paula

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote