Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #201
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
So true. After being privy to a few episodes of Kitchen Nightmares,
the clean and shiny AS kitchen looks awfully inviting!

Absolutely. Having our own food and being able to prepare it was a big selling point to me about an RV. We used to bring a lot of food with us, have to keep finding motels with fridges and zappers and have a big cooler and keep re-freezing the gel packs. That was a pain.

But we still love to go out to eat, but now we can look for fine dining places and eat new stuff. My wife is excellent at figuring out new recipes from such experiences. And breakfast out is fun, but finding a decent place can be a challenge. The phrase "greasy spoon" describes a lot of US breakfast places—the spoons aren't greasy, but the eggs and potatoes swim in it.

In our experience (49 states and in Canada, 10 provinces and 2 territories), Canadian restaurants are better than US ones and is one reason we enjoy our trips north. The best large restaurant chain we have found is Canada's Boston Pizza, but the US stores (Boston's) are not nearly as good because they've Americanized the food.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #202
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I doubt that would work for the strict vegan—the cheese will have rennet, the grill will have been used for meat and eggs aren't vegan either.
Of course, I know that many restaurants I go to are using lard and who knows what they put in Chinese food? A lot of their broth is chicken based. I almost sampled a crab cake Barb ordered yesterday, but I held back. Maybe if she'd had more than one, I'd have succumbed. If she ever orders a bagel with cream cheese and lox I'm a goner.

Gene
We've given up eating out..We did with Vinnie and Carli and Dan and Irene in the States ..But over here we don't do it..
Having owned my own Vegetarian Cafe and Mobile unit I used to see how filthy other units and cafes were..ours was spotless..
Before I got really finnicky..
Hans parked outside a well known sandwich shop in London
I ran in ..just in time to catch the chap behind the counter wriggling his hand down his trousers..he asked if he could help and I said yes..
"you stop scratching your nuts for a start"...needless to say I left ..
....sandwichless...
The Very Last time we went for a meal in England I asked the waitress what the stock was made of..she asked me what stock was ...gave up

Sunday...so far from home ..no choice..
Called into Costa for a Latte the girl asked me if Id like milk in it ..
then I asked for a Soya Latte and she gave me a Black Coffee...
Next Place..
We were so hungry..most places closed...cant go wrong with chips..
I asked the fryer at a takeaway what the chips were fried in..just in case they used Lard.. and he said.ta da.....a machine...
After seeing the Ramsey clip I don't feel such a kill joy
not taking a risk of some dirty dope killing me and instead munching in the Airstream..
I know where my hands have been ..its clean..its healthier and cheaper ..
TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #203
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I know how bad restaurant kitchens can be. I try not to look. In our county the health dep't has been told not to do much by the commissioners who don't want any regulations, so eating here is risk, and I suspect it is in many parts of rural America.

We are told that something like 48,000,000 people get food borne illnesses in the US annually (3,000 deaths), but I don't know how many are from restaurants. Bags of salad fixings at supermarkets are notorious for problems.

I restrict myself mostly to Mexican, Italian and Asian restaurants. If we find a "fine dining" restaurant they usually have several veggie options. But in some places, the idea that meat isn't in a dish means you are poor, so there may be no options. And in some Italian restaurants, the only option is pasta primavera—I like that dish, but don't want to order it every time. I could ask them to hold the meat on some dishes, but I still have to pay for it and it is usually the most expensive ingredient.

Gene

Old 08-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Ughh....over 150 have become ill after eating a cronut burger (a croissant-donut hybrid) at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) due to a bacterial toxin in the meat.

I wonder if those taken ill will ever be able to look at any kind of hamburger again?

Anyway, tonight's vegetarian and gluten-free meal was canned Marinara sauce on spaghetti squash. A simple no-fuss dinner, but it was good.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #205
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
I have some great vegan recipes, including vegan mac & "cheese." No kidding, it is very good! Even my husband likes it, and that is saying a lot. I will post that one later, but for now here is one of my favorites for the cooler months: Basic Lentil Soup - a savory and delicious comfort food, healthy, and very easy to make. I freeze the extra portions in freezer-proof mason jars (the 16 oz. wide-mouth kind). One 16 oz. mason jar equals one decent sized portion, or two rather small portions or "side" dishes.

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp good olive oil
1 large onion, peeled & chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped (I like to de-string the celery, but it's not necessary)
6 cups vegetable broth, or good water
1-1/2 cups dry lentils, rinsed and drained (I use green lentils)
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3 whole bay leaves
Sea salt to taste
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)

Preparation:

In a large pot, sautee the chopped onion, carrots and celery in olive oil for 3-5 minutes, until the onions are transparent.

Add the vegetable broth (or water), lentils, pepper, thyme, whole bay leaves and salt.

Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until the lentils are soft, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Adjust water and seasonings if needed, remove the 3 bay leaves, turn off the heat, and stir in the lemon juice before serving.

Great with salad, good bread, or by all by itself.
streaminlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #206
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Here is another recipe I like a lot: Pasta with Puttanesca Sauce. For those sensitive to wheat, gluten free rice pasta works well with this recipe, but I have found some brands tend to be rubbery in texture, whereas others have a very good texture that rivals regular wheat pasta. I wish I could remember which brand is the good one! Darn, and I don't have any on hand either. This recipe makes a lot. You could halve the recipe, or make the whole thing and freeze the leftovers for another time.

Preparation time: 30 minutes; cook time 1 hour

Ingredients:

1/4 cup good olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 large (28 oz.) cans Roma plum tomatoes, broken into pieces with juice (I like the Eden Organics brand, but any brand will do just fine)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2/3 to 1 cup Kalamata (Greek) olives, depending on how much you like them, pitted and halved
2 Tbsp drained capers
1/2 tsp dried crushed basil
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
Sea salt to taste

1 pound penne or spiral pasta, cooked al dente

Preparation:

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and lightly caramelized, about 6 minutes or so. Add the garlic and cook for an additional two minutes (avoid burning the garlic). Add the tomatoes (with juice), tomato paste, Kalamata olives, capers, basil, red pepper flakes, and sea salt. Simmer until the sauce is thickened and slightly reduced, about 40 minutes. Adjust seasonings as needed, cover, and set aside. This is when I make the pasta, but it can be made ahead of time as well.

Add the cooked pasta to the pan of sauce, and toss for 1 full minute.

Good with Parmesan cheese grated on top, or plain.

Serve & enjoy!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #207
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
An easy, tasty and healthy vegetarian/vegan soup that freezes well. The red chili flakes add a spicy kick.

Tuscan Style Pinto Bean Soup with Kale

Serves 8

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cups dried pinto beans, rinsed and soaked overnight; then simmered for 1 hour or until tender but not falling apart. SUBSTITUTE: 2 cans pinto beans. Lightly mash a few of the beans with a fork or potato masher. Set beans aside.

2 Tbsp olive oil
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 1 tsp dried red chili flakes, or more to taste
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 to 1 head curly green kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
2 cups vegetable stock plus 4-6 cups water, depending on how thick you want the soup
2 tsp or more sea salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3-4 slices of stale or lightly toasted Italian or Ciabatta bread (or bread of your choice), cut into crouton-sized pieces

Preparation:

1. Heal oil in large pot over medium heat. Toss in the celery, carrot, onion, garlic and chili flakes and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to caramelize, about 10-12 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until they are slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the beans and kale; add the vegetable stock and 4-5 cups of the water. Bring to a low boil; then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the kale is tender, about 25-30 minutes. Add more water if desired.
4. Remove from heat and season with salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper. Serve hot and scatter with croutons. OPTIONAL GARNISH: Grated Parmesan cheese.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #208
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
streamin, will try that Putanesca sauce. I have another recipe for Putanesca from as an old Italian friend who shared some of his grandmother's recipes.

This video always reminds me of his grandparents' story.....

Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #209
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
I think it would be hard to beat an old Italian grandmother's recipe! My husband has made the Puttanesca sauce from scratch with fresh Roma tomatoes - it is outstanding. He also makes fresh pasta from scratch, and after that experience it has been difficult to go back to the dried pasta from a package. The fresh pasta may be a bit messy to make in an Airstream, but a big batch could be made ahead of time and then frozen. All of this talk is making me hungry for fresh pasta and "gravy." Thanks for sharing the video, enjoyed that very much.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
It seems every restaurant boasts about their "signature dish."

I would have to say the FaN's signature on-the-road dish is garlic-lime chicken.
It is my favourite first-night camping meal too. I marinate chicken in fresh garlic, True Lime flavour crystals, and olive oil. I pack it in a Ziploc bag, surrounded by ice packs, and place in fridge crisper. As we're going down the road, I like to dream about that night's dinner, wiggling and jiggling in its marinade. Great on stix or in a taco.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yum.

Maggie
Old 06-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #212
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Might be good with crusty tofu or tempeh.

Gene

Old 06-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #213
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I agree, Gene. That would be a good marinade for tofu.

Sent from my HTCONE using Airstream Forums mobile app

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #214
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
It does work well as a tofu marinade. Been marinating a lot of tofu "steaks" lately.
Hint* Score the tofu with a sharp knife. Helps the marinade infiltrate the tofu.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #215
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Somewhere , Mostly California
On the subject of great vegetarian/vegan dishes, here is one of mine:

Pasta with Fresh Basil and Farmer’s Market Tomatoes
Serves 2 with leftovers

Ingredients
1 pound (about 3 large ripe or 6-8 small) tomatoes (heirlooms are best)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme or more to taste
a few basil leaves (no stem) rolled into a ball and sliced thinly
Pinch of chili flakes
1 teaspoon honey or sweetener
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, Romano, or for non-dairy, 1/4 cup of Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast Seasoning (tastes cheesy)
Salt and pepper
Pasta for two (about 1/2 pound) I use angel hair

You’ll need:
Big pot
Saute pan
Slotted spoon
Water
Knife
20 minutes prep time - serves 2 with some leftovers

Procedure
Rinse off tomatoes of any grit, cut a small X in the bottom of each one, drop them into a large pot of boiling water to blanch them for 1-2 minutes depending on size. Remove with slotted spoon or tongs to bowl of cold water. When cool, squeeze out the pulp of each tomato and reserve.

In a saute pan over medium high heat, add olive oil, add garlic and onions, saute for 2 minutes. Add the thyme, most of the basil (reserve a few sprigs for garnish), salt and pepper to taste, and chili flakes, sauteeing the mixture until the garlic turns light golden brown.

Add the tomato pulp and the honey, lowering the heat and cooking slowly for about 15 minutes. Let it reduce til slightly dry.

While tomatoes are cooking slowly, boil another pot of water and cook the pasta according to directions.

Drain pasta, top with tomato mixture, serve with any other vegetable you’d like. Bright green broccoli makes a nice contrast and could have been boiled in the same pot you first put the tomatoes into! (My boiling vegetables rule is -- as soon as you can smell the vegetable cooking, it’s done! Take it out of the water and pop it into a cool water bath to stop the cooking. It should be green and al dente.)

Serve with generous spoonfuls of parmesan or Bragg’s nutritional yeast topping and garnish with basil sprigs.
wendywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #216
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
Little Vegan Airstream Kitchen

I am SOOO happy to see this thread on here!

My boys and I are hitting the road on July 27th for a year. As we explore the US, we will be hosting pop up Vegan Cooking workshops for anyone who is interested. No proselytizing. Just sharing great food that is animal free.

You can follow us on little_vegan_airstream_kitchen on instagram to find out where we are and to come see us wherever we are demonstrating.

In the meantime, here's my contribution to the recipe files for fellow airstreamers! Adding vegan dishes to your dinner table is SO easy.

Kale with cranberries & lemon dressing

1 bunch kale stems trimmed and large ribs removed
1/3 c veganaise
juice from half a lemon
olive oil

Optional: Pepitas, sesame seeds, pine nuts, cranberries, currants

Cut or break kale into small pieces.
Add 1 T olive oil and rub the kale until it turns bright green.

Mix together veganaise with lemon juice, stirring until combined. Add to the kale and mix it up.

Add the additions of your choice.

Enjoy and bon appetit!

KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Saw this on the food channel, and tried the tomato version tonight. Comforting and dead easy. Would be a great on-the-road meal too.

Grilled cheese with tomato dipping sauce:
Make your favourite grilled cheddar cheese sandwich, open a can of tomato soup (do not dilute) and heat. Cut the sandwich into fingers and dip away.

This one is more gourmet:
Grilled Brie/Camembert with mushroom dipping sauce.

Make a grilled brie or camembert sandwich, open a can of mushroom soup (do not dilute) but add a splash of sherry and heat. Cut the sandwich into fingers and dip away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grilled cheese soup dip.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	278755  
Old 01-26-2017, 04:12 AM   #218
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That looks yummy, FaN!

There's just something about grilled cheese...

Maggie
Old 07-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #219
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
The Incredible Carrot Dog

Peel a medium-sized carrot. Cut both ends so it's about the size of a weiner. Score slash marks up and down your "weiner" with a knife.

Marinate in oil, garlic/onion powder, pepper, balsamic vinegar and liquid smoke overnight.

Grill or pan fry until the carrot is soft and the outside slightly charred. (Baste with leftover marinade).

Plunk in a bun with all your favourite condiments.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #220
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Wow. It's so crazy it might just work.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote