Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Agree with the gist of what your wrote, Gene.

Better choices can be made, regardless of whether or not one is a vegetarian.

I knew a vegetarian who also ate a lot of crap - packaged baked goods etc. He was ingesting more bad fat than a meat eater. Most vegetarians are not like that, though.

Anyway, sushi, like vegetarianism, is often misunderstood. People tend to think it consists of raw fish. There are more vegetable and cooked options than raw (fish).

I haven't attempted to make a sushi roll (yet) but was craving the flavours, so made a sushi salad utilizing many of the ingredients you will find in non raw-fish options like cooked crab, avocado, celery, carrot, rice, nori (dried seaweed), pickled ginger, and wasabi (Japanese horseradish). The dressing is low-sodium soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. This salad can be made ahead, so would be good to take along on the next Airstream adventure (especially if you have one of those fancy new Zen interiors that comes with the Serenity model!)

Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #142
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
that salad looks awesome!

Gene, I agree with all of what you said. Less meat, in general, is a good thing. I had been hoping this horse meat scandal would open folks' eyes and make them care more about where their food comes from. But most people either don't care or won't believe.

When we told our new neighbor about our intentions of organic farming, he inquired as to "Why". We talked a bit about GMO's (Genetically engineered food) and he said "oh we don't do that sort of thing around HERE". That was funny to me, because most of the food at the grocery store is far from 'local'. veggies grown in CA and mexico and south america, and wheat and soy and corn grown GMO in the midwest. 90% of your food is genetically modified to resist roundup; they spray it all with weed killer, then you eat it.

Organic food isn't EXPENSIVE; conventional food is just "CHEAP".

look at our spending on food in the 1950's VS today (well 2008)

From http://www.bls.gov/opub/uscs/1950.pdf

Apparently we used to value food and clothing. today... not so much.

----------
On a separate note, as an argument for being vegetarian.. we raised pigs this year, on pasture. Each pig ate 1,000 lbs of grain, and hundreds more pounds of produce. each pig produced just over 100 lbs of meat "in the package". this means for 1 lb of meat we got, it took 10lb of grain and probably 3 -5 lb of produce to make.

the energy and protein of the grain and produce itself could feed you so much more efficiently than pork...it's unbelievable.

Want to feed the starving people in africa? Become vegetarian!

Old 03-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The irony of American processed foods is that when you cross the border into the US from Canada the border guards seems to be more interested about the fruit you have than anything else. I guess fruit in Canada must be imported from somewhere that uses plutonium as fertilizer.

Gene
Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
I guess fruit in Canada must be imported from somewhere that uses plutonium as fertilizer.
We used to, but found something better; the manure from all the bulls grazing on Parliament Hill. Our fruit now grows so big that people find all kinds of uses for them.

Meanwhile, back at the Airstream ranch, I've been busy making the ultimate comfort food - vegetarian or not - potato salad! It remids me of summer..... and I want to go 'streaming!

Old 03-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #145
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I am happy to find this thread. Just recently (two weeks ago), we decided to try meatless Monday. We had spaghetti with morning star crumbles in it. Since then I have picked up several of the Morning star farm nuggets, bean burgers, etc. Last night Amy said that she feels this is going to be too hard to do with an 8 year old at home. I am interested in going vegetarian about 4-5 days a week, but our lack of recipes and the fact that I think you have to shop more often for fresh produce have held us back a little. At least there is always PB&J!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
soldier, a good book for beginners is Linda McCartney's (yes, was married to Paul)
Home Cooking. Her recipes are geared towards families with kids and incorporate basic ingredients. Some of the recipes also incorporate dairy and eggs. You can find used copies on amazon.

Linda McCartney's Home Cooking by Linda McCartney - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #147
2 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Middle River , Maryland
I guess we're lucky. We leave on trips w/our freezer at capacity w/frozen veggies and some wild seafood. I do not eat meat but I don't keep John Barlow from eating it....I just don't cook it.
We have a full size freezer in our 31 Classic. I buy at Costco when I can while on the road. There is usually a good choice of organic frozen veggies and salad stuff there. I cook from scratch as much as possible but also keep tofu and some soy protein to use, as well.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #148
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
soldiermedic,

i have cooked vegetarian meals for kids on a number of occasions and the easiest thing to do is start by converting familiar meals ... just like you did with the pasta. not ever meal needs a "meat substitute" product. LOTS of food besides meat and meat-substitutes are great sources, or better sources of protein.

Getting kids to eat eggs & dairy and rice and whole grains are fairly easy. i think it's harder to get kids to eat their veggies; IMHO.

the average man and woman needs the following qty of proteins;

Average adult (19+) woman = 45g per day
Average adult (19+) man = 55g per day

one serving of chicken is 29g of protein. My usual breakfast, greek yogurt and granola, yields 19g of protein; almost 1/2 of what i need per day. Grains , legumes, nuts, seeds, dairy, eggs all are good sources of protein. Even veggies have protein!

Saying vegetarians "don't get enough protein" is simply the biggest misconception people have about going vegetarian.

You can increase all types of amino acids that make up a complete protein by varying what you eat; sneak the good stuff into their meals ... i even do this for myself. for instance, i made mushroom risotto and chopped kale into small pieces and mix it in.

Try cutting veggies small and mixing them in with pasta and sauce with mozzarella. Instead of making blueberry muffins with a standard recipe, jazz it up by using 1/2 whole wheat flour and seeds or nuts.

Snacks we have on hand almost always are a raisin and almond mix ( a bit of sugar for a pick me up and the almonds will keep your energy up after the 'sugar high' is over) baby carrots, Edamame (soy, a complete protein, we keep frozen in freezer. microwave and and sea salt... YUM) .

it's small changes over time that will make the transition to healthier eating easier and more likely to stick.

I try to stick to a very basic 'diet plan'; no / as little processed food as possible. cook it from scratch. this eliminates a boat load of bad stuff; soda, (mix 1/2 fruit juice and seltzer instead), candy bars, TV dinners, fast food, etc. Step 2: add veggies, reduce meat. Repeat.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A lot of dishes served as sides actually have plenty of protein on their own to serve as a main course, ie. baked beans/bean dishes, macaroni & cheese/pasta dishes, quiche, etc.

A book I loved as a young mommie on a tight budget was "More With Less", which focuses not so much on vegetarianism but on not duplicating or over-consuming proteins.

Eliminating a chunk of meat in a meal otherwise acceptable to children can be a good way to go.

Maggie
Old 03-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #150
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I've not eaten a great deal of meat most of my life; I can't remember ever desiring a "juicy steak", actually the thought turns my stomach.

Where I have problems is with iron intake, where do you all get enough iron?

Thanks.

Deb
Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #151

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
I've not eaten a great deal of meat most of my life; I can't remember ever desiring a "juicy steak", actually the thought turns my stomach.

Where I have problems is with iron intake, where do you all get enough iron?

Thanks.

Deb

The following plant sources of iron include:

Legumes: lentils, soybeans, tofu, tempeh, lima beans
Grains: quinoa, fortified cereals, brown rice, oatmeal
Nuts and seeds: pumpkin, squash, pine, pistacio, sunflower, cashews, unhulled sesame
Vegetables: tomato sauce, swiss chard, collard greens,
Other: blackstrap molasses, prune juice

I take a tablespoon of molasses a couple times a week but I eat a lot of the above and feel I'm getting enough iron. I don't eat a lot of tofu but love tempeh and use quinoa as a side dish instead of a lot of rice. Also eat foods that are high in vitamin C and it will increase your absorption of iron. My friend is a Vegan and has a lot of resources for you and they are very helpful if you have questions.

http://www.herbivoreclothing.com/
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
blmitch5, thank you for that list, I'm going to print it off to keep on-hand.

I eat a lot of raw spinach, and was thinking that it and kale had iron -- so you see some of where I have problems, thinking I'm getting certain vitamins/minerals where, in fact, I'm not.

Deb
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
'medic, there are lots of veggie cookbooks. My wife knows cookbooks, but I do remember she used to rely on the Horn of the Moon cookbooks. HOTM was a restaurant in Montpelier, Vt., that we discovered on a trip to N. Eng. about a dozen years ago. It was wonderful, but, unfortunately, it closed not too long after we were there. The cookbooks lived on. Just check out Amazon for it and also try "vegetarian cookbooks" for more. My wife has used the Trader Joe's cookbooks too.

Becoming a veggie (full or part time) takes some thought and time. It is not hard to get plenty of protein—most people eat far, far more than they need. The excess ends up as fat. Learning how to make sure you have enough takes a little time. Remember that beans and grains together make a complete protein, as do nuts and seeds. Tofu, tempeh and TVP all have lots of protein. Soy is (maybe) the only veggie with complete protein. The more veggies you mix together, the more likely you have complete protein.

You do have to watch for B12. If you take a multivitamin, you'll get enough B12. A lot of multivitamins overdue it, so I take a half of one every day and get an annual B12 test—the test is always normal. On the other side, my bad and total cholesterol are always well below standards.

Do it slowly to make it stick. For kids, the problem is that other children give kids who are in any way different a hard time. Some kids take to it more than their parents.

Gene
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #154
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When I was younger, , I took a multivitamin with iron every day. So did my children. I am a firm believer in them, an easy way to add to what hopefully is a balanced det.

We still take multivitamin and mineral supplements every day, just not with iron for me because the extra iron causes different issues as you get older. . And, not everyone needs the supplement.

My kids ate eggs several times a week as they were growing up, we still eat eggs once or twice a week. They are a whole food, and i believe in them. Excellent source of protein and iron. Vegans probably find this more challenging. We could never be vegan.

The new whole wheat and veggie pastas are really excellent, and are very kid friendly.

Maggie