Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #101
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by romap View Post
Hey Bob,

Beef on Weck reminds me of a small obscure place in Buffalo called Charlie the Butcher. Ever been there? Yummy.

The best in the City, it's a franchise now...

Charlie the Butcher, Carving Beef on Weck ... and Other Gastronomic Delights!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #102
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Bob, I remember Bailo's back in the '70's for Beef on Weck and the Arkansas (pronounced "R-Kansas") Bar for wings.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #103
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Bailo's..burned down 'bout 20yrs ago, was the hang-out though.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #104
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
How about food and a trip at the same time, if you can call Bourbon a food. Try the KY Bourbon Trail from Bardstown to Lexington. This nicely marked trip takes you to several very popular distilleries. You can purchase some of Kentucky's finest but you better wait till you get back to the campground to sample. I suggest touring the beautiful Woodford Reserve, smooth. And if you get really crazy drive down to Tompkinsville, KY for a deep fried Dovie's Burger. Quarter pounder cooked in a deep fryer, bun and all! Heart attack maker.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
tobasco

Posted on Airstream Germany.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
I just found this thread, so I haven't had time to read it all, but if no one else has mentioned these two, these are to die for!!

1) Tia Sophia's, Santa Fe, NM -- Absolutely, without a doubt, the most fabulous and best breakfast I've ever had..............homemade blueberry pancakes.

2) Jorjes, Pueblo, CO (I'm certain I misspelled Jorjes) -- We are Mexican food lovers, but this has to be the best we've ever, ever had!

These two restaurants are so wonderful that we have talked about going back out West specifically to go to them again.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #107
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
In Santa Fe, try the huevos rancheros at Zia. Some of the decor, especially the hanging lamps is pretty cool too—sort of Southwest style Art Deco.

I don't think we've been to Jorge's, and my wife grew up in Pueblo. I'll have to ask her.

Gene
Old 11-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Gene,

Thanks for the info on "Zia", we'll definitely try it when we get out there again.

A couple of years ago we went out West to attend the NSRA (street rods) car show in Pueblo, CO, that's how we found out about Jorges. We had a group of four or five couples from our old car club and we all drove out together.

On the way to Pueblo, we made a stop in Sante Fe, NM. It turned out to be a lucky stop for us -- our third member went out in our rear end and we had to have that replaced. We found a local member of the NSRA (fellow pages -- a good thing to carry with you) who knew of a top notch repair shop. They actually worked us right in and we were only down two days! And, the best part is they knew what they were doing!! Really great people.

Anyway, we stayed in the big hotel downtown over night and that's how we found Tia Sophia's restaurant (breakfast).

Thanks again, Gene.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #109
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Deb,

I asked my wife whether we'd been to Jorge's and she said we had. It's kind of minimal on decoration. We liked it, her parents didn't, so we've never been back. I thought the food was more genuine southwestern. When Obama was in Pueblo he ate there and that made the place better known.

In Santa Fe, was usually have one meal at the Blue Corn Cafe. There's a small Asian food place on Cerillos that we have eaten at a couple of times, but I can't remember the name.

Gene
Old 11-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #110
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The small Asian place is called Moo Do Noodles (spelling may be wrong). It's good. There's a crazy woman who lives in a house behind the restaurant that complains if you park in front of her house, but there are no signs saying you can except one she has in her driveway. Another Asian restaurant is Jinja a bit north of the center of town on N. Guadalupe It's also good, but lately we are liking the other place more. Jinja is in a large shopping center and quite popular.

Another popular place is Tomasita's on S. Guadalupe. We were there earlier in the year and in our opinion it had gone downhill.

There are more than 300 restaurants in the SF area and eventually we will try most of them. As for Pueblo, it is not a culinary center and I doubt the Michelin Guide will ever go there.

Gene
Old 11-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
A favorite of ours is the Plaza Restaurant. It's right on the Santa Fe plaza. Great food and outrageously good desserts. They're currently closed do to a fire but should reopen soon. Yes - Tia Sophia's is a great breakfast/lunch spot.

The Zia is another favorite. We were just there a couple of weeks ago with some friends.

But... You haven't eaten in Santa Fe unless you've had a green chile cheeseburger from Burt's Burger Bowl. Bert's Burger Bowl - Santa Fe, NM

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #112
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Jim's Fish Fry

Back when I lived in Syracuse, I loved going to Jim's. A small family resaurant that's been there for years. They'll sell you just fish by the pound if you're into fixin' your own side dishes. If you find yourself rollin down US11, look for them across the street from the Crouse Hinds factory. Or take exit 25 off I-81. Check out their menu here.Jim's Fish Fry Menu - Syracuse, NY 13208 - (315) 471-9755

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We still hunt out small local Maid-Rites anytime we're driving around the midWest. Our kids grew up on them--with ice cold bottled Pepsi--in our little town of Trenton, MO, and we all still love them. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
Taylor's Maid-Rite of Marshalltown Iowa is the Best of the Best!
Now that I'm thinking about it we may need to drive there this weekend.
Eating at the counter, and the line to be seated always moves fast.
Their website name says it all Taylor's Maid-Rite
And they will ship!