Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Never let it be said you can't teach an old dog.
I just ordered a french press on Amazon.
One with a stainless pot (no glass)

Thanks for the advice. (and putting up with my debating you.)
Who knew a "cup" was only 4 oz. in coffee parlance?
So I got a 6 cup maker, which might make two cups for me.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Yep, 32 oz is two cups.

That sounds like the one we use.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Mmmmm.... French press is so yummy coffee, the best way to make it.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
We use victor allen donut shop blend we get at the commissary. Good price on base and good taste.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
We also use a single cup brewer that allows you to add various amounts of water a thus control strength. It's small and perfect for AS travel.
Aicok Single Serve Coffee Maker, Coffee Machine for Most single cup pods, including K-Cup pods, Travel One Cup Coffee Brewer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015E971CG..._uYgozbPS52NKW
Old 06-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Smile

[B]Mollysdad ROFL at your responses!! I can identify. I'm a nurse, have had a lot of bad coffee at all hours of the day and night, and it all was fine with me when I drank it.

In the AS, i bring a small Keurig. Doug doesn't drink coffee, only me. The grandkids that usually accompany us on our camping adventures- ages 6 and 4- make a fantastic cup of coffee for me in the a.m. in the Keurig, and we all have a sense of accomplishment and vim as we plan our day.

I buy whatever is on sale pod-wise at the grocery- Green Mtn is good as is SB Pike's Peak. As I say, my tastes are not that refined, but the look on the kids' faces when they fill that coffee cup for me makes it the BEST cup ever!!

BTW, I ordered a sampler of the SF Bay coffee too after reading this thread. Thanks!
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, so if we are now into the "truth in lending" clause in all of this...What I keep thinking about somehow fitting into the AS is:

https://us.jura.com/en/homeproducts/...5-Alu-UL-13623

Yes, it *is* a bit large. Yes, it does take a bit to clean up. Yes, it's a bit (yikes!!) expensive. No, the milk and coffee can't be left in it for weeks (I know this from experience). Push button coffee does have it's advantages.

Maybe if we tear out the dinette and just eat on the floor ... hmmm ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Keurig cups are an environmental nightmare. Avoid them, wherever possible. A simple Melitta pour-over filter will deliver great coffee with none of the drawbacks.
Not true. If you remover the aluminum foil and empty the contents the cup can be recycled.

-Alan
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP54 View Post
[B]Mollysdad ROFL at your responses!! I can identify.
Thanks. You get it!

To prove no good deed goes unpunished, after I ordered a french press, I decided to descale my Keurig for the first time in (?) years. White vinegar in the water tank, run it through and then rinse with just water. Well, the Keurig died. After 10 years, I descale it and it quit. It won't pump water. Maybe the scale was the only thing holding it together!
However, I have a box of SF pods on the way, so now I'm considering another Keurig. I hate to rip open the pods and use them in the french press.
First world problems.

BTW, I understand the Keurig 2.0 uses a RF ID chip in the pods, so you can't use your own coffee. I'd get the simple K-55.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
. . .
First world problems.
. . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I have killed a number of pump based coffee makers over the years by descaling them. It is not at all an uncommon thing to have happen. Fortunately I now live about 40 minutes from a repair center (for Jura stuff). That and their flat rate service makes it *much* less painful.

Bob
Old 06-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Thanks. You get it!

To prove no good deed goes unpunished, after I ordered a french press, I decided to descale my Keurig for the first time in (?) years. White vinegar in the water tank, run it through and then rinse with just water. Well, the Keurig died. After 10 years, I descale it and it quit. It won't pump water. Maybe the scale was the only thing holding it together!

However, I have a box of SF pods on the way, so now I'm considering another Keurig. I hate to rip open the pods and use them in the french press.

First world problems.

BTW, I understand the Keurig 2.0 uses a RF ID chip in the pods, so you can't use your own coffee. I'd get the simple K-55.

Send me the pods if you're not getting another keurig. Besides - you clearly don't understand how their packaging improves flavor anyway, you coffee heathen! [emoji23]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Thanks. You get it!

First world problems.

Full disclosure, my "Keurig" is actually a Mr.Coffee brand Keurig machine, cheapest of the cheap I will certainly remember your sad sequence of events and NEVER try to descale this puppy- thank you for the heads-up
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:24 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The two successful approaches to descaling are to do it often or to do it never. Doing it occasionally is not a good idea. Often in this case means more than once a year for my use.

There is another alternative, you can use semiconductor grade de-ionized water as your source of water for the machine. This is the stuff that becomes measurably contaminated when you expose it to air. You will *never* need to descale the machine ever. You will eventually dissolve the stainless steel innards of the machine. I have empirical evidence that they do not dissolve in 13 years of use No, don't do this unless you *fully* understand all the implications.

Bob
Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
The two successful approaches to descaling are to do it often or to do it never. Doing it occasionally is not a good idea.
I was surprised because I NEVER used tap water. I used distilled water for years, until someone said coffee needed the minerals in purified water. So I switched to bottled water.
Now if someone could point out the difference between "Purified water", "Spring water", and "Drinking water" in the grocery. The store has no idea.

A few years ago I covered a Nascar race in California, Ontario track. The infield has a thousand RV's and there's a vendor selling "spring water" out of a tanker truck for $20. I watched many times as the tanker went behind the bathrooms, picked up a frayed firehose off the ground, put it in his tank and opened the fire hydrant. That was his "spring"!
Old 06-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #36
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm not real convinced that you can notice the taste of normal water coming through a good strong cup of coffee. Maybe somebody on the planet can, I know I can't. If you want to reduce scale, you want "deionized water". Unless they did something really weird to "make it", it should be tasteless.

Another option to reduce scale is to run an RO system. If you have very hard water, it probably is a good idea.

Bob